Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hyper 7 break in process??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 11:00 PM
R&Rracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper 7 break in process??

I am going to get the Hyper 7 PBS RTR. But, I was wondering how hard is the breakin process? What do you have to do? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:12 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

is that the one with or without the starter box?

if its not then id say buy one to save yourself money you WILL spend in pull string assemblies. hyper .21's are notorious for being very tight when first starting up and a p.s. wont make it any eaiser.

if it were my engine i would let it idle for 2 tanks and run it at a medium pace for 2 tanks then let her rip.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:15 AM
dagass

Ofna made the break in process significantly easier by including a pullstart on the 8 port engines that the PBS is now shipping with. One of the single most important things you can do when breaking in the 8 port is to use a hairdryer to heat up the engine case before attempting to start it.

By doing this, I was able to get the engine temp up to 220 degrees which made turning the engine over much easier. Don't even bother trying to start the engine with the starter box because it doesn't have enough muscle to turn over a new 8 port. Once the engine is broken in though, the starter box works great.

You can prime the carb by pulling the pressure line from the pipe and blowing into it until you hear the fuel enter the carb. Put on your glow starter and give the pullstart a few yanks. If the needles are at the factory settings, the engine should start and be able to hold an idle. The factory settings are EXTREMELY rich though! The engine will start but will probably stall when you hit the throttle. If you find that the piston is locked at the top, loosen the glowplug to relieve the pressure.

I idled through my first tank of gas however I could not get the buggy to actually move because of the overly rich settings. Once I leaned out both the LSN and the HSN a half turn, the engine didn't stall when I gave it throttle and my PBS moved under it's own power.

Per Ofna's manual, they recommend 4 1/2 to 5 turns OUT from closed on the HSN and 3 1/2 turns out from FLUSH on the LSN. My PBS runs like a bat out of hell at 235 degrees with needle settings of 3 1/2 turns out from closed on the HSN and 2 1/2 turns out from flush on the LSN. Do yourself a huge favor and don't mess with the mid range needle. It is pre set flush to the case at the factory and should not be moved.

It's not the easiest engine to break in, however once you have it dialed in, it's a rocket!!! Good luck!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:34 PM
R&Rracing

Hey, Thanks a lot, But I thought that the PBS version didn't have a pull start at all? Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:27 AM
dagass

The first PBS didn't come with a pullstart. The version that is shipping now comes with a pullstart and a different head. It's a screamer!!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:27 PM
R&Rracing1

ya i heard some one eles say that the PBS engine was off the hizzy