Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

4 disc brake system

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:52 PM
maUru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 disc brake system

I'm building my own rc car from scratch, its going to be a 1/8th scale on road car but I'm trying to do as much as possible by myself. This doesn't mean I will be making things like shocks or drive shafts, but it does mean that the whole design of the transmission, chassis and little bits will be my own. I intend to do this as a project, not race it for real - but if it works out well then who knows . I'm also going to put slots for 4 or 6 model rocket engines that can be fired using a 3rd servo, after doing some testing, the rocket engines are like nitrous oxide to a car but look a hell of a lot more spectacular.

Since I'm going to be doing this from scratch, I can play around with things not found on production cars. I've thought of adding a 4 disc brake system to the car using either a pulling system with wires or a pushing system with regular servo rods. I was just wondering if anyone has seen an rc car with 4 disc brakes. I know that it would give little to no advantage over the traditional single disc but it would definitely look cooler.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:23 PM
drf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen 1/5 cars that have individual brakes for the front wheels and those one are working by fluid (like 1:1 cars)
1/5 scale cars have a lot of space though while 1/8 will get a bit cramped.
I was also thinking of making an rc car from scatch but I would only start if I made EVERYTHING myself. Probably this is why I never got to it.
Anyway......

One thing that might help you about the brakes.

I was thinking the same thing but it looked really difficult to squeze everything on the wheel hubs. Then I remember some old Alfaromeo cars that actually had the disk brakes on the inner side of the dogbone, just next to the differential. I though it is easier this way but never tried anything. Give it a though, it may be worthwhile.
Since it would be 1/8 you can use more that one servo for the brakes. It may be a bit more heavy than normal though because of the extra servo. As I think of it now I would use 4 small servos (not the tiny ones, something of resonable torque)each one for each wheel.

I wold suggest that you make it basic in the begginning and then start putting extra stuff. This way you will have something in a acceptable amount of time to make you feel nice about. Otherwise you will get bored and drop the project.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:16 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking to have a brake disk to perform the braking duties for each wheel individually, you may want to look at the center differential/brake design found on most 1/8 scale off-road buggies.

If you want them to be at the wheel, there just isn't enough room to build a robust brake system.

Good luck.