Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

If you knew then what you know now........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

If you knew then what you know now........

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you knew then what you know now........

Add to that the fact that most of us are good prop pilots....... what would you buy?

I have enjoyed a flight with a P70 and a BTE Reaction. I have also owned and stared at a Yellow F16 ducted fan but have decided to pass it along. Obviously cost is a factor right now, new venture, limited places to fly a turbine etc. I do have assistance close, a great guy and new friend who has been flying jets for a few years now. Sorry Steve, can't help myself

I love building, I have been enjoying WW1 aircraft, scale civilian, golden era etc and my 30% Yak.

The Boomerang Nano has my attention. Maybe a Wren 75, or a Jet Central Super Bee II. Pro Link has a nice set of trailing link retracts in a combo pack with brakes etc, kevlar tank........... and the Nano is on sale........

Tell me, as technology changes and the options open up, knowing what you know now, would you go this route or do something different?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Hughes500E

Default RE: If you knew then what you know now........

Could be a good sign for things to come [8D]
Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I would have still bought the Reaction Kit that I bought five years ago except I would have stuck a P-70 or a Rabbit in it instead of the P-60 I have in there. If you like building, then this kit will be one of the best you ever put together. It was a pleasure to build and every part fits great with a manual that's second to none. It's built tough and great for short grass fields. Really the ultimate first jet IMO. I'm just not a fan of the twin boom design. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Marty
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Steve, never met you in Princeton, but I had a Nano there...you may have seen my son and I fly..it was the one doing the snaps and tumbles (That was my son - very un-jet like behavior!! ) It is my favourite of all the boomers (even overlooking the fact that it is an all wood air frame.) The pro link gear are great and a zillion times stronger than the spaghetti fixed gear that comes with the kit. It is small enough to fit in the smallest car, and with a decent 14 lb turbine (Wren!!) it has over one to one T/W which makes for a lot of vertical fun... We have flown it out of a 400' grass field with room to spare...

On the other side of the coin, it was designed for a 10lb turbine so it is lightly built..almost fragile in some areas. But having said that, nothing has broken in 2 years which is more than I can say for my somewhat heavier baby boomerang....

Before you make the move, make sure it is something you really want to do. I have seen a lot of guys move into jets just to keep up with their buddies and learned (very expensively) that is was not for them.......
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: afterburner

I would have still bought the Reaction Kit that I bought five years ago except I would have stuck a P-70 or a Rabbit in it instead of the P-60 I have in there. If you like building, then this kit will be one of the best you ever put together. It was a pleasure to build and every part fits great with a manual that's second to none. It's built tough and great for short grass fields. Really the ultimate first jet IMO. I'm just not a fan of the twin boom design. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Marty
My thoughts exactly! The Reaction was my first turbine and I would do it again if just starting. If you love building then it's THE plane to build. You can modify it to look very unique. The twin boomers fly great but I just can't see myself flying one, not even a King Cat

Originally mine had a P-60 but I have recently started flying it again with a Wren Super Sport and it's a blast. Though most of my flying is off of asphalt, I have flown the Reaction from grass and even an eight foot wide dirt road.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boomerangs and Reactions are an absolute ball to fly, my transition from ducted fan to turbine was with an A4 and turbines weren't 'Fun' til i owned a Boomer. the twin tail doesn't bother me like it does some folks and i still own a boomerang XL and a Modellbau Tornado, both are a joy to fly and recently when a tropical storm was blowing in with 45+ knot winds gusting to 60+ both took to the air, they are excellent every day 'beater jets' that you can fly regardless of conditions.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dont forget the venerable Laser Designs Jetmach. As stress free as it gets in turbine flying.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:24 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Bandit Baby. All day.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Hughes500E

Thanks guys

Wayne, I never had the chance to see the Nano, then again I didn't even know what it was until I got bit and went home searching :-)
Amazing show in Princeton.

The Jetmach hmmmm, kingtech 80 turbine, opens the doors for growth...

That Nano still has my eye, lots of support, lots of after market pieces. The smaller design may allow me to believe I'm flying faster than I would be [8D]