Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Syssa Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:34 PM
hyflyer9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syssa Engines

Hello I am looking for any info that you might have about the syssa engines if any one out there has one or knows any thing about them any info would be a great help as i am looking at buying one for my war bird but I would like to find as much info as i can before i spend out the $ .
thank you .
Old 08-20-2011, 04:53 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Syssa Engines

The Syssa 30 was intended for inverted mounting.

It has a rear mounted Walbro carb with accelerator pump

It has a Pitts style rear muffler with generous dual outlets that you can restrict with adapters from Syssa if you need a reduced sound level

The engine has a single bolt prop drive

The engine costs more than a DLE 30 but when you factor in the Pitts muffler and single bolt prop dive, it costs the same as a DLE 30 when you add those features to the DLE.

The engine likes rpm more than the DLE which means you run a size smaller prop than you would with a DLE but the engine turns more rpm.

The engine is made in the USA.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 PM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

icely said.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 PM
hyflyer9

ORIGINAL: w8ye

It has a Pitts style rear muffler with generous dual outlets that you can restrict with adapters from Syssa if you need a reduced sound level

The engine costs more than a DLE 30 but when you factor in the Pitts muffler and single bolt prop dive, it costs the same as a DLE 30 when you add those features to the DLE.

The engine likes rpm more than the DLE which means you run a size smaller prop than you would with a DLE but the engine turns more rpm.

Are they good Engines good power to weight and reliable
Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Are they good Engines good power to weight and reliable
Yes.

Here's a link to everything you'd like to know about them, and then some.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8862472/tm.htm
Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 AM
kerwin50

It's just a shame we don't have the tariff's in place to really level the playing field.
Talk about stimulating the ecomony, ssya would have to hire alot more employees if they were cheaper due to Tariffs
We wouldn't have a budget crisis either if america was producing again.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I love this forum. Every friggin topic is three or four engine distributors complaining about the world economy with the common answer of we need to shut off the rest of the world . Listen you Ron Paul supporters, it ain't gonna happen even if I wanted it too. we're gonna have to find a way to compete or go out of business. Endless complaining in this forum will do nothing except what it has done, turn any thread into an anti competition thread.

Guy asked questions about an engine. Not whether Mao Tse Tung gets a cut.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS

One way you should look at the price of the Syssa engine is it comes with a Pitts muffler included.
If you look at the cost for an after market Pitts muffler ( 75 - 120 usd) and subtract that amount from the cost of a Syssa 30 cc you will find that the cost of the engine is not that high.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

I own one..Easy starting and very very reliable and runs extremely smooth without burbling when tuned properly. Top quality components, rear muffler makes for an extremely nice install. It does like the higher rpm as already noted plus all the other features mentioned....Well worth the money invested.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM
hyflyer9

It sounds like it would be a very good choice engine for me And i really like the rear muffler set up and all the extra's that come with it. I also like the size factor as i am looking for a 30cc engine that will fit into a smaller cowl without having to cut up the cowl to make it fit . Thanks for your input on this guy's I think i am going to get one for my ESM P39 and i will post some photos here when it is ready to go along with some set up photos as well.
hyflyer9.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS

SOUNDS LIKKE A COMBO i WOULD USE
Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've handled the Syssa and found it to be a very high quality engine. definately one I would have on my "buy" list if I needed an engine in that size class.

In reply to Mr. Clean;

You mentioned learning how to "compete". The only way to do that is pay a lot less for labor. Are you willing to accept a 90% cut in pay and a clomplete elimination of benefits, while tossing out all workplace health and safety regulations? We also need to recognize the Chinese currency value is being held artificailly low by their government to provide an even greater trade advantage, so perhaps we need to de-value the dollar another 85% to find parity. When you and everyone else finds all that acceptable we can then compete. Until then we are dealing with severe unfair manufacturing advantages that deserve stiff tariffs. That fails to encompass quality control and theft of intellectual property issues
Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

It sounds like it would be a very good choice engine for me And i really like the rear muffler set up and all the extra's that come with it. I also like the size factor as i am looking for a 30cc engine that will fit into a smaller cowl without having to cut up the cowl to make it fit . Thanks for your input on this guy's I think i am going to get one for my ESM P39 and i will post some photos here when it is ready to go along with some set up photos as well.
hyflyer9.
All this stuff has been covered and recovered on the other two threads on the Syssa 30cc. But I appreciate not having to read 250 RCU pages to glean what you need to know.

One thing to keep in mind is that this engine is very lightweight, with all up weight lighter than an OS160 with the OS muffler installed. It sounds like you know what you're doing; just a little care finding the cg.

The choke is different than that of other gassers. Todd has opted to use a walbro where he can use original design slide damper rather than the typical butterfly type that most walbros have. The actuation pushrod can exit the bottom of the plane. It's a really simple set-up that works great and starting is a cinch, but a little different than most other gassers
Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a SAP 180HP in an ESM P-47 Thunderbolt. It hauls *****!!!! Flying with a Xoar 17x10 wood prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29670.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1651712  
Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 PM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

Lots of good things have been said about the engine and could not agree more as I also own one but the service Todd gives has not been mentioned and is top notch and along with being made here it has the support of service when needed.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

1st gas engine I ever purchased. It is the only engine I have never had die on me. I suck at tuning engines.

Best 30cc engine available on the market. Heirloom quality.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Mike Miller

I own two of these engines. I have to say that it would be hard to imagine either a better made product or a better supported one. Much can be said for the positive experience of dealing directly with the manufacturer, especially one that is as friendly and helpful as Todd and the other fine folks @ Syssa.

Mike
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

"In reply to Mr. Clean;"
<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Slight edit here:</span> You are one of the higher contributors and knowledge bases of this forum. Ivalue your view points, Ivalue your contributions. And Ishare views on some of the areas I'm about to blast you on. I don't mean for it to be an attack any more then telling a guy thats watering during the hurricane he really ought to wait and do it at a more appropriate time. <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Anyways, end edit.</span>

Point being, we can pound our chest in here as much as we want too. Lay down what we think is right in global economical politics. Spout the idiot union line of 'I push a broom for 50 dollars an hour and I won't take less' or the management line of 'Do you think I want to sell off one of my 30 houses or corporate jets' or any slew in between

And NONE of it will answer the OPs question. The question was answered and even mentioned that it is made in the USA and then we had to go down the Tariff route with the next reply. Write your congressman. Taking 1/4 of the posts of any thread out because they go right back to China bash and flailing around here where it makes NO DIFFERENCE is a waste of time. It's mindless masturbation. Makes you feel good about yourself once you get used to dealing with the shame but gets nothing done.

Looks like from the pertinent info available that its a good engine, manufactured for aircraft use with a more acceptable muffler that comes standard where you'd have to pop between 60-100 for an aftermarket should you want that style, quality engine. Buy a cheap engine, pay extra for a muffler and have to deal with the extra weight and less power of the cheaper ones OR pay more for the higher quality ones and you won't save much between those and this one.

Should be enough for a guy to spend the extra bucks for the quality product.

The rest of it including this post save the last paragraph, is worthless. Deal with the topic or don't deal.