Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Camcorder batteries Electric Micro Helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Camcorder batteries Electric Micro Helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Hobbysect
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camcorder batteries Electric Micro Helicopter

I have a Piccolo/Smartech Skylark. I am using currently 8.4 volt Ni-MH batterypacks and they arn't charging fully and are about a year old. Has anyone tried to use any camcorder batteries for there electric micro helis? I am going to try to use these Polaroid PR530L Lithium Ion 7.2/1450 mAh that I received from Radio Shack for free when I worked there. I received 5 total and didn't have a use for them till now. Of course I need to modify the battery packs and make a charging cradle to mount to my RS Cam Bat Charger. I think this will work, but I won't know till I get them charged and do some test fights or flight . If anyone has tried this Please post your stories and leave your advise on how it worked.
Thanks
Aantoin
Old 08-16-2003, 03:16 PM
jeffs555

They may or may not work. The problem will be the maximum current. Most of these packs are rated for a maximum current of twice their capacity, so your packs are probably only rated for about 2.9amps. The Piccolo/Skylark/Hummingbird type helis will draw 3 to 5 amps, so you will be running the packs above their rating. Lithium Ion can explode in a violent fireball if abused, so they all have built in safety circuits. If the safety circuits cut out in flight, you will loose all power and crash. Two years ago, a lot of people were experimenting with Lithium Ion from cellphones and camcorders, but now that inexpensive Lithium Polymer packs are available, the experimenting has pretty much stopped. Lithium Polymer will handle more current, is lighter, and a lot safer.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Hobbysect
My Feedback: (7)

It didnt work for me, at all. There wasn't enough power to even get it off the ground not enough to even make it light on its skids. I guess I need 8.4 volts. I would like to try a 9.6 volt pack but I have read that it will burn out some of the electronics. The helicopter I have is piccolo Heli with Smartech electronics. I am guessing that, the ly-poly batterys wont even work for me unless the have a 8.4 volt setup. All that I have seen so far where 7.2 and less. I am just ****** out of luck till I have some money.
Thanks
Aantoin