Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Keep fuel and oil out of your plane during engine burn in

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Keep fuel and oil out of your plane during engine burn in

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 AM
gurfi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep fuel and oil out of your plane during engine burn in

Cut an empty bottle, attach it to the muffler will keep your plane clean of fuel after New engine burn-in:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBuRCFeHvQk[/youtube]
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Keep fuel and oil out of your plane during engine burn in

I haven't broken motors in on a plane before... .is that common? I break my engines in a test stand before putting in the plane.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Oberst
Banned

Good idea! I'm sure a rubber hose would work as well.

Pete
Old 12-26-2011, 07:28 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

I haven't broken motors in on a plane before... .is that common? I break my engines in a test stand before putting in the plane.
I'd guess it is extremely common.
Folks who buy 'RTF' models probably do not own test stands and do their break in on the plane.
My brother and I had been flying for several years before he built a test stand. We had only OS and Thunder Tiger two cycle engines for a long time and they required so little break in that doing it on the plane worked fine.
The first Magnum four stroke he bought prompted the test stand. It was terrible on the plane. That engine (a little .61) took a full gallon of fuel to break in. That's a lot of run time.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Ed Smith

Do it properly on a test stand. It is easier and SAFER. If you do not have one then make one. I made a "One size fits all" stand.

Ed S

Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Do it properly on a test stand. It is easier and SAFER. If you do not have one then make one. I made a ''One size fits all'' stand.

Ed S

Just curious as to why yours is "proper" and "SAFER".

I see nothing wrong with doing the breakin with the engine mounted on the airframe.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed - hurry and please tell us so I can stop doing it so improperly and unsafe.

Kurt
Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool idea-I would rather build a model than a break in stand.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always done it on my model as well. One thing I found is that you have to be careful what you connect to the outlet of the engine as the exhaust leaving the end of the muffler can be quite hot and will melt the plastic or vinyl creating a very nice mess. Ask me how I know.

I purchased a 2' long peice of high temp hose from an auto aprts store that I route into a plastic milk jug with holes cut in the sides to catch the slime but let the exhast escape. It works great.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Bozarth

Also, you could severely increase the back pressure too much.

Kurt
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Do it properly on a test stand. It is easier and SAFER. If you do not have one then make one. I made a ''One size fits all'' stand.

Ed S

Just curious as to why yours is ''proper'' and ''SAFER''.

I see nothing wrong with doing the breakin with the engine mounted on the airframe.

I don't either. Been doing it for years, I have yet to see anything go wrong except a wet pant leg from the exhaust spewing oil when I didn't use a rubber garden hose.

Pete
Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Ed Smith

curious as to why yours is ''proper'' and ''SAFER''.
OK,

"Proper"
Before I put any engine in any airplane I mount it to a test stand with the intended prop and get all the settings established for a properly running engine. High throttle, low throttle and everything in between. Then, if the engine is installed in the airplane and does not run properly, the fault is not the engine setting is it? I have seen many people seem to struggle getting an engine running properly in the airplane.

"Safer"

Whenever I start an engine the only "Stuff" in front of the engine is about 1/3 of my arm and a hand with a starter. I never stand in front of it. Standing behind the prop arc to start the engine is a little difficult with a fully assembled airplane. The wing is usualy in the way. Those that position themselves in front of the airplane to start an engine have to hold the airplane with one hand and start with the other. When the engine starts the airplane still has to be held, tied down or not. So now we have somebody with one arm in the prop arc holding the airplane and the other arm and hand in the prop arc removing the glow driver and adjusting the carb, and unless one is a complete contortionist ones face dangerously close.

Now realy, do I have to go into more detail to explain the "UNSAFE" conditions here?

I have been doing this since 1954, I have shed blood about twice. I speak from experience

P.S.

Engine "Burn" in and "Break" in? Surely a poor choice of words. Although probably true in lots of instances.

Ed S
Old 12-30-2011, 12:42 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: carrellh
That engine (a little .61) took a full gallon of fuel to break in. That's a lot of run time.
The old Johnson .35's were notorious for needing 3+ hours of run time to become limber. Even a modern LA can take upwards of 45 minutes running (in short 1-2 minute runs) before it really gets into its happy zone.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 381 Likes on 307 Posts

Interesting. I've been doing it a long time in the plane with no issues, it gets better cooling in flight.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:56 PM
cutaway

An engine being broken in doesn't necessarily want to be "cooler". You're looking to thermal cycle its components as many times as you can as fast as you can to get them stabilized . Short 1-2 minute runs (with a 10 minute or so cool down) thermal cycle to components faster than driving around the sky with a slightly fat needle setting.

For a lot of people flying it fat is fine since they don't have the patience to do it on the ground. The difference in final performance between the two approaches is something I'd notice, but a sport flyer may not. Its the difference between an average example and one that's above average.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Interesting. I've been doing it a long time in the plane with no issues, it gets better cooling in flight.

I agree. I only have 12 years in the hobby and I've seen more youtube videos of accidents happening with a engine test stand than breaking-in a engine in the plane. But all it takes is one second of not paying attention, and no matter what we use we can get hurt. I've seen ol'timers and new timers get hurt doing dumb things. Our engines and props do not discriminate, they don't care if you have 50 years in the hobby or 1 year.

Knock on wood- I haven't got hurt yet.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pk9y5t1N9Q[/youtube]

Pete
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Breaking in on a stand eliminates all other variables that are found on an airplane and especially a new airplane, hence safer.

That really shouldn't have to be explained. 

You CAN break in on the plane, many do.  You CAN walk across the street at any point, many do. 

Safer to do it at the crossing. 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: Clean

Breaking in on a stand eliminates all other variables that are found on an airplane and especially a new airplane, hence safer.

You CAN break in on the plane, many do. You CAN walk across the street at any point, many do.

What are all of the other variables that are found on an airplane that make it "less safe"? You made a strong conclusion without mentioning any premises.

Kurt
Old 12-31-2011, 04:06 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

ORIGINAL: Clean

You CAN break in on the plane, many do. You CAN walk across the street at any point, many do.

What are all of the other variables that are found on an airplane that make it ''less safe''? You made a strong conclusion without mentioning any premises.

Kurt
That's why I brought the question up, in the first place. All I'm seeing is assertions that using a breakin stand is safer. I see no documentation to back it up.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:42 PM
cutaway

Safer for a new engine maybe because you can shut it down if something weird starts to happen (like pre-ignition) before there's any permanent damage. Backplates and heads coming loose are fairly common.

Safer for the human? I dunno.