Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Thin O-Ring Lube and UP valves NOT compatible?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Thin O-Ring Lube and UP valves NOT compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BVM Thin O-Ring Lube and UP valves NOT compatible?

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

So why not replace the lines?
Matt did you miss the part about the "ideal solution" being to replace the cylinders? Not tenable. Again guys, please stay on point. Ian addressed my issue. Clearly with tons of BVM Oil in over 10 cylinders counting retracts and doors, line replacement will do nothing to avoid oil in the UP valves on a long term basis. I screwed myself I think as it seems the consensus is that this isnt something I can un-do. I will just switch to EV5U or electronic sequencing. Thanks Matt, and everyone else for the input. I am out.

Shaz
Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Obviously lots of guys have used the lube in systems with UP valves. Thier concern seems overblown IMO. I wouldn't switch anything unless it becomes a problem.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No really "Overblown" at all, the Thin Lube does indeed create issues.

The way the "fix it " lubes work is to attack the O ring and cause it to swell, good in terms of stopping the leak. In the UP 2,3 &4 there is a secondary air spool valve which works by exhaust air pressure in one direction and spring force in the other, the fit of the O ring is critical for correct operation , therefore if the O rings are attacked by "fix it "lube there fit becomes tight and the spool will not move correctly. The situation is the same in the UP 6.
In the past year, Philip has had about 12 valves returned to them with problems caused by this lube. This is a huge amount as UP valves rarely EVER require service. In some cases, all that is required is to clean and re lube with Dow 55 (which we do offer BTW). Others have required full blown service.
Problems have been noted by both customers and manufacturer regarding usage of these lubricants. Best solution, dont use thin lube or any other "fix it" lubricant with UP brand valves.
Todd
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 AM
flyinfool1

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never had a need to try this but.......
Would it work to replace the lines which may be a PITA but not real costly AND while the lines are off use a syringe full of alcohol, or other appropriate solvent, to flush the BVM oil out of the cylinders and then re-lube the cylinders with the recommended DOW #55. This would be the most cost effective solution, not necessarily the easiest.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

12 returned valves out of how many thousand UP valves in use?

I get that we should stop using Thin Lube in planes with UP valves. My point is that this hardly seems like a reason to panic and start switching over planes that are functioning fine.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

ORIGINAL: ianober

Shaz, using BVM O-Lube causes the UP valves to stick, so it is up to you. If you continue to use the valves in your system with BVM O-ring lube then chances are you will burn out a servo when your valve locks up. Options, well you could use another valve obviously. Also you could re-plumb your air system to get the O-ring Lube out. Other than that I don't know what else there is, I don't think it is that complicated, but if it were me and I had O-ring lube in my system, then I would not use a UP valve cause eventually it will stick.
Good Advice Ian. Any thoughts on the EV5U? I am a little reticent to us an ''All-in-One'' system. The same convenience that provides a clean and easy install all in one gizmo can also be a downfall if one of the functions (i.e. brakes) stops working. Then the plane is grounded for 4 months while the device gets sent to Taiwan for repair.

Other option is my Details4Scale Electronic sequencer or my Jet Central electronic sequencer...with about 3 BVM Hi-Flow valves and 3 mini servos to operate Landing Mode 3....ugggh

decisions, decisions...

Shaz

I have used the EV5U unit in my short lived F-20 and I liked it Shaz. You are correct though, it is a single point of failure but so are many of the other options out there. For me the price of the unit is just too much and not worth it to me. I like them and they are very convenient but I am usually on a budget so a UP valve usually gets me by for the best bang for my buck. I have also used those small airpower valves and an RCBee sequencer and it has a worked a treat. You have tons of options just depends on how much you want to spend and how much work you want to do. Easiest solution, EV5U, but most expensive. Up to you buddy!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: ianober

Easiest solution, EV5U, but most expensive. Up to you buddy!
I see this comment regularly and I have shown in the past that this is simply NOT the case. More expensive than the UP route, yes.... but not drastically. I have shown before, the EV5U offers quite some savings over separate component comparative.
Look at the cost of the following, all of which the EV5U provides and you will see what I mean....
Jettronic Dual Action Valve x 2 @ 125.00ea
Jettronic Sequencer x 1 @ 80.00ea
Jettronic Brake Valve x 1 @ 80.00 ea
Air Gauges x 2 @36.00 pack
Dual Digital Volt Meter @ 30.00ea
Gear System Failsafe @ 100.00ea
Total - $576.00

Not to mention, the EV5U also contains a Landing Light Controller, 90.00 value?

Comparatively speaking; clearly not the most expensive route!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I know Todd, but this is assuming that you buy all new equipment. I happen to have a lot of surplus stuff lying around so most likely the only investment I would have is for the valve itself. I have tons of airline, many gauges, tons of spare high torque servos. For someone buying everything then yes, you have the right idea, but a lot of people have stuff lying around or recycled from other aircraft.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shaz I like the skid idea hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm have i seen that before? Just kidding buddy
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
sskianpour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use ordinary silicone grease in all my O ring assemblies (including U.P. valves) & have never had any problems.