Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mounting Zen 62 on warbird?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Zen 62 on warbird?

I am going to be mounting a Zen 62 on a Wild Hare Hellcat.....I have no experience with this brand of gasser, it does have the spring starter. Anyone recall a thread that shows pics/info on mounting this engine? Thanks, B7
Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Mounting Zen 62 on warbird?

Your first consideration is the length of the engine and the distance from the face of the cowl on the plane and the engine mount area. Also the engine crankshaft must be centered in the cowl exit.

G-62's can have many different length hubs on them. Also there are flat mounts of different thickness as well as cup mounts.

The starting spring is usually contained within a cup mount.

With a flat mount, there must be a hole in the firewall for the rear of the crank and the starter spring to protrude into
Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing I would do would be to call Tom Fawcett, the owner of Wild Hare who is well noted for providing assistance to his customers where setting up his products is concerned. I'm reasonably certain he has some ideas that will help you. Although the Hellcat was intended for a 50cc engine he has probably considered some customers would try a larger engine.

Tom responds quickly to e-mails and phone calls. If he does not answer the phone be sure to leave a message so he can get back to you.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: blue77

I am going to be mounting a Zen 62 on a Wild Hare Hellcat.....I have no experience with this brand of gasser, it does have the spring starter. Anyone recall a thread that shows pics/info on mounting this engine? Thanks, B7
Take the spring starter off and convert it to electronic ignition. There will be about an inch of crankshaft sticking out the back of the engine after removal of starter. Drill a 3/4" hole in your firewall and mount it flat or use a cup mount if you have the room. B&B Specialties sells a nice aluminum cup mount.

I don't know if Ralph is still doing conversions for people. His username is Antique. If he'll do the EI conversion for you - it's money well spent.