Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Lipo drag

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
hchytd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo drag

I have read how lipo batteries are high maintenance and finnicky. Specifically, have heard not to get them too hot or cold and not run them too long or they'll die permanently. So far, I've gone through 8 batteries for my MCX2 - all were "fried" after what I am assuming being run too long? Not sure though. The MCX2 does not have a cut-off switch or indicator to let one know when to stop - and it's hard to utilize the method of just stop flying after 8 minutes, etc. (considering flight time is often sporadic when sharing the copter with newbies).In short, it seems these lipos permanently die way too easily - especially if run too long - which apparently means run long enough for the copter to begin to fade. It seems a ridiculous flaw in these batteries - and I wonder if I am doing something wrong (charging them too soon after flight) or just running them too long? Any tips or insight - so I don't have to buy new lipos every month or so?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
augerin2

Default RE: Lipo drag

They are finnicky little creatures. However, when I fly my MXR I only get about 5 min of fight time following the 20% rule. You want to make sure you have 20% + of charge left in lipo's or you will kil them. Also, If you store them charged like I've done in the past this also helps decrease the life of the battery.
It sound like if your runing them for 8 min your running them past the 80% point so your leaving less then 20% in the battery which will cause premature failer
Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 AM
olefart

here is a very good article I use as a guide for my lipos. Follow it, and you will be OK. keep your flights around 4 -5 minutes and then land. Let the battery cool and then re-charge.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
hchytd

Thanks all - this certainly helps - though if I would have known how fickle RC heli lipos are I may have thought twice about getting into the hobby...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

there not fickle. they just have a different charge -discharge cycle. you can' t run them down like ni-cads or nimh type. there is a certain voltage that must be maintained at lo volts. this is the cut off point. learn this and you'll be ok. never run them down to below this point or they won't last at all. once you use li-po type, you'll throw the others away..........if you have any...........RON
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
kopperlis123
Banned

Think I may be in love with this