Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Parts that break

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Admiral052

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts that break

So I am new to RC cars and I just picked up my first RC Traxxas Slash 4x4 6808 I noticed that there is a ton of upgradeble parts for RC trucks and such.
What should I change out and upgrade right now before it can break?
What are the most common parts that break?
What would you do to it right out the box if you got one today?
How do you clean one? Can I hose it off?

Thanks guys

BTW this RC truck is fun and I have a feeling this will be like my plane addiction.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: Parts that break

1. I wouldn't worry about much until something breaks. Then, you only upgrade what is absolutely necessary, instead of wasting money on parts that aren't. I would get some RPM a-arms all the way around, aluminum bearing carriers front and rear, center diff if you want it to handle decent, and a good 2s lipo (5000mah at least if you can) if you don't already have one! Also, it would probably be a good idea to get a cooling fan on the ESC and maybe a heat sink on the motor. Those VXLs run hot.
2. A-arms, bearing carriers, shock towers, shock shafts and caps (just get the big bores, they will prevent this), spur gears, and some driveshafts.
3. Run it!
4. You can hose it off but keep in mind that just because the electronics are waterproof that doesn't mean that the metal mehcanical parts won't rust. I suggest blowing it off with compressed air and scrubbing it with a dry tooth brush.

Have fun, and there is already a Slash thread which might be more helpful for your Slash-specific needs.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

1. I wouldn't worry about much until something breaks. Then, you only upgrade what is absolutely necessary, instead of wasting money on parts that aren't. I would get some RPM a-arms all the way around, aluminum bearing carriers front and rear, center diff if you want it to handle decent, and a good 2s lipo (5000mah at least if you can) if you don't already have one! Also, it would probably be a good idea to get a cooling fan on the ESC and maybe a heat sink on the motor. Those VXLs run hot.
2. A-arms, bearing carriers, shock towers, shock shafts and caps (just get the big bores, they will prevent this), spur gears, and some driveshafts.
3. Run it!
4. You can hose it off but keep in mind that just because the electronics are waterproof that doesn't mean that the metal mehcanical parts won't rust. I suggest blowing it off with compressed air and scrubbing it with a dry tooth brush.

Have fun, and there is already a Slash thread which might be more helpful for your Slash-specific needs.
can't argue that center dif made a world of difference to me.

otherwise wait till it breaks, and replace with RPM like was mentioned
Old 06-29-2012, 03:34 AM
Admiral052

Thanks Guys I will look into these specific parts. I took the truck out last night and had a blast. This thing is quick out of box. I did notice after a while that when I back up the truck it wobbles, and now pulls to the right. I will need to check it out to see if I broke something but it was crazy hot here yesterday and my garage is satans den so I was not going to look into it then.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

did a wheel nut come loose?
only other part I can think of that would make it wobble is traxxas's servo saver might have came loose, or broke (from what I remember it isn't the best quality)
Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Admiral052

Not sure I will take a look, seems to only wobble in reverse and pull right in forward motion. I will inspect it.

SyCo what does the Center Differential do that would increase handling? What is the theory behind that and why it changes?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ahhh simple its like a rear diff in function it transfers power to where its needed, and gives better handling for the most part.
like if your front breaks free it will transfer more power up front so you can hopefully regain control.

you can tune how much to transfer by changing diff fluids.

main reason I like center diffs is it cuts down a lot on wheelies cause once the front pulls up it transfers more power up so the rear doesn't keep pushing it as hard.

hope I explained it properly I know how it works in my head but have a hard time explaining it.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Admiral052

No that does make sense, is the a certain type or size of kit I should use? I looked at the truck real quick to see if anything was loose and the wheel nuts were snug, I am going to take off the wheels to inspect the rest of the parts for cracks and damage.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

if you are speaking of a kit for the center diff for the slash 4X4 Traxxas has one I don't know if anyone else bothered making an after market one
part #6808 (be careful to get the full thing I see some individual parts going under that # too)