Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas Jato 3.3??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traxxas Jato 3.3??

Hi all,

After much (probably too much) thought on what my next car should be (requirements=fast, on-road, nitro)...I'm now heavily leaning toward the Jato 3.3.

I fully understand the dangers with on-road cars (running on pavement only can get old...quick) - so the Jato has caught my attention as it seems to have the speed of an on-road car, but something I can still do some light bashing with. Seems like a bit of a hybrid.

I'd love to hear people's opinion on this car (and ask you please put your Traxxas opinions- for or against themaside). Again, I'm looking for a car that is <u>very fast</u>, nitro, incredibly agile, I can run 80% on the street and when the mood hits me take a sharp left turn to run off-road. This video is a perfect example of how I plan to use it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI__i...p;feature=plcp

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this ride...especially from those that have one . ;-)

Thanks!</p>
Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Jato 3.3??

imo id get a 1/8th from ofna theres nothing like a big rc ^^

tho the jato does look fun.  random video i found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTZ_Z...eature=related

sidenote RPM makes a-arms for the 810 now if you ever break a stock</p>
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: echthelion
tho the jato does look fun. random video i found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTZ_Z...eature=related
Wow. That's pretty balsy (when I was younger I would have done that - if I could). ;-) Thanks for the note on the A-arms....still a part I want for the 810 and will definitely check out RPM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Hi all,

After much (probably too much) thought on what my next car should be (requirements=fast, on-road, nitro)...I'm now heavily leaning toward the Jato 3.3.

I fully understand the dangers with on-road cars (running on pavement only can get old...quick) - so the Jato has caught my attention as it seems to have the speed of an on-road car, but something I can still do some light bashing with. Seems like a bit of a hybrid.

I'd love to hear people's opinion on this car (and ask you please put your Traxxas opinions- for or against themaside). Again, I'm looking for a car that is <u>very fast</u>, nitro, incredibly agile, I can run 80% on the street and when the mood hits me take a sharp left turn to run off-road. This video is a perfect example of how I plan to use it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI__i...p;feature=plcp

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this ride...especially from those that have one . ;-)

Thanks!</p>
The Jato was my son'sfirst RC. He mostly liked it, but then he was too young to appreciate it's shortcomings.

Two wheel drive made it a handfull to control, but he soon got the hang of drifting and etc. The low ride height made it a dirt or asphalt only machine. We raced it at parking lot races. Did pretty good, but it was too heavy and was at a disadvantage against something like a AE<span class="page_title">RC10GT. Our Jato started with2.5 engine. We thought a 3.3 engine would be faster, so we switched. The 3.3 used more gas and was harder to tune,sometimes it would vapor lock. For racing, we went back to the 2.5 engine. In the end, it always had a lot of steering slop no matter what was replaced or what after market parts were added..

As for offroad, it's weight and balance made it pretty uncompetitive. A good driver could have fun, but it wasn't that impressive.

At the present time, our Jato is a shelf queen. Just last week, a friend wanted me to take it to a small indoor track and race against his RC10GT. I told him that it wouldn't be worth the fuel. Looking back, I wish that we had jumped into 1/8 scale straight off. It seems that the current price is around $400.Completely <font size="2">ridiculous</font>! IMHO, the Jato is an overpriced, overweight, not so durable, mostly straight line basher.</span>
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM
quietnas1

On Road

Off Road

It's one of my favorite rc's. I don't race. It is fast, fun, and durable. For bashing you can't go wrong.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The jato is a great versatile basher IMO. Pretty reliable, extremely fast, and darn fun to drive. You will enjoy one if you get one....
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
The_Shark

BLEAH!!![:'(] maybe for $200 but anything more is a total rip-off.

you want speed? buy a ofna buggy and install a 2-speed kit and im sure it will STILL be cheaper, more durable, handle better and probably go about as fast (65mph is very much within reach)
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Definitely go with a buggy. 4WD, fast and great handling. I have off road and on road tires for my 8ight 2.0 and with the on-road slicks I can can it to drift around corners. Quite fun.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

A buggy is on my list of cars to get... I do have a Jato with a 3.3 in it running on a 2-chambered resonator. The engine only has about 1/2 gallon on it, but the car... who knows. It was beat hard.

Its basically a Rustler on steroids.. I got a Jato 2.5 roller for $20 and put about $140 into it. I would rebuild a roller instead of buying a RTR..

I didnt go crazy and bling mine out. Just RPM arms and bumpers, Traxxas full CVDs, rebuilt slipper, and the 2c Resonator.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:56 AM
cummins driver

He already has 3 buggies guys.

Most of the people that reccomend against the Jato havent owned one. I will say the buggies are beefier, and im not sure id pay $400 for a new jato, but they are a lot of fun and good trucks.

