Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rx and ECU Proximity

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rx and ECU Proximity

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx and ECU Proximity

Hi,

How close have you guys safely mounted your receiver and ECU's? I've got a build where I'm putting a Xicoy ECU about 4" away from a Futaba 6014 2.4 FASST Rx. Any issues?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rx and ECU Proximity

I flew my Bobcat hundreds of flights on 72Mhz with the ECU sitting directly on top of the receiver and the rudder gyro mounted about a half inch above both of them. The only issue I ever had was that the rudders would jitter during engine starts (only when the glow plug was lit). I suspect there was extra RF being put out from the ECU during the high current draw for lighting the glow plug, and the gyro was picking that up.
When I switched to 2.4 I re-did the installation and moved things further apart, so I have no idea if it would be affected the same or not.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my flash my rx which is a HS6014 is about 1" from my Jet Cat ECU no problems at all.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Kenrico

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I flew my P80SE powered boomerang Sprint for 10 hours of turbine time and never an issue with the ECU right beside the Rx. I now have a Kintech K80F in there thats going on 8 hours of use in the same configuration with no problems at all.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a comment regarding ecus and RX, in the past the concern was the Radiofrequency noise generated by the ecu or the pump motor could degrade the sensitivity of the receiver. With the first generation 2,4Ghz radios, this possibility has been greatly reduced, but now we face another possibilty, that is that last generation receivers with telemetry are in fact emitters of radio frequency of same power as the transmitter have, so this power at close distance of other electronic equipment, like ecus, but also electronic valves, power distribution systems (powerbox and similar), and other similar devices on board could be affected by the local source of "noise" that is the telemetry emissions from the receiver. Receivers are not passive elements anymore.

Gaspar