Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Air Power EV5U Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air Power EV5U Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Power EV5U Question

i got the valve quiet some time ago but never got around to installing it till today, programmed it for the correct setup (M1=doors down/gear down........gear up/doors up), installed it and the gear doors are reversed........

with gear down, it applies air to doors up................if i try to reverse the door valve, it gives the green light on the programmer but the valve does NOT reverse.

it works fine if i just reverse the air lines from the doors but it's aggravating that it then doesn't match the labels on the valve............any ideas?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 AM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Air Power EV5U Question

Hey I think billy has one of these may talk to him about it, hey my stuff should be here tomorrow! Sadly I leave today for the weekend so I hope they leave the package at my house. If so I plan on flying it next weekend.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

............I hope they leave the package at my house. I

if it's UPS you can call them and have it held for customer pickup, and you can swing by and get it any time after 8am the day of scheduled delivery.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reverse the door lines... done.
Todd
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Just reverse the door lines... done.
Todd
While that does work, and it's what i had to do (actually i changed the air lines to the valves so the color code would match) it doesn't fix the problem or the labels on the valve being wrong.

Thanks none the less Todd.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
KXH121
My Feedback: (20)

I had a similar problem with my brakes, they would not work as programed until Todd suggested I check to see if they were applied in the gear up mode. Sure enough, backwards. All is fine now but it would be great to have a trouble and solution section built into the instruction sheet as I was ready to give up on the whole system until I picked Todd's brain. My 1/4 cents.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: KXH121

I had a similar problem with my brakes, they would not work as programed until Todd suggested I check to see if they were applied in the gear up mode. Sure enough, backwards. All is fine now but it would be great to have a trouble and solution section built into the instruction sheet as I was ready to give up on the whole system until I picked Todd's brain. My 1/4 cents.

i have Todd's tips and the first thing it said to do was make sure brakes were working and this assured you are starting in the Gear Down mode of the valve, it's just simply the valve for the doors will not reverse via the programmer. swapping the air lines works, but then door down is labeled as door up and vice versa.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM
KXH121

KC,
I also had to experiment with the reversing switch on the programming card and I learned the quick way not to rely on using the manual button on the unit itself to check my work, use the transmitter. It worked somewhat but I still ended up calling Todd to see what I did wrong, then it became clear as mud....trash the instructions and experiment one part at a time, brakes first then retracts/doors, then confirm all with transmitter not/not manual button on unit. If you use the manual button you will have to cycle off the power to regain transmitter control. Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM
KC36330

i am using the transmitter for all checks.

one other thing, i thought it had a built in safety to prevent gear up on power on, regardless of how i bind the receiver if the gear switch is in the UP position she pulls the gear up, guess i'll be sticking a Tam failsafe onboard to solve this and it doesn't drop the gear with air loss.......thought that was a feature of this valve too.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You may also find that the way the (new, still useless) manual describes the gear delays vs. door delays is interchanged .. or is illogical at best .. I would swear that the manual is incorrect about the order of programming for gear and door delays .. had to figure out by experimenting + setting to really long delays to make absolutely sure I knew what parameter affected what.

After an hour or two with a lot of grunting and swearing, it is all finally working properly :-)

One thing that might be of interest .. since the valve does proportional braking by pulsing the valve open + closed, I was concerned it would use waaay too much air. Certainly it uses more than a UP-6 or SmoothStop, but once set correctly a mid-size air tank gives about 40 seconds of proportional braking .. so if you are careful to only use partial brake for short times it may be quite workable.

Dave
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Its dhl so i will call and see if they will just leave it without me signing for it
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
KXH121

WW2,

We just might need to make a complete instruction thread on the EV5U because what you just said mirrors what I went through for hours of endless head scratching trying to figure out what the instructions mean and what I know the mechanics are intended to do.

I think 1/3 Todd, 1/3 Diligence and 1/3 Blind Stumble on the answer got my gear to work in Mode 2; Doors Open, Gear down, Doors Close, then reverse up... AND the Brakes work in the Anti-lock mode while the gear is down. Translate that from the poorly written instructions into something usable. Again, clear as mud.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
ww2birds

Agreed .. I guess if the mfr won't step up with a document (I am sure Todd is great in helping people on the phone, I've always had great experience with his company .. they are my favorite supplier!) we can help each other.

