Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

UP-2 Valve question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

UP-2 Valve question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UP-2 Valve question

I am considering purchasing an UP-2 valve that I want to use with my Scorpion. I don't want to use it in the normal fashion because the plane does not have gear doors. Instead I want to use it for gear operation up/down, and also for the speed brake on top of the fuse to operate up/down. I have not used one of these for many years but does anyone see any problem with using it in this manner.

I have a 14MZ and I can operate the speed brake using the gear switch easily. What I would prefer is to continue to use my flight modes (3 position Flap switch) that I am currently using now and deploy the speed brake with full flaps. If anyone can think of a way to program it this way please let me know.

Do most of you guys deploy speed brakes with flaps, with gear, or separately?

Thanks in advance for any help, Gary

Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UP-2 Valve question

Gary, I don't see how this could work. A UP2 operates with 1 servo. The way it works is you flip the switch to put the gear down, the doors open, the gear come down and the doors close. When retracting the gear, you flip the switch and the doors open, the gear retracts, and the doors close. The only thing adjustable is the speed at which the doors move and the speed at which the gear move. The speed brakes would deplooy for a few seconds anytime you retracted or deployed the gear. This probably wouldn't be a good thing after takeoff when you retracted the gear.

It could be possible with a UP3. With that valve, you flip the switch and the doors open and the gear come down. The doors stay open. When you flip the switch to retract the gear, the gear retracts and the doors close. The problem here though would be the speed brakes would be deployed whenever the gear were down, including during takeoff.

Kirk
Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Up2 valve will pulse your speed brake up and down.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Gary Jefferson

OK. thanks guys. like I said it has been years since I used one. Thanks for the help...Gary
Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI Gary, I use the UP valves all the time, and they do not pulse .
What I personally like now is, if the jet has speed brakes, then on base, I preset my brakes, and also have the speed brakes react to the brakes as a slave, I use a BVM valve.
I find preset brakes, stick the jet to the runnway.
Rcpete
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

Up2 valve will pulse your speed brake up and down.

How? there's nothing in an UP valve to make it pulse, it has a cylinder that slides as air pressure equalizes, once it equalizes that's the end of the cycle till you move the servo again.

Gary, one of the Behotec valves that has gear/brakes all in one valve/single servo would work for you.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Gary Jefferson

Pete, I think what he means by PULSE is that the speed brake will go up and down with the operation of the gear.

Kirk, your detailed description helps very much. I understand how it works now and your description makes sense. Thanks

I looked at the Behotec valve and I don't think it will work either because brakes are single action valve functions typically. I need a dual action valve to operate the speed brake. The only way to use the Behotec valve would be with a spring return cylinder on the speed brake I think.

Gary
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI Gary, I reread your first post, and no, a UP2 valve will not work, in your case.
I personally add speed brakes , slaved to brakes.
Rcpete
Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pete, I think what he means by PULSE is that the speed brake will go up and down with the operation of the gear.
[8D]
Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Gary,
I would either use a spare ch to operate the speed brakes OR have them deploy with full flap. I have done this both ways but like the auto deploy with flaps the best. One less thing to fiddle with on the down wind final.
Vin...
Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Gary Jefferson

Vin, I generally deploy the speed brake with my flaps as well. I think it would work just as well deploying with the gear switch but have never tried it...

I was looking for a way to combine two valves into one to save the cost of a Jetronics electronic valve, but looks like it is not going to work.

Gary
Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Gary,
I would go with a simple mini servo and cheapie retrac valve like the ones that come with the arf`s.
Vin...