Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What is needed to convert XL to Flux?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
llkoolskillet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is needed to convert XL to Flux?

So ive decided that its way cheaper to convert my XL to a flux than buy a new HP. I think ive pretty much got everything i think i will need on paper to do this. However i would like some opinions on weather or not im missing anything or should change something.

The List:
Flux TVP's
Flux motor mount kit
Flux battery boxes
Flux HP tranny
Flux pinion gears 25t/20t
Flux 44t spur gear
Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv motor/esc combo
Castle Link
Turnigy 5200 2s 30c lipos X2

My XL already has:
BP diffs
XL axles/ dogbones
XL extended drive cups
Flux Big Bores
Spektrum 2.0 radio
Bullet Proof 3 speed, but i am kinda skeptical on using this on a Flux

Is there anything im missing? Ive been researching all this off ebay and other sites and so far the total comes to a little less than $450 shipped for everything.
I do enjoy the XL so what would be recommended to keep that length? What about the battery charger?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
canas11267
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What is needed to convert XL to Flux?

HOw old is your xl? and what shape is it in??? instead of spending 450 upgrading it part out your xl and just buy a new hp for 125 more!! i just got mine and its so worth it! sell the motor the xl roller pull off any xtras and sell if you have stock parts put them back on..thats what Idid..you will make more than you think....i just sold a xl roller for 225 plus shipping..motor was over a 100 and had a bunch of xtras i sold off......
Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM
llkoolskillet

Well the Savage im thinking of converting was originally an X that i bought off ebay had 5 scratches on it. When i got it i converted the diffs to BP diffs. It was only recently that i converted it to an XL. In fact i havent even ran the truck since i converted it. So all the parts that are XL are brand new! I would say the diffs have maybe a gallon thru them, maybe. I also have a brand new Picco P3 28 new in box that i want to mod like my other one. Lets keep in mind here i also did the bullet proof 3 speed mod on the tranny w. optional h/s 3rd gear. If i was to put the chassis up on ebay with no motor and no servos or radio what do you think i could get for it? When you sold yours did you have the servos in it? Do you really think that i can get alot of money for it? Cause $450 is alot better than $800-900 for a new HP. You say that you spent $125+ what you got off your XL to buy your HP. May i ask how much you spent in total including batteries and charger? I know the truck is $600 but what about everything else?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

for the tranny you basically only need the flux idler gear which is like $5-10
think I'm running a 18t pinion, and can still flip it in a heartbeat.

TVP's you can get the TCS 5mm TVP's with a lifetime you destroy it you get a new one for free warranty for $20 in almost any color you could want. They also have a XL length flux TVP setup for more cash
When I converted my .21 to electric I originally only got the ESC setup, and idler gear, and made my own battery box's, and motor mount. When I moved to the flux TVP setup I got the motor mount setup, TCS TVPs', and battery box's. (3 weeks ago I got the bullet proof diffs still same tranny though). In al honesty it should only cost around $75 for the hardware to make it a flux outside the motor/ESC
Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 PM
canas11267

you could sell your roller for 225 plus shipping maybe more bc you have the bproof diffs. Ijust bought stock servos and replaced them because i had in hitec servos. dont give anything away! I bought 2 batteries to make it 6s and a lipo charger for 125 shipped! Hard case zippy batteries!i have a buddy who sells batteries and chargers Ican get you a good deal ifyou want. pm me. i also bought the xl conversion set and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!if the motor is new in the box sell it for what others are and just ship it for free so yours is cheaper than the new motors listed on e bay. I do this all the time to get new items and rarely spend any of my own money... also if you get the xl hp sell the body, the outdrives and tvps right away this will pay for the xl kit!!! so you get it for free ( this is what i did) sell your roller wo a body and your set!!! if you have a radio sell it separate etc servos</p>
Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 PM
llkoolskillet

Yes i agree with you i can get over $500 for the truck and brand new picco. but like syco venom says it should cost $70 minus the motor and esc. meaning i could do this for less than $350. I am a metal smith and welder meaning i can make my own parts.

The reason im wanting to convert to electric is beacuse like most im tired of the problems with nitro. HOWEVER a properly tuned nitro will perform the same as an electric and i some cases beat an electric ( Erevo) not a flux BUT i do like tha fact that the flux is getting a S**T ton of AWESOME reviews and blowing the crap out of the best of nitro. I still think an amazing modded nitro engine will satisfy me i just want something thats less headaches then trying to start.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: canas11267

you could sell your roller for 225 plus shipping maybe more bc you have the bproof diffs. I just bought stock servos and replaced them because i had in hitec servos. dont give anything away! I bought 2 batteries to make it 6s and a lipo charger for 125 shipped! Hard case zippy batteries!i have a buddy who sells batteries and chargers I can get you a good deal if you want. pm me. i also bought the xl conversion set and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! if the motor is new in the box sell it for what others are and just ship it for free so yours is cheaper than the new motors listed on e bay. I do this all the time to get new items and rarely spend any of my own money... also if you get the xl hp sell the body, the outdrives and tvps right away this will pay for the xl kit!!! so you get it for free ( this is what i did) sell your roller wo a body and your set!!! if you have a radio sell it separate etc servos</p>
so your telling me that you sold your XL kit for $600 and then added $125 for the batteries and charger? Im still finding it hard to believe.
$500 included the Mamaba monster 2200kv the BADASS motor and ESC. I mean this rout for $500 is the best of all worlds. The best drive train, the best engine, the somewhat best radio, everything else XL you cant go wrong IMO. I do thank you for your help i just would like a few more details thats all. I would rather go flux than 5B but i love the smell and sound of end bleed nitro!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 PM
canas11267

no way i could have made that much on a stoc xl but this is how i basically disected it!
i sold the roller for 225
the motor for (lrp 30) 125 shipped
hitec servo (7955) 80
hitec (5955 i believe) 55
stock wheels new 15
integy sid plates 40 for front and rear.
proline 40 series tires and rims (80 plus shipping)
various other parts ( approx 50)

e bay adds up quick minus the fees you have to pay!

and Iuse to think the same thing about the nitro electric controversy....there is no way a well tuned nitro could ever keep up with a flux hp!!!!!! this thing is amazing!!! I got sick of nitro because Ihave 2 young boys and it was frustrating trying to enjoy the hobby with them when the frickin thing wouldnt start etc........Istill have a xl nitro and a 5309 revo
Old 07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet
I am a metal smith and welder meaning i can make my own parts.
You could do it cheaper then
You could just go make a bracket that fits where the nitro motor goes. If you notice there are 3 screw holes (not sure if they were on the flux) near the spur. Originally when I used a .21 chassis I took and bolted a piece of aluminum to those holes and sloppily drilled holes to hold a motor there. I would have stayed with that setup if I could have done a neater job, but I lack the tools so I said screw it and got the flux parts. I will say I found the motor couldn't shift in the slightest unlike the flu'x motor mount. You can also just make battery box's for it if you go that way.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 PM
llkoolskillet

yeah your right i could just make custom mounts for it all for free at work. I would have to buy the motor mounts tho and make everything else. The power is out in my shop for another 2 weeks so when it comes on its game on.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

yeah your right i could just make custom mounts for it all for free at work. I would have to buy the motor mounts tho and make everything else. The power is out in my shop for another 2 weeks so when it comes on its game on.
not really if you make a mount where you can bolt the motor to it and slide it up, and down it would work
here is a crappy pic of the one I made using a 60 something year old power drill, and a hammer.
IMO if I could have perfected it it would be a superior mount than HPI's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32642.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1631621  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 AM
llkoolskillet

i see what your sayin now, then just custom fab a rear bracket to hold the back of the motor then a plate for the esc. Hmmm this is looking easier and easier now.