Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Beechcraft Bonanza Engine Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Top Flite Beechcraft Bonanza Engine Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:35 PM
rmurphydc-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Beechcraft Bonanza Engine Recommendations

I am having a Top Flite beechcraft Bonanza built with all the bells and whistles and I need engine recommendations. I have reviewed many threads so far and have determined I want/need an engine 1.40 size or larger. I am leaning toward an O.S 1.60 FX, a Saito FA-150, or a Saito FA 180.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Gone to a Higher Plane
Banned

A buddy of mine built a Beech and he did a fantastic detail job on it and it looked real ...it was just beautiful. He ended up installing a YS 140 in it which was way more than it needed but he wanted the most reliable 4 stroke money could buy and I was choosen for the maiden flight and I was amazed at how well it flys. The plane was heavy but the 140 was awesome power and sound and with the gear sucked up it was like flying a pattern plane...I mean this thing really did track good. This plane had everything on it but on board electric starter.
If money is not an object then I would highly recommend the YS but a well broke in, tested, and reliable Saito 180 or 150 would be great.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:42 PM
rmurphydc-RCU

Thanks for your input Proteus. I have, from experience and from what I read, found that Saito's tend to be gas-hogs until they are broken in.

Do you know what prop your friend used with the 1.40?
Old 09-05-2003, 12:24 AM
Gone to a Higher Plane
Banned

The prop was a 3 blade but I don't remembor what size it was.
All the 4 and 2 strokes of that size are going to be harder on fuel but that is just the nature of the beast. My Saito 180 was hard on fuel until I learned how to tune it and I now get plenty of flying time and ready to land long before the tank is dry. I had a throttle servo go bad on me and it was stuck at full throttle so I just cruised around until it ran out and it took for ever to run dry. How long that was...I don't know but it was at least twice as long as I normally put in each flight.
I will see if I can get the prop size by buddy was using on the 140.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine

I'm also trying to figure out what engine to put in my Bonanza. I am seriously considering installing a 3W-24 gasser. Its got about the same power as a Zenoah G-38 but at 1/2 the weight. I had one in a 1/4 scale Cap 232 and it flew with the same amount of power as the Saito 1.50 it had in it.

If that doesn't appear to be a good setup, I will probably install a Laser 150 engine in it. Reason: It is designed to run on low or no nitro fuel and it would save fuel money in the long run over a Saito 1.50 or Saito 1.80 which suck tons of fuel on 15% or higher nitro.
Any thoughts on this idea of using a small gasser?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the Top Flite Gold Edition Beechcraft Bonanza is kept within the weight guidlines, it will fly very nicely on a 2-stroke .90/.91 engine or a .91-1.20 4-stroke engine. If it's overweight, then you'll need more power, but you'll also have lousier flying characteristics.

Ready-to-fly, the model should not exceed 13 pounds, even with retracts, interior, and lights.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Gone to a Higher Plane
Banned

This is just my opinion but one thing you might want to think about is a plane like this is probably not going to be flown every weekend like on of your sport planes or at least thats what I have noticed in the past so you probably won't be going thru a bunch of fuel. I may be wrong and you plan on it being your main plane but most people put a lot more work into it and don't want to press their luck any further than needed.
A gas motor will sure cut down on the operating cost but in my opinion they shake a lot at idle and weigh more than this plane needs. I am thinking back to when I flew my buddys plane and a gas is going to be way more motor than is needed.
The YS 140 he had in his plane was actually more than it needed but he wanted the best 4 stroke money could buy so I told him it is YS and at $600.00 he got a damn fine and smooth motor but most people are not willing to shell out that kinda bread.
The plane would have flown real good on an OS 1.20 4 stroke because I was really not at full throttle that much.
Something else I just remembered is I doubt if there is enough room in the cowl for a gas motor.
As I said before these are just my observations and in the end it really falls to the builder to get a motor that is going to fit all the criteria.
I have a Saito 180 and it does not burn as much fuel as you might think once it is adjusted right...many people run the motor way to rich but the Saito will let you do that because of it has such a broad needle. I also doubt you will be at full throttle all that much so you will have much better flight times than you would if it was in an Extra or a Cap.
The Beech is a plane that begs to be flown in a scale manner with mild to no aerobatics and I was usually at about 1/2 throttle which was really to fast...something to think about.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Size

Check out this post http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hlight=BONANZA

Looks like people are putting 28 oz of ballast in the nose to balance this tail heavy airplane. I've decided to use a gasser as functional weight and save money in fuel in the long run. I expect mine to be a daily flyer when I'm done with it.

I'm not worried about vibration. I don't think it is as big as a problem as people say. After all, this is an 80 inch wingspan and I've run small gassers on airplanes with 72 inches with NO problems at all.

Here are the engines I am considering:
3W-24
RCS 1.40
RCs 1.80

Andyy
Old 09-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Gone to a Higher Plane
Banned

Wow...that is hard to beleive...looks like a gasser might not get you where it needs to be but I sure as hell would not add 28 oz.of weight to any plane if there were other options.
Looks like it will be shy even with a YS 140 in the nose...I never knew this about the one I flew...probably a good thing I did not now this. It sure did fly good even with all the dead weight in the nose.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:04 PM
rmurphydc-RCU

I appreciate everyones input. PLease keep them coming. I will let everyon know what I decide to use and eventually will have pictures.

Thanks,

RmurphyDC