Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-16 off the end of runway at Oshkosh.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-16 off the end of runway at Oshkosh.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F-16 off the end of runway at Oshkosh.

John, is that an ACMI pod on the centerline? havent seen one like that on station 5.
Denny
Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: ozief16

I HIGHLY doubt the EPU was activated (we avoid using the word fired 'cause ATC kinda freaks out!). NO ONE would want to be close to that thing if it was running. Maybe it activated as the motor rolled back. Usually the dual gen fail is what activates it when the motor ****s the bed since the windmilling motor will keep the hyd above 1k

JR-Picture man, picture!!

Johns in for BITW, who else!?!? If you need an address to send jets to, let me know and I'll be happy to trailer them out!

Dave
I read erlier that the Rescue crew circled the jet around for a while before approaching. Thats what lead me to believe the EPU was or had been running.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 AM
tenacious101010

Or that the firefighters knew enough about the F-16 to be wary of the EPU. Most airport fire personnel are aware of the Hydrazine threat. If the EPU hadnt been activated prior to touchdown, I doubt it would have been after touchdown. Just an opinion.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

The pod on the centerline is the ALQ-188 electronic countermeasures pod. It's not a go-to-war pod, it's for A/A training only and so you rarely see them.

We fly with them 100% of the time in the Gomers as that is one of the best areas of instruction that we bring out. The Aggressors are a professional adversary force, fully integrated with air, ground, etc...not just red air. The ACMI pod sits on the left wingtip. Sorry for the plug!

The EPU could have been running if the throttle was idle or above and both generators fell off line, or both hyd systems dropped low. Anyone smell ammonia?

Dave
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
tenacious101010

They used to tell us"one whiff, and you're dead". Then they told us it would smell like ammonia. Now this made me think, as the guy that was inhaling it, fall to the ground saying " it smells liek amonia"? I think I would have been saying something more like "you sonny beaches!"
So after the fear that was put into us, when I went to GD, we went to see where they worked with the Hydrazine, a building surrounded with grass berms, the place was a bunker. A guy took us over to a 55 gal drum, twisted the cap off and said, "see this liquid? Thats Hydrazine". I dont know anyone that ever first hand had any experience with an EPU firing or Hydrazine exhaust. I dont know if the pilot initiated engine shut down or if the engine just stopped rotating. I would bet the pilot did an emergency shut down, maybe not.
I didnt realize the ECM pod was used for that purpose. I have seen a few NAVY agressor F-16Ns, but dont believe they used them either.
Denny

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36210.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1645517  
Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 AM
edwinkania

Nice simulator would love to see the in progress photos!!