Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Engine craps-out in the air...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 07:04 PM
miamiquasar-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine craps-out in the air...

Hi folks,
Lucky thing(& no wonder) I fly electric too,or I'd get very little flying done indeed...as I've had rotten luck with several of my engines.I have recently began ATTEMPTING flight with my old OS.40fp again & remembered just why I put it away years ago!The engine will run perfectly on the ground,Starts easily,idles reliably & will run the tank dry without a problem...but as soon as you attempt flight & climb-out for a few seconds it will die.Every time.It frustrated me into "retiring"the engine years ago & seems to headed towards "hammer retirement"now!!!

It's probably something simple too...

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
M.Q.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:27 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel tank clunk. I had one that I left a little bit too long once, and it would get caught on the rear wall of the tank above the fuel level causing the engine to die. Make sure it swings freely in the tank, and is not doubled over on itself as sometimes can happen after a hard landing. Leave your needle richer in case you are leaning out too much in the air causing it to get hot and quit.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

FP
Old 09-01-2003, 09:12 PM
miamiquasar-RCU

Default Thanks...

Thanks Pilgrim,
The same advice was given to someone else about the same problem with the same engine(!!)on another forum that I was about to post my question on!So down I went to my shop & removed the tank in question &...DOH!!!!The clunk WAS STUCK FOWARD!!!Now I just have to wait for a calm day to fly again(I hope)& see if this WAS the problem.I would laugh if it was why I put the thing away years ago!!!

I'm crossing my fingers...

Thanks,
M.Q.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:00 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happens to the best of us.
To prevent this from happening again, you can install a length of brass tubing inside the tank between the tank stopper and clunk with a short piece of fuel length to allow it to flop up & down (side to side), but restrict it from doubling over (tough to explain, but easy to do). I hope enjoy the rest of your nitro experience.

FP
Old 09-06-2003, 09:54 PM
miamiquasar-RCU

Default ...DOH!!!!!!!!!

Well,
Pilgrim did you nail it or what?!!I mean come on...Shame on me!!This is a modified trainer that I hung up years(9)ago due to a "balky"engine which began to quit in the air.I am now flying high performance stuff & have maybe 17 or so models ie/sport,warbird,biplane,sailplane,slope,electric,sca le,float,scratchbuilt etc.A couple of times over the years I have even taken the model down & gave it another try to no avail.It still quit in the air with fresh fuel & plug & cleaning & yadayada.For nine years I have had a perfectly good engine hanging above my head in my shop in a model with a kinked tank line!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!I couldn't spell a loud enough Homer Simpson "DOH!!!!" to express the one I felt!

Nor is the smilie I have selected near large enough to express the one I wore all yesterday afternoon,running a half gallon through that old trainer & I mean IN THE AIR!!!

Now the trainer retires for real & the engine finds new life in any number of projects...

Nine years modelling experience later & I overlooked one of the fundamentals...Oh well,It turned out to be a happy ending afterall. Thanks! Regards, M.Q.