Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How to remove carbon build up from inside muffler?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How to remove carbon build up from inside muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove carbon build up from inside muffler?

Guys,
Is there any kind of solvent that would be suitable for soaking my Slimline Pitts style muffler in, to remove the carbon build up? Without hurting the mufflers finish, of course. Before anyone says "just leave it, it doesn't hurt anything", let me just tell you, I have already broken in an engine using Lawnboy ashless with it, and now I will be breaking in a second engine with it. Would like to remove some, if possible. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:12 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Somebody? Anybody?

C'mon...somebody HAS to know the answer to this one. i'd like to know this one myself. I have pipes on my 100 and would love to figure out a way to clean them. I bet stuff gets built up in there and I know a clean inside will flow better. Paul sounds like he's one very meticulous modeler...that's the way I am. I like everything neat as a pin.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:41 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

I'm not real sure about the mufflers but I worked in a mechanic shop & I watched an old mechanic clean the carbon out of an engine in a small truck by running it & pouring a small amount of water down the carb. He said when it is hot the water breaks the carbon loose. You should have seen the carbon pour out of the tail pipe. maybe just heat them up in the oven, remove them carefully with welding gloves or something similar, take them out to the water hose & hose the insides. It might be worth a try.

Gil
Old 08-20-2003, 02:43 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never tried it but if you wrapped the muffler with black plastic electrical tape to protect the finish you could try pouring some Easy Off Oven Cleaner in it and see if it did any good. Follow all the precautions on the container.

Ken
Old 08-20-2003, 03:16 PM
walton
My Feedback: (24)

The way I do it is bead blast them. Most mufflers have the outside bead blasted anyway so it wont hurt the finish.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:28 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old motorcycle trick is to put a loop of weedeater line in a power drill, stick it up in the muffler, and let 'er rip. Flails around and knocks quite a bit of the carbon loose but doesn't ding up the steel.

Rein
Old 08-20-2003, 07:04 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Default De-Carbon Mufflers

NAPA 6402 Carburetor cleaner. This is the old dipping-overnight soak solvent for rebuilding automotive carb's. It has a basket to lower the parts into the solvent which is contained in a bucket. Works "PRO". When soaked overnight I spray foaming engine degreaser inside muffler and hose it clean with water. It looks unused when done..I dont know what this stuff costs anymore cause the bucket I have is probably 10yrs old..Still works..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103215_2181.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	58080  
Old 08-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Ed

Gun bore cleaning solvent. Hoppes # 9, or equivalent.
It's designed specifically for removing difficult carbon.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

There's a product called Loctile Chisel. It's a solvent in a spray can designed to dissolve carbon deposits in engines - after the engine has been taken apart. It's one of those chlorinated methylene something or other nasty chemical like Z-Best engine cleaner. It's good for decoking pistons and cylinders.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:49 AM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

Sea Foam motor treatment will do the trick also.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:36 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Something that works well for removing carbon of engine components is to put the part in a crock pot with antifreeze for about an hour, then rinse the part clean with glow fuel or whatever fuel you use, and make sure to get all the water out, works for me
Old 08-22-2003, 01:50 PM
bentgear

Go to the auto parts store and pick up a spray can of carb cleaner. Mist it on the inside and outside a couple of times then hit it full blast. Keep it off your hands and out of your eyes as it will tend to dry them out.
Have not tried the anifreeze/crockpot method yet but it might be the safest.
Just about anything in a spray can that will do the job is going to be full of dimethyldoubledeath or chicktetrachloride. ;-)
Ed M.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:23 AM
JimRoss

Default another idea

Here's an idea that is neither toxic or explosive, won't hurt the metal or mess on the floor.

Get a rock tumbler, the kind people use to clean and polish rocks, also the kind reloaders use to clean their brass before reloading, and a large bag of walnut shells(crushed). Put the muffler in, fill it with walnut shells, turn it on, walk away for one hour. Come back, dump it out, blow out dust with air, muffler is not only clean of carbon, but everything else and should look brand new.

Walnut shells are reusable for LONG time.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Jim,
Very interesting. I knew someone would have a crazy solution that I would have never thought of.
To everyone else: Great advice, and I'm probably going to try several of them, and see what method is best for me.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:16 AM
JimRoss

Originally posted by Paul Cataldo
Jim,
Very interesting. I knew someone would have a crazy solution that I would have never thought of.
To everyone else: Great advice, and I'm probably going to try several of them, and see what method is best for me.
Paul, it ain't crazy, reloaders and rock polishers have been using them for years to clean and polish stuff, I used to have one that looked like a big bowl and it vibrated. That thing would clean gunk out of anything. And it leaves it dry, no mess at all.