Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Eliminating gas spills in the SUV

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Eliminating gas spills in the SUV

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 PM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eliminating gas spills in the SUV

Considering that...
[*]My new plane is gas-powered[*]Gas is stinky[*]My transport vehicle is a family SUV

I want to make sure that no gas leaks onto (into) the carpets during transport. I've built two items to help ensure that doesn't happen.

GAS CAN TRAY

The tray does double duty as a spill protector and a mounting point for the pump. The gas can is held in place by a pegged dowel. The inside of the tray is coated with 30-minute epoxy, so if any does leak out of the can, it will be contained.

VENT LINE FUEL STOPPER

I had a spare fuel fitting and while I was casting around for something to stop it with I found some music wire that filled the gap perfectly.

I fed the wire about halfway into the fitting and soldered it into place there. Once that was done I cut off the excess wire and dressed up the bottom.

That should keep any gas from dripping out of the vent line during transport.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eliminating gas spills in the SUV

I have a idea!!! Go glow or electric!

Just pulling your leg.

Pete
Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Pete: Amen electric!
Walt
Old 02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
kenh3497

Very nice solution [sm=thumbup.gif]

Ken
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One last line of defense. Use a cookie sheet with paper towels or rags in it, and place it under the plane. You should even be able to put your fuel caddy on it. If anything spills or leaks, it will be in the pan. Take it out when you take out your plane. A little air freshener hanging from the mirror will take away any residual gas smell inside the car.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 AM
telejojo

Get a trailer........................................... ...............
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Pylonracr

One last line of defense. Use a cookie sheet with paper towels or rags in it, and place it under the plane. You should even be able to put your fuel caddy on it. If anything spills or leaks, it will be in the pan. Take it out when you take out your plane. A little air freshener hanging from the mirror will take away any residual gas smell inside the car.

Cookie sheet, that's a good idea. The Dubro stopper you have isn't very airtight, and your going to get vapors coming from your fuel jug. I have the same stopper and had some gas go bad at the end of the season last year with that stopper. I'm looking around now for something better, I'll probably end up making my own.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM
kenh3497

ORIGINAL: bolar

had some gas go bad at the end of the season last year

Shelf life of gasoline these days is about 30 days from the time you pump it at your favorite watering hole. IMO I would always use a fuel stabilizer/fuel system cleaner. My favorite is Sea Foam.

Ken
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

ORIGINAL: bolar

had some gas go bad at the end of the season last year

Shelf life of gasoline these days is about 30 days from the time you pump it at your favorite watering hole. IMO I would always use a fuel stabilizer/fuel system cleaner. My favorite is Sea Foam.

Ken

Yeah, I use a fuel stabilizer, with the oil and stabilizer it's become a "witches brew" of gasoline. 30 days, it took me most of the summer just to burn the gallon I had. Well at least gas is still cheaper than glow...for now.