Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Christmas for my son

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:16 AM
dgrammont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas for my son

thinking of getting him into the hobby, anything to get him off the PS3 and outside more.

he is 10, and i wanted to do entry level for him.
i had one as a kid and really enjoyed it , i think i want to get one also ( but obviously better :P )

any thoughts on where i should go for him?
i remembered the old Tamiyas were durable, maybe new ones are even better for kids?

thanks

Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 AM
gprdpr

Default RE: Christmas for my son

I'm a newcomer as well. I have a Traxxas Stampede waiting for my son to open this Christmas. From what I've heard/learned, it's a great starter truck. Lots of cool footage of them on youtube as well.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 AM
dgrammont

thanks ill check that out!

did you get one for yourself?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 AM
gprdpr

Not yet, but I certainly plan to!! I've told my wife to tell everyone looking for ideas of what to get me to just chip in toward getting me a Stampede as well They look like they're a blast. Good luck to you and your son!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM
jermpool

Any of the [link=http://www.traxxas.com]Traxxas[/link] stuff is good to start with, just find what looks good to you.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM
KoneRacing

The newer E-firestorm 10t flux waterproof it was my first car i got it 2years ago and still have mine and im currently doing a rebuild on it (neglected it, so time for a little TLC) its a great car because its easy to get parts for, it has the potential to be extremely fast but if your a tyro i would start with a weak battery then get a lipo later on and its really durable ive only had a problem with one part and that was the pesky lower bulk head i broke 4 of those then replaced it in alloy and everything was just swimming. although it wasnt entirely my fault of breaking it that many times letting kids that dont know how to handle a 3s lipo drive it then run it flat into a wall at about 50. Go check out the build to get more info on the carhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10827874/tm.htmand if you dont like stadium trucks get the blitz its the same thing with a SC body

PS i disagree jermpool all traxxas car in my opinon are over marketed POS ive had a nitro rustler and got 2 dud motors in a row (good customer service) had a slash 4x4 (waste of money haha) and my freind has a jato 3.3 that will not stop having problems everything breaks!!!

HPI ALL THE WAY!!! OR TA <br type="_moz" />
Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree that the traxxas rustler/stampede/bandit/slash are goods starters, as are the hpi firestorm/blitz. One of my sons has a Rustler, the other has a Tamiya. I cant say they (Tamiyas) are more durable that days of old, most of the starters from them are the same as they were 20 years ago. in the house here we have a variety of Traxxas, HPI, Associated, Tamiya and Losi and I have no real complaints about any of those brands.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

electric evader is the best bet, get the newest one that is void of brass bushings.

for $115 ready to go, these are hard to beat and you can grow into them by upgrading the motor system and suspension.

they are simple to fix, and handle on-road and off-road great along with plenty of durability for tumbles and crashes.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM
dgrammont

i went with the Traxxas Rustler for him, was on the cheap and a friend knows a place close that deals in RC's

after looking around i now have to decide what im going to get!!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I am not very fond of Traxxas, but, I will say that I do miss my old Stampede. It would go almost anywhere and even with the brushed motor was pretty fast. Also, it was easy to repair, but at the same time, taught me enough about RCs to figure out more advanced repairs on other vehicles.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 AM
tommygun32

Ha! Now the hard part is waiting for Christmas morning.

Congrats and I hope you and your son have a blast. That's what it's all about.

ORIGINAL: dgrammont

i went with the Traxxas Rustler for him, was on the cheap and a friend knows a place close that deals in RC's

Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: dgrammont

also a good choice however the evader is a much better deal.

he will be happy.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
dgrammont

the shark i didnt even notice your idea, that did look like a good option and also cheaper by a good amount..... <div>
</div>
Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 AM
lithiumx152

Well considering on the fact that your son is just 10 years of age , I highly suggest getting him a traxxas slash 1/16 vxl .  That is what my son had before I got him a slash 4x4 1/10 for his birthday . The 1/16 scale traxxas r/c trucks are very efficient , they last very long and my son has had his for over 3 years now and it still works just fine , but after a while maybe a year or so the esc will start going into thermal protection shutdown like every 5-10 minutes because of the temperature of the esc . Which is very normal .
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM
The_Shark

like said traxxas is fine for beginners, its just the value- in my opinion they are overpriced, but they are durable rigs.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:15 PM
dgrammont

well that took all off three runs

and of course when i allowed the first run without me he smashed it into the neighbors foundation and the front right wheel and axle broke right off,

was to be expected, but whats the damage im looking at to get that assembly fixed? or should i do it myself?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That should not be too hard of a fix, I'd go for it. Cost would depend on what's broke but could be 10 - 20