Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Before i buy my new truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM
dr.savage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before i buy my new truck

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><p class="MsoNormal"><span class="apple-style-span"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif";color:black">I was ready to buy my new monster truck, I had a pretty god idea on what I wanted, the 2011 Savage x 4.6. I don't think it&rsquo;s such a good idea anymore. I was doing some reading and u saw that many people are having problems with the servo, front diff, and bend dog bones.</span></span><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif";color:black">

<span class="apple-style-span">Does anybody know if these issues have been resolved by HPI, or I should just save a little more for something different ?</span>

<span class="apple-style-span">Thank you</span></span></p></font>
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Before i buy my new truck

steering servos on most RTR's SUCK (would say all but there might be one with a good one that I don't know about)
Thing you have to realize with monster trucks people jump the savage insanely high into the air, and land BAD
One bad landing WOT (Wide Open Throttle) could trash a differential on any RC.
Dog bones bending I didn't hear about that one. They sell HD ones anyways so no big deal
BTW if the parts you listed break on a new savage HPI generally will just send you free replacements the 1st time.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Freezetron

HPI is a good company to deal with, they stand by their products for 2 years after purchase. If you get the right person on the phone and tell them your plight/issue, you can pretty much gaurrentee a free replacement part. It took a few phone calls but I finally got a nice guy at HPI the other day as i've been having issues with my stock steering servo getting knocked out of alightment during jumps. None of the gears are stripped, nothing broken in the steering assembly, the servo somehow just looses its alighnment and their shipping me a replacement one and I don't even have to send the old one back. Thats customer service
Old 06-25-2011, 03:58 PM
steed2-inactive

keep in mind the savage is probably the toughest rtr rc monster truck outta the box. you can go months without breaking anything and then have a bad streak and break servo's, fuel tanks, dogbones, differentials...etc. we all go through those phases. also its good to get the feeling for your truck before you bash the hell out of it. there's alot of " i have only had this thing 2 days and already..." . Its more than likely user error. for example the only time i have had a crown and pinion go bad on me was from bearing failure. dont land a jump hard on the gas, or brakes. the stock engine and brakes on a savage will not break a crown and pinion on the ground. I would put my money on jumps gone wrong. and dont buy new dogbones when they bend, straighten them with a piece of flat bar and a hammer...it takes about 45 seconds....buy the savage...or buy something else and then buy a savage after one of your buddies does and whoops your @#$....rant done!-scott
Old 06-26-2011, 06:03 PM
whipnet

If you want to go nitro, that's the MT to get. You won't regret it.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:11 PM
llkoolskillet

IF you dont get the Savage you will regret it so bad and wish that you did. No other Truck can do the things a Savage can do. The support for the truck is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shop on ebay and save yourself a ton of money.

I will personally laugh at you for the rest of your life is you dont buy the savage, lol.................................im drunk hehe

I recommend the XL cause when the X parts break you upgrade to XL parts

JUST BUY THE DAMN SAVAGE
Old 06-28-2011, 04:34 AM
russ81072

i also agree with everyone else. i own the new savage and i have had no problems with it at all, it is one bad mamma jamma! the one thing that bugged me about it was it would not keep the front wheels on the the ground, but i modded a traxxas wheelie bar to itthanks to llkoolskillet's post. i friggin LOVE my savage, my tmaxx sits on the table in my work shop more than ever now,
unless the wifey takes it out for some girly bashin!! lol. do yourself a favor and go with the savage, you will not regret it at all!!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I guess you shouldn't have signed up with the model of RC in you user name then.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

I guess you shouldn't have signed up with the model of RC in you user name then.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[:-]
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Alain2

I have no problem with the stock servos. They are not bad.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 AM
russ81072

huh?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: russ81072

[img][/img]huh?

read the OP's name, and 1st post
IMO its kinda weird why you would pick that name and have doubts about buying a savage
Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 AM
whipnet

There should never be doubt about buying a Savage.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Yep Dr.Savage is having doubts in his first post about a machine he doesnt own.

Maybe he already abandon ship and is now known as dr.revo
Old 06-29-2011, 01:12 PM
llkoolskillet

Yep Dr.Savage is having doubts in his first post about a machine he doesnt own.

Maybe he already abandon ship and is now known as dr.revo
HAHAHAHAHAHA way to funny
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Savage-Basher-666

I love my SAVAGE FLUX. Now I own 3 of them

You won't be sorry!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:45 AM
russ81072

oh!!! duh!!! i am a little slow i guess LOL!!! i didn't pay attention there, WOW
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: russ81072

[img][/img]huh?

read the OP's name, and 1st post
IMO its kinda weird why you would pick that name and have doubts about buying a savage
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

i used to have the savage x 4.6. of all the nitro savages, it comes with the most reliable and powerful engine. even though the xl comes with a bigger engine, it just doesn't rip as good as the f4.6 engine. that savage x 4.6 was my favorite nitro truck that i have owned. once i got out of nitro, i simply just sold it and got a flux.

the k series engines from hpi are from the same maker as axial engines. they are generally lower RPMs, harder to tune, run hotter, and don't last as long.

the f series engines from hpi are from the same maker as the ofna force engines. they hold a tune very nicely, run nice and cool, and just crank out so much torque and RPMs. they also last a long time too. i've seen them running after 10 gallons while k series engines usually don't last long after 4 gallons.

now, if you want some SERIOUS power, get a savage flux. either way, you will be very happy with any savage you get. they are tough as nails, and are just simply built for bashing and abuse.

edit: 800th post