Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Bringing back a NiMH to life

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing back a NiMH to life

While finishing up the brushless Pede project, I found the NiMH batteries it was origionally running with. I started charging them with my Onyx 235 charger. All of a sudden it finishes charging after about 20 minutes and 1200mah. These were sitting untouched for about a year and a half. If Iput them throught a cycle (charge, drive and drain, charge, and repeat) will it eventually reach the max mah again, or are they shot? This is my brother in laws(11 years old) pedebut my father in law is still questioning whether to go lipo or not. He doesn't want to spend the money right now, but hewill have to if the NiMH batts are done. Now this isn't a matter of questioning whether lipo is better than NiMH, we both already know the differences is night and day.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bringing back a NiMH to life

After a lot of cycles, it may get somewhere approaching what it used to be, but you need the patience of a saint, I'd chuck it mate.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 AM
cumminspower5.9

Yea, and i'm also thinking that with a Castle Brushless system in it now, it will drain the batteries much quicker than the brushed did. I mean the stock battery was only 3800mah, and he has another 5000mah. He might get lucky to get 10 or 15 minutes of run time.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cycle the packs a few times. If they cOme back then great. If not then trash them.

I personally wouldnt waste the time as lipos are so affordable now it's not worth the headache of owning nimh.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:27 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well it's also the fact that he wants a decent charger as well. He like my charger, but that was I think $85? Lipos are cheap though. I bought a Duratrax 2s 5000mah for $40. I kinda want him to upgrade just so he can see how fast a light, 2wd stampede with a Castle system will go. But then again, it is ultimately up to him if he wants to upgrade, which is why i have been figuring out how to bring the NiMH back to life.</p>
Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Well it's also the fact that he wants a decent charger as well. He like my charger, but that was I think $85? Lipos are cheap though. I bought a Duratrax 2s 5000mah for $40. I kinda want him to upgrade just so he can see how fast a light, 2wd stampede with a Castle system will go. But then again, it is ultimately up to him if he wants to upgrade, which is why i have been figuring out how to bring the NiMH back to life.</p>

Look at hobby king. A pair of lipos and a charger under a hundred bucks. I bought one of their chargers as a back up and other than the color I can't tell the difference between it and my venom I paid $100 for. Even opened them up and they look identical.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same piece from the same mfg.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: john01374
Look at hobby king. A pair of lipos and a charger under a hundred bucks. I bought one of their chargers as a back up and other than the color I can't tell the difference between it and my venom I paid $100 for. Even opened them up and they look identical.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same piece from the same mfg.
It's very possibly they were contract built by the same factory for two different companies. It is not uncommon for many goods manufactured in China these days.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 AM
cumminspower5.9

Hey guys, I'm not trying to be rude by any means, but what i'm looking for is if it's possible to bring back a nimh through several charge/drain cycles
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Hahahaha, what are you trying to say cummins?  Don't hijack your thread?  lol

Sorry, bro.  I honestly lost track of that in my response.

I'm with one of the earlier replies.  Give it 2-3 cycles, see if you can revive it.  After that, its probably not worth the hassle, as cheap as new batteries are these days.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
cumminspower5.9

lol well not exaclty, but yes, NO HIJACKING!!  nah just kidding. I understand the point you guys are trying to make. I would have upgraded to lipo by now on it, but my father inlaw who is the provider of the funds for this project, would rather not spend the money on lipos and a charger, whther cheap or not. in all honesty i wouldn't upgrade unless the nimh's were completely useless, due to the fact the boy driving it is a timid 11 year old. heck, my Bandit VXL was fun on a 9.6v nimh. But lipo kicks it in the as*.

The motor should he bere this week. after i install it and solder the connectors on, ill start the revive process and see what I can do. Maybe i'll fool him just so he upgrades to lipo hehe
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No amount of "cycling" will directly affect your packs. A single c/10 charge for 15 hrs will make it as good as it will ever be.