Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bobcat rudder/gyro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bobcat rudder/gyro

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 04:20 PM
jglp3-delete
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobcat rudder/gyro

I've got over 80 flights on my XL version. I'm thinking of installing a gyro on the rudder to smooth it out during crosswind landings. I have DS 3421's on the rudders now and know the
recommendation is 9411's minimum with a gyro. I plan to run the gyro only in a gear down configuration. Question is, at only 40-50% gyro gain for maybe 2 minutes max in the landing pattern, are these servos going to burn up?
Old 08-30-2003, 05:20 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rudder and Gyro

Do not run those servos with a gyro. On landing I would run about 55% on mine and it would make the rudders kick over to one side. I only turned my gyro on while the gear were down also.

Patrick.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Scott Ramberg
My Feedback: (15)

Default Gyro

I had the the 3421's on my first Bobcat and didn't have any problems. I just didn't like the JR 460. My new one has the 9411's with a Futaba 351 gyro. Two of my buddies are running Hitec 225's with a gyro and both have many flights(60+) I'm just wondering if it's as big of deal as it was made out to be.
Scott
Old 08-31-2003, 01:11 AM
jglp3-delete

I plan to use the Futaba gyro as well, but if the servos will burn up with less than 2 minutes of gyro control, then I'm going to just leave well enough alone. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2003, 02:01 AM
DavidR

Early on with the Bobcats between Vernon and I we burned up 4 3421's. They just will not take the constant movements that the gyro induces. The change to the 9411's is an easy one, shave a little wood off the inside of each of the mounting blocks and you are good to go.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:44 AM
jglp3-delete

Thanks DR. It's good to know the install won't be a headache if I go this route.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:30 AM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

Default Gyro

Joel
If you have 80 flights on your BCat a gyro probably won't help you much. It does not take all the work out of the landing process. As soon as you move the rudder the gyro will not work and you will likely end up chasing and making worse landings.

It may help you roll straighter once your on the ground.

JB
Old 08-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Scott Ramberg
My Feedback: (15)

Default Gyro

Just another note. I have recently added the spoilerons per BV's instructions. I'm still getting used to it but the landings seem much more controllable. The plane feels a little heavier as it comes in instead of "floaty"
Scott
Old 08-31-2003, 04:15 PM
jglp3-delete

Yea, I have the spoilerons setup too. This was a nice find; I can slow my down to a walk or bring it in hot without it floating right on by. During crosswind landings, I fly it in hot and you barely notice the wing rock.