Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

silencer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
nothinbetr2do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silencer

hi guys, i'm looking for a silencer for a 2 stroke engine. it's not for a boat, but rather a generator. can i put one of your guys silencers on this geny some how? put your thinking caps on. lol

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-rat...tm_source=1002

i have a few gas boats, but i will not put a silencer on them(so i know nothing about them). i love the power and sound. but i need to quiet the genny down. im open for any ideas
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
glennb2006

Default RE: silencer

ORIGINAL: nothinbetr2do

hi guys, i'm looking for a silencer for a 2 stroke engine. it's not for a boat, but rather a generator. can i put one of your guys silencers on this geny some how? put your thinking caps on. lol

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-rat...tm_source=1002

i have a few gas boats, but i will not put a silencer on them(so i know nothing about them). i love the power and sound. but i need to quiet the genny down. im open for any ideas

The generator you show there is a four stroke. (OHV).

It should be fairly quiet as is, I would imagine it will be under 80dB @ 5 metres away. If not, there is not much you can do really, a lot of noise will be mechanical and not neccessarily from the exhaust.

Glenn
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got one of those that I use for power in my boat hauler. It's surely not as quiet as a Honda but very tolerable. I've even used it at home during many of our power outages this past year. I don't know if you could adapt a lawnmower or weedeater muffler to it though for more silence. I never checked mine with my dB meter.

I find it odd that you won't quiet down your boats but want to silence your generator. That's the kind of stuff that we lose places to run at from.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe make one of these http://www.modelgasboats.com/Make_a_Muffler/ Before you seal up the end,loosely pack some copper or stainless steel Chore Boy scrubber in around the pipe.It will muffle the sound a little more. www.choreboyscrubbers.com
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
nothinbetr2do

in the listing is says to mix gas 50:1. so i thought it would be a 2 stroke.
as for my boats. i run on private ponds mostly, so no reason to compromise power for less sound
Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM
glennb2006

as for my boats. i run on private ponds mostly, so no reason to compromise power for less sound

It would appear that further reading, and downloading the manual seem to confirm that the engine is in fact two stroke, I am puzzled by the reference to OHV in the page one of their advert.

Still go back to my original point and suspect that you will find it very quiet in use as it comes from the factory.

I have seen something very similar in use over here and it was very quiet, buy one and try it, it is cheap enough.

Glenn
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

It would appear that further reading, and downloading the manual seem to confirm that the engine is in fact two stroke, I am puzzled by the reference to OHV in the page one of their advert.

Still go back to my original point and suspect that you will find it very quiet in use as it comes from the factory.

I have seen something very similar in use over here and it was very quiet, buy one and try it, it is cheap enough.

Glenn

yes sir, i did buy one. it's cheap enough. lol
the problem i have is. i will only use it at electric events. i was just asking here, because i thought it's 2 stroke and i trust you guys
my gas toys are not the problem [8D]
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Ron Olson

I've been to a FE boat race, the Michigan Cup. Some of the electrics make a lot of noise on the water, more than what your generator will pump out. My boat trailer is loaded for racing at primitive sites so along with the generator I also have a deep-cycle battery and 2 power inverters. I charge the battery while the generator in running just to keep it topped off. All your generator might do is let others know that you have one and might want to tap off it.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I've been to a FE boat race, the Michigan Cup. Some of the electrics make a lot of noise on the water, more than what your generator will pump out. My boat trailer is loaded for racing at primitive sites so along with the generator I also have a deep-cycle battery and 2 power inverters. I charge the battery while the generator in running just to keep it topped off. All your generator might do is let others know that you have one and might want to tap off it.
ok. thanks. wait until i get it and see. i was lead to believe it was extra loud. i'll report back when i get it
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

Glenn
no worries. thanks for the responce

like you say, i'll find out when i get it.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Ron Olson

If you haven't gotten one yet then you'll find out that it's quieter than you'd think. One thing that they did think of is that under the gas cap is a measuring cup that you can fill then dump into the tank then fill the rest of the way with gas. A filter screen holds the cup in place.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:01 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

If you haven't gotten one yet then you'll find out that it's quieter than you'd think. One thing that they did think of is that under the gas cap is a measuring cup that you can fill then dump into the tank then fill the rest of the way with gas. A filter screen holds the cup in place.
no i haven't gotten it yet. it's due to be delivered on this tuesday. thanks for the heads up
Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 PM
nothinbetr2do

i got the genny today. i just came in from starting it up for the first time, can't wait to put it to use. but anyway, thanks again guys. and ron, you are right. it's not that loud. thanks