Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

looking for supercheap semiscale aerobat arf

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

looking for supercheap semiscale aerobat arf

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:33 AM
nads
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for supercheap semiscale aerobat arf

I'm looking for the cheapest scale-like extra/edge/cap/sukoi 40 sized arf I can find... yet I don't want it to fly like total junk. Any recommendations? I'm mostly after something to bang around in the sky and not worry too awful much about tearing up.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:23 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Great Planes is a nice flyer. Not sure what they're going for now, but it is a good design.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:37 PM
SVFlier

VMAR meets your requirements, and you get exactly what you pay for.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:41 PM
bowmaker

Default Cheap ARF's

Greetings
I have purchased cheap ARF's to just bang around and they are not worth it. If you crash and burn (which does happen) you buy another and end up spending the same amount as you would have on a more high quality model. Penny wise and dollar foolish the old saying goes. I believe thats true here. Just my opinion.
Bowmaker
Old 08-16-2003, 06:54 PM
nads

Hey now, who's planning on crashing? I just want one I dont' care about a bit of hangar rash or cut covering now and again.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Katana

the smaller planes you can try stuff low and imagine crashing a 40 size than a 30 percent hmm which would you prefer. I would get a edge
Old 08-17-2003, 11:38 AM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Tower has the Hobbic Spectrum 40 fo $99. I've got one. It's not scale, but it's really complete for $100, and they do fly well.

just a suggestion.

phil in austin
Old 08-18-2003, 01:01 AM
doctorgo
My Feedback: (5)

Penny wise...Pound foolish. (pound Sterling, that is.)
Old 08-18-2003, 11:44 AM
phuffstatler

Originally posted by doctorgo
Penny wise...Pound foolish. (pound Sterling, that is.)
I tend to agree with you on that, Doc. You get what you pay for, usually... Personally, if it's ALL about the money, the fellow Nads above should be learning to scratch build, or try SPADS, or some such. I think that's the cheapest way you get a 'new' plane. The next best way is swap meets. Buy everything at bargain prices, but then, there you go again, you may be getting junk, but you already paid junk prices, so sometimes you win, sometimes you lose....

phil in austin
Old 08-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Shovel-Head
My Feedback: (1)

Why not try one of the Fun-Key 30 Size ARF's. They have an Extra, Cap, and Sukhio. It seems like most guys put 46 size engines in them and get great performance. There pretty cheap, I think there around $135. But as you might know fun-key AKA yellow arf's have some of the best made products out there. I think one of these would be your best bet?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:02 PM
nads

Originally posted by phuffstatler
Personally, if it's ALL about the money, the fellow Nads above should be learning to scratch build, or try SPADS, or some such. I think that's the cheapest way you get a 'new' plane. ....
phil in austin
In my case its not actually all about the money. Its actually about getting a plane that I don't care so much about. I've owned only one ARF, my trainer, and I've built a half dozen kits. Every plane I've ever owned needs nothing more than a charge and fuel to be in the air. I believe the primary reason I still have everything is that I fly conservatively because I'd hate to damage any of the kits that I put all of my effort into building. I've never come close to testing the limits of my somethin' extra or my hog bipe just because I'd hate to lose either of them.

My idea is to get a plane that I have no/less fear in wringing out by getting rid of the 1. the attachment of having built it and 2. cost. I've thought about getting an uproar, or a sig ultimate fun fly. I've built spads for combat in the past. But in this case I'm still leaning toward one of the numberous arfs out there.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:30 AM
phuffstatler

Ok, I can understand that... My own experience is that, even after flying r/c for more than ten years, and a youth spent piddling with Control Line and Free Flight, I still can't bring myself to not care about what happens to any of them... If I don't care about it, then I won't own it. I'll pass it on to someone else.
But, that's me.... There is always risk involved.

If you aren't risking, you aren't living. If you always choose the safe way, you'll be bored to tears in no time... I know I would be.

'Nuff said. Good luck in your search.

phil in austin
Old 08-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Actually, I've found that the planes that I don't care much about are the ones that survive the best. I'm much more relaxed banging around with my little ugly stick (hmm... that's doesn't sound right ), it probably makes me a better pilot. I can't say that about some of my other planes that cost a lot more in building time and dollar spent.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:54 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Cheap equals poor quality, poor workmanship, poor materials, and most of all, poor flight characteristics. The difference between the "super cheap" and the moderately price planes are usually only about $40.00.
I know you said you wanted a "scale like" airplane but if you are really looking for a durable, reliable and tough airplane that you can throw some abuse at, you may want to try the .40 size Ultra stick. $129.99 at most places and it is a quality airplane that will take most of the abuse you can throw at it. Not to mention it flys pretty darn good!
Great Planes also sells a Big Stick .40 ARF for $124.99
I would much rather spend $129.99 for a good quality,good flying airplane that does not have the "stylish curves" of an Extra 300 than spend $150.00 to $170.00 for a piece of junk VMAR just cause it looks like "a real airplane". But, its your money my friend!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:49 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest these planes that fit your criteria:

1. Hanger 9 40 CAP 232 sport. I had 3 (dont ask) and they are very nice to learn on and fly extremely well. My LHS has them for $79 as they are discontinued. Great bargain!

2. Hobbico Spectrum. My buddy has one and its a really nice flying plane for $99 from Tower

just a few suggestions for you

good luck
Old 08-20-2003, 12:02 PM
bowmaker

Default Cheap aerobat

I think that since you have built SPADS in the past you should revisit them . I am currently flying a 4 foot wingspan plane with a 36inch fusalage with dual aileron servos, elevator and 40fx. With 15% nitro this plane can really haul A**. I think if I add a rudder and a 46fx I will be able to hover cleanly. Lots of fun and less than 10 bucks for the airframe. It has become one of my favorite beater planes. The guys in the club say it looks like a bomber coming in to land.

Bowmaker