Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP AT-6 Ready for Takeoff!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP AT-6 Ready for Takeoff!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 01:28 AM
Galloping Ghost
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP AT-6 Ready for Takeoff!!!

Here's a pic of my GP Texan (purchased on the forum) ready for it's maiden flight. I was happy with the kit overall.

Engine: Magnum .80 (purchased on the forum)
Radio: Hitec Laser 6

Hopefully, I will be flying this plane tomorrow, weather permitting!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102468_40255.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	57896  
Old 08-18-2003, 05:00 PM
ABORH

How'd it fly? I am using the same engine!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:33 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

NICE LOOKER!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Galloping Ghost

Default Successful Maiden!!!

I flew the Texan tonight in perfect conditions, and I'm happy to report that it flys very well.

I was really nervous with the plane, as it is only my second low winger, so I had one of the club "experts" trim it out before handing me the box. Thankfully, I was worried for naught. The plane flys much slower than I thought it would, but the power is there when you want it with the Magnum .80

The poor ground handling that I'd read so much about never materialized; it tracked straight with minimal rudder correction.

All things considered, the plane has surpassed my expectations so far. Can't wait to fly her again!

Name:	102754_40255.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	57897  
Old 08-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations on a nicely done project and thanks for the positive comments. Successes are norm with most ARF's and it is fun to see another satisfying it's owner.

This kit has been negatively beaten in this Forum, mostly by people who have little or no hands on experience with it.

Great Planes reputation for quality ARF's with sound flight characteristics is consistently good, certainly better than many in this hobby can do themselves.

I have been in this hobby many years and my experience around whining weiners in recent times confirms they create their own failures, but will never admit it.

Go fly the T6 and have fun.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:13 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Nice close-up picture. I wish we could get shots like that. How close do you get to the camera for a shot like that.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:28 PM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys I saw Galloping Ghost on his maiden voyage with the AT-6 last night and It really is beautiful! He made several low slow passes with it and I think the Magnum really makes this a great plane! I have seen other GP AT-6's flown by people not preform as graceful as Galloping Ghost and his club expert made this one look.

***** G R E A T P L A N E !!
Old 08-19-2003, 08:04 PM
ABORH

Thank you for the report!
I am equiping mine with retractable landing gear. I took the time to strengthen the mounting spars and hope that they will last a while. I have also used wheels which are one size larger than the ones in the kit since I fly off of a grass field. Time has been a problem so I will not have it done for a while, but will let this forum know my impression as soon as I can.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Galloping Ghost

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the positive comments.

Dick, I agree with you 100% IMHO, this kit is put together better than 90% of us could if we had the time, and I don't have the time to build a kit. There's still enough work to do on an ARF to feel like you've accomplished something, plus there are always areas where you can tweak them a little and (hopefully) make them better. You're dead on about some flyers creating their own problems. I've seen it many times.

Twostroker, you have to be close in to get pics like that, or have a strong zoom. The plane was probably 10 feet (or less!) away for that pic. I was a little bummed that it came out so blurry.

Aborh, you're wise to beef up the landing gear area, as I've read complaints about weakness there. I chose fixed gear since I fly off grass. Let me know how you make out with yours.

RC, thanks for the kind words!

Name:	102984_40255.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	57898