Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

stupid mag made me buy stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: stupid mag made me buy stuff!

ORIGINAL: MattHiggins

ORIGINAL: 378
My advice to you is to reverse the proportion of advertisements to content. Right now the mag is 2/3rds advertisements for junk we don't want and 1/3rds articles we've read before, and it's why I stopped buying it entirely.

I'm with proanti1, by the way, with the Top Gear-esque stunts. There's a reason Top Gear is hilarious, and it isn't because they review cars.
Keep in mind I am no longer with the mag. I'm glad you're not buying ittell your friends not to as well

For my RC media site, RC Truck Stop, I am trying to be careful about how and where I allow ads. I want to provide a valuable service to advertisers, but I don't want to take away from the users experience. Some sites have so many ads, the site is cluttered and annoying to navigate.

I hear you guys on the Top Gear stuff. I'm a fan too. As I get more contributors (an thus more personalities), we'll be able to do more off-the-wall stuff. It's more of a balancing act than Top Gear faces. People read and watch Top Gear for one reasonto be entertained. Since this is a hobby site, it can't, of course, be all slapstick as a lot of people are searching for good old info.

I was curious if the review of the Gmade R1 read as an honest review when people said the reviews in the magazines did not.
with ads on a RC site, i say follow RCU's path. There are many ads yes, but they dont get in the way of using the site(IMO) The ads are all kind of to the sides, and dont interfere with navigating the site. Yet they are there and sometimes do catch my eye with a new item id like to know more info about.
as long as the ads are not too big, or in the way of clicking on the MAIN content then they will do their job without making the site a pain.
And thats the thing with the mags, you shouldnt have to turn over 30 pages of ads to get to the next article! The ads are IN THE WAY! At least the mags could space the ads out better. same goes for a website, they gotta be spaced and placed well.

Is your site up? got a link to it?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 PM
MattHiggins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, my site is live. It is rctruckstop.com
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yes, my site is live. It is rctruckstop.com
not to shabby. will keep that in my favs and visit from time to time.
i liked the article on FOFF. The axial FOFF vid got me thinking about a sand pit next summer, and what my SCX may look like
Old 12-24-2011, 09:59 AM
MattHiggins

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner
not to shabby. will keep that in my favs and visit from time to time.
i liked the article on FOFF. The axial FOFF vid got me thinking about a sand pit next summer, and what my SCX may look like
Thank you very much!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Well i got the heli yesturday.

It really does fly nice! I thought the new stick layout(with only once control on the right) would throw me a bit since i have flown the MCX's...but it didnt.

And i dont mind not having that 4th channel. It still feels very controlible. I can land it on my wifes hand!

The only negitive is the 70mah lipo. The runtime is shorter than the MCX. I tried to fit a 120mah parkzone pack...its soo close in size yet to big.

Other than the short runtime its a great little heli....especially for $50. I mean, im really surprised things have gotten to the point when we can get somthing of this grade for the price.

I took it to a gym and was flying it around and there were a bunch of little kids and they were chassing it around...as I kept it just over there heads.

If you want a fun hobby grade model for inside areas then this little heli can do the trick.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 AM
MattHiggins

Try this article out: http://rctruckstop.com/2011/12/27/ho...-at-the-track/
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Try this article out: http://rctruckstop.com/2011/12/27/ho...-at-the-track/
the article didnt mention anything about helping others out! There will always be new guys who didnt come prepared with tap, zipties, glue, tools. I have myself been at the track and had a fellow RC'er give me a traxxas half shaft to get my ax10 back on the trail.

I will have to try and bring my wife next time.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of those steps states "Be ThunderbirdJunkie." ThunderbirdJunkie understands you may be trying to help by keeping this secret under wraps, but that is by far the easiest way to be the coolest person anywhere, especially the track.