I bought my 3.3 used for $100. Ran the wheels off of it for a while, then sold it for $170. I may buy another if i catch another good deal on one. My father in law has a 2.5 and he really enjoys it as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:27 AM
The_Shark

well if he already has buggies, slap in a 2speed kit and enjoy crazy speeds! no need for a new truck with the money you save you could install a Go tech engine and a better pipe.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM
cummins driver

It would take as much money in the buggy to make it as fast as the jato as it would to buy the jato IMO.

Decent .21 - $150
Pipe - $50
Starter Box - $50
2 speed kit - $100

Thats $350 right there. I like buggies a lot myself. I kept my buggy and sold my jato, but it would cost some good money to have a buggy running 60+
Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

It would take as much money in the buggy to make it as fast as the jato as it would to buy the jato IMO.

Decent .21 - $150
Pipe - $50
Starter Box - $50
2 speed kit - $100

Thats $350 right there. I like buggies a lot myself. I kept my buggy and sold my jato, but it would cost some good money to have a buggy running 60+
well if you think about it depending on if he has a decent engine already in one, and seeing he might have the starter box (not needed IMO), and a pipe for the engine it would be $100 for the 2 speed kit, the cost of tires, and a body which is way less than a jato.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 PM
cummins driver

He has the stock engines in them. I dont think that will do it.

You cant get a decent race .21 without a sealed backplate. A bump start is pretty mandatory for a fast buggy IMO. Unless you throw a pull/roto picco .28 or nova .28 in one which is a $200 engine and cancels out the price of the bump start anyways.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

He has the stock engines in them. I dont think that will do it.

You cant get a decent race .21 without a sealed backplate. A bump start is pretty mandatory for a fast buggy IMO. Unless you throw a pull/roto picco .28 or nova .28 in one which is a $200 engine and cancels out the price of the bump start anyways.
hey, those stocker motors pack a punch, i would say you could go just about as fast as a jato with a 2speed kit. don't forget traxxas's "WOW KIDS, THIS SUPER COOL CAR GOES 70MPH!!!" is a bunch o' bull, some guy did 65MPH with a kyosho buggy with a pretty tame .21 measured by radar, and 65mph for a much bigger car is quite a sight to see.

ya gotta shop smart- go tech engine- $150 2 speed kit $80 USED race pipe and header $35 and your at $265, throw in a generic bump box and your at $305

but honestly I think a stocker engine could match a jato.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:47 PM
cummins driver

Eh, I still dont think a stock engine buggy could match the Jato. Not that I think a jato is the fastest thing ever, but it is fast, and its power to weight ratio and gearing is very good. It weighs probably 3 pounds less than a buggy.

My buggy has an Axial .28 with several gallons on it. The engine is still as strong as it ever was though. I have a 16t bell on it in my buggy, replacing the stock 14t bell. I dont know how fast it is, but out of the hole it will run with my father in law's 2.5 jato, but on the top end the little jato comes around. I do agree a 2 speed would make a big difference, but I also think it takes away some of the versatility of the buggy since you lose the center differential, which may or may not matter to the owner.

It would be an interesting match for sure, and one i would like to see. You dont see a lot of video's of 2 speed buggies though, and I think its because its a $100 pop to convert them.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM
jayjay283

jatos fast, great rtr if you have no skills. Otherwise like all Traxxas you need to put $100 into it to make it even worthy. IMO buy anything but traxxas unless you like wrenching and buying upgrades that should be on the car already
Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM
JohnP2

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. As was noted, I already have three buggies (including an OFNA and Losi). Those are my bashers and I've upgraded them but they still have stock engines (one of them a .28 and it can move).

I am looking for a parking lot car that can go offroad as needed. By that, I would never bash them like my buggies ( e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKg_t...re=context-chv).

The 2WD will take a bit to get used to, I know...but I love that 2-speed clutch. Seems the Jato offers what I'm looking for - guess you could say an "urban basher". And yes, I do like...make that LOVE wrenching.

quitenas1: what you got there is EXACTLY what I'm looking to do. ;-)

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'll post pics once I get it.

p.s. I love buggies. That is my preferred "class"....and have a laundy list of them I plan to get. For now, just looking for something a little different - but still fast!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

jatos fast, great rtr if you have no skills. Otherwise like all Traxxas you need to put $100 into it to make it even worthy. IMO buy anything but traxxas unless you like wrenching and buying upgrades that should be on the car already
Completely disagree. When I first got my Jato in 2007 it needed nothing. Eventually I ended up getting RPM arms cuz its what I ran in my RC10GT. Still have the stock arms in one piece. I went all out with mods when it was run over by a real car. It is a reliable basher. Handles good on road and pretty decent off road.