Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Advice for a jet newbie...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Advice for a jet newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a jet newbie...

I have been flying nitro and electric planes for 15 years and want to crossover into the turbine world. I know what I would like to do as my first jet project however I want to be responsible at the same time. Now I do fly a few 90mm EDF jets and I have already learned the difference between prop power application and EDF (which I am sure turbine are somewhat the same in this aspect).

I would like to do a Yellow Aircraft A-4, however not sure what powerplant to use, I have done extensive research but still want to enlist the expertise of the individuals who have already gone thru this. Also, if this is way to much (as I am really not all the thrilled about the looks of trainer jets) for me to begin on then I would appreciate that feedback as well.

I am aware of everything that must be done to obtain a turbine waiver what I am looking for is the best way to enter this extremely exciting relm of flying.

Thank you.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Advice for a jet newbie...

Welcome, I would contact shaun from Yellow aircraft for the turbine you would need, Just ask him for the weight and then you can make a turbine choice. Plenty of turbines to choose from and some good prices as well. I am new myself and was like you more into the scale side instead of the sport/trainer. Probably the best thing you can do is go to a jet event like I did, that way you meet the people who actually fly and have the latest info. From what I have seen and read YA is top notch and shawn is a good dude plus he is always on the forums

http://yellowaircraft.webs.com/contact.htm

Old 08-27-2011, 02:31 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the A4 then the Tamjets ARF version is also an option.

You will probably get mixed advice. There is no doubt that a trainer jet such as the Boomerang is a great first jet, however if approached correctly there is no reason that you can't have success with something a bit more scale.

That said, I believe the A4 has some 'interesting' characteristics which, although not insurmountable, might make your journey into turbines a little harder than it needs to be. I'm sure there will be some info on this if you search the forums. I seem to remember an YA A4 build thread somewhere that was powered by a Wren 44 Gold.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:46 PM
dsr71
My Feedback: (171)

Hello i was new back in 04 ,i started with a rookie if i had the choices today without a doubt i would go with a boomerange of any size ,i think the sprint will fly great on the same size turbine that the a-4 would fly on you could fly the sprint while building the 2-4,,the edf are not really similar to a turbine in my opinion throttle response and wing loading is the real difference,,i would look more at a light wing loaded turbine for the starting jet and just enjoy turbine power and all the setup and learning of the throttle lag ,just my 2 cents it is what i recomend to all the interested rc guys in our area
Old 08-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Yellow A-4 or even a Tams A-4 if you could find one are not good "first" jets. I have owned 4 yellow and 1 tams A-4, they can be a hand full for a new jet pilot. Why not look at the modellbau F-86, it is scale ish and flys like atrainer.
Vin..
Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My experience is similar to Vin with respect to number of airplanes and have to agree with Vin' regarding the Yellow or Tam A4 as not being a good first jet.

a momentary lapse in attention and she'll reach back and bite you... no matter how nice you've been to her. I currently have a Yellow A4 with an OS.91 / Dynamax for power and will be converting it to turbine with a Wren 44 Gold. (nice and light install)

I had one previously with a JetCat P60 and while it flew great, the overall install weight (engine, fuel equipment etc.) put it on the edge of what that little wing could carry.

a basic sport jet (ala boomerang series etc.) will be invaluable turbine ops etc. learning experience and will provide a great foundation for follow on projects.

we're not saying you can't handle the bird (it really is a lot of fun to fly and easy also) but it's small, fast and has a smaller margin for error in all aspects of flight, that could be better learned on a different platform. (F15, F16, boomers, bobcats...etc etc)

good luck and hope you can drive over from La to Greater SW Jet Rally in Waco ( couple of weeks )

good dudes, great flying

cheers

oh yea, give Shaun Evans aka Yellowaircraft a call if you ultimately get one. he'll point ya in the right direction.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM
gtoro26
My Feedback: (2)

the best advice i could give

iiiiiiiissssssssss get a boomerang elan and put a jet central rabbit in there
you will never ever want to put this puppy down
get your cg right and flies hard and knifedges better
i have had 2 elans and 4 other jets deifinitel learned the hobby on this jet and how much fun it could be
not saying that you will not have fun with another choice but my buddy started way to fast and an f18 after his 4 flight went in he sold all his planes at the same time and never even went to look for the plane
just dont want you to be frustrated
we all learn different but talk with the expererienced help
the should never steer you wrong
i just sold my elan to fund a big f16 and my new viper jet but i wish i never would of sold it my friend bought it and i still fly it

damit i want it back

good luck
Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey all american, you might consider a different scale jet, from the advice above you really dont want something with bad landing profile. I did research as you are doing and from what I found, the euro fighter, F-15, F-16 land pretty good. If you like yellow aircraft the F-15 is really nice from the feedback on it. The F-18 is a good flier but likes to jump on take off and requires some skill to land, must use flaps and stuff. This is what I found from talking to people at jet meets and reading everything I could find, I have no personal experience since im just finishing my first jet. I went with a 1/6 F-16 and I have a build thread with some basic stuff I asked for myself and to help new comers. Once again good luck and from years of doing rc. always go with what makes you happy, just know you ability and what suites it and you will be fine.