Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Titan ZG45 PCI problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Pada590

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titan ZG45 PCI problem

I have a Titan ZG45 PCI mounted on a Hydromount system, all from Toni Clark, built into a Piper PA18.
The engine has been running well for about 30 times but after a few weeks of non activity I wanted to start the engine again last sunday and could not manage so.

After a few flicks the engine starts and runs for 3 to 5 secs and then dies just after the prop kicks back and makes a turn in the opposite direction. When I try again immediately after that, the same scenario happens but then the engine runs only 1 to 3 secs. Every time the engine runs a bit shorter time until after a few tries it does not run anymore at all. When I then wait for a few minutes and try again, the engine again starts-up and runs a few seconds. The same scenario, after every re-start the engine runs for a shorter while until it does not start-up at all. The trend is always the same, it runs and then the prop gets a kind of a kick back and the engine dies.

I have removed the spark plug and saw that there is a lot of fuel so the plug is quite wet.

Does anyone recognize this phenomenon and has a clue what the problem could be?

Regards
Pada
Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Titan ZG45 PCI problem

I would first suspect the battery for the ignition. Make sure it is fully charged and has enough capacity. I had a battery run down unexpectedly when I was test running an engine and it did pretty much what you are describing. Otherwise you might have to check the carb for foreign matter even though it seems to be getting fuel.