It is actually a nice device once all set up and working .. too bad that by the time you get there you want to throw it out the window... :-)

Dave
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM
KC36330

Dave,

i set the brakes to to proportional (Anti-Lock) and have it on a 3 way switch so i can also get full on (park brake) and not loose air while holding. i set the middle position with subtrim (to get the pulse speed i wanted) and then use a mix on the slider for more/less.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
ww2birds

Interesting idea .. brakes on a 3 pos .. off, partial, full .. like we do on flaps. Hmm...

I have always used a slider for brakes but really it seems like the switch might be as good or better. Especially for the pulsing style of propo brakes like this it would absolutely minimize the time in partial mode that burns air.

FWIW .. I found that it was also possible to set it up on a slider where full on was not pulsing (like a parking brake) and full-off was not pulsing.

Dave

Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
KXH121

For brakes I use the right hand slider on my JR and also mix it in with full down elevator. I have not tweaked it yet with the EV5U to get the mix perfect on the elevator gimbal but one thing Todd did tell me is that the smart switching of the EV5U deactivates the brakes in the wheels up position to keep the tanks from bleeding off air. That use to be a bit of a problem with the UP-6 I used in the past. If you did not set the end points correctly and you activated too much down elevator you could find yourself without air in your brake tank. I am running twin tanks for retracts and a single for brakes, should not be a problem now (I hope). I have not thought about the 3 position switch since one is for turbine control and the other is for flaps.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 PM
KC36330

......... I have not thought about the 3 position switch since one is for turbine control and the other is for flaps.
I've got a 12X and i run turbine control on the Aux6 knob, flaps on the flap/mix 3 position switch, and brakes on Aux2 3 position switch. FWIW turbine control could be put on the 3 position flight mode switch but i like the knob myself.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

One thing to note: there are TWO versions of the EV5U valves....
The basic version EV5U provides limited features beyond the normal gear/door sequencing and brake operation. It also requires an external programing card to set the parameters. The EV5U-PRO (or EV5U-EVO, same valve but includes lights) offers far more features, options and flexibility. When discussing programing methods, options ect.... it is important to indicate which valve you are referencing; there are MAJOR differences between them. Appears both are being discussed here
I will work on writing up a new manual when I find some free time....
Old 09-23-2011, 06:17 AM
KXH121

KC,

Have you tried to mix the brakes with the elevator stick on your 12X? I like the slider on the right side so I can use the rudder stick to steer and guide without having to feel my way through the multi switches on the front of the 12X without looking. Sometimes the dual rate switches get in the way and I drill to my spotter which switch controls the turbine in an emergency...it has a red rubber cap from a micro switch (Radio Shack) on it for easy ID. I use a yellow one on the Flaps since the switch package had Red, Green, Yellow, White caps, all of which fit neatly on a JR toggle!

No right way or wrong way on switch assignment, just preferences. I hope the EV5U gets sorted soon.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 AM
ww2birds

FYI, I have used both versions. My most recent experience, referred to above, is with the newer version with the built-in screen and no external programming card (I can't go read the logo on it since it is in a friend's F-86, I was assisting him with setup).

Dave

Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

One thing to note: there are TWO versions of the EV5U valves....
The basic version EV5U provides limited features beyond the normal gear/door sequencing and brake operation. It also requires an external programing card to set the parameters. The EV5U-PRO (or EV5U-EVO, same valve but includes lights) offers far more features, options and flexibility. When discussing programing methods, options ect.... it is important to indicate which valve you are referencing; there are MAJOR differences between them. Appears both are being discussed here
I will work on writing up a new manual when I find some free time....
this one.

KC,

Have you tried to mix the brakes with the elevator stick on your 12X? I like the slider on the right side so I can use the rudder stick to steer and guide without having to feel my way through the multi switches on the front of the 12X without looking.

i have not, i don't like the brakes on elevator stick never have so i won't set it up on any of my personal jets, i have for a few customers and as long as they have a switch available it gets programmed too at least till i maiden it and turn it over to them. FWIW, my brakes are Aux2, the 3 position switch just above the elevator stick, i flip it with my middle finger and don't have to take the other two off the elevator/ailerons.

20+ years flying heli's has taught my fingers where every switch/knob/trim/etc.. is at on the transmitter and i can flip/twist/bump them quickly and efficiently without the need to take my eyes off what I'm flying.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
KXH121

Same one I have.