Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

1/8 Buggy for a buggy beginer

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 04:14 AM
bigjdubb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 Buggy for a buggy beginer

I am thinking of getting a 1/8 buggy and starting to race it. I am really torn about buying one. I would like to not spend to much money on it, at the same time I don't want it to be worthless on the track. I know that I cant have my cake and eat it to, what I am looking for is a middle of the road buggy. Not the best buggy in the world but at least on that can be competitive on the track (once I learn how to race it).
Old 09-05-2003, 04:23 AM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

OFNA makes some pretty good middle-of-the-road buggies. They have a Hyper 7 PBS RTR, which comes with its own starter box, and the Hyper .21 motor. Real good setup to learn on, I think it's around the $500 mark.

I would say any of the OFNA's though, I like them. Higher class would be like the Mugen's or Kanai's. There is kinda a war between the 2, like the MAXX and the Savage....so you will get biased opinions. All I can say, is plant