Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Difference between pull start and non pull start flywheel?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Difference between pull start and non pull start flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 08:04 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between pull start and non pull start flywheel?

Come to think of it,

What is the difference?

Is the pull start wheel larger (is it?) to give you more rotational mass/momentum so the engine goes into the next cycle with more power?

Then again, wouldnt the non pull start wheel have to be larger so the starter box wheel can get a secure grip on the flywheel?

This is a very simple I'm sure.. but I cant think of any convincing reason to change flywheels just to change between starter box/PS

Ram
Old 08-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Aterlatus

Well the car I've got has a pullstart as standard, but it seems to promote the fact that it has a gap in the chassis with access to the flywheel for a starterbox a fair bit in the literature - what kind of flywheel do you think I have?

I don't think having access to the flywheel is a big problem for using a starterbox, since from what I've seen there always seems to be some easy point of access to it, so I guess the pullstarts may be slightly bigger?

Or possibly, just maybe they're identical but they pretend they're different so that those who can afford a starterbox have to shell out more when it comes to flywheel replacement time

Not that that sort of thing ever happens in this world of ours, honest...
Old 08-26-2003, 10:52 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Flywheel

Actually there is a big difference in the flywheels.

The lightweight flywheel (HPI makes 2) one for the pullstart and one for the non-pullstart.

The smaller one in most cases will not allow the starter wheel on the box to reach the wheel. The pullstart mechanism requires additional space and causes the engine to sit higher, thus the taller engine mounts. This of course leads to the gap between the starter box wheel and the flywheel.
In addition its typical for an engine to run very erratic with the pullstart and the lighweight flywheel together. The idle becomes erratic and the low end hard to tune. This has to do with the amount of mass of the flywheel and the rotational drag of the pull start mechanism.

The proper way to install the lightweight flywheel is to remove the pullstart (reduce drag) or use an engine that does not have a pullstart. Then install the motor with lightweight engine mounts which are lower. Not only does this lower the CG but also puts the flywheel whithin reach of the starter box wheel.

The pullstart flywheel is slightly larger and should reach the box with no problems. The additional mass should allow for normal operation.

THe whole point for installing a lighweight flywheel on the engine is to reduce mass and allow for higher RPM and quicker spooling up.

Dbow
Old 08-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Aterlatus

I stand educated

Thank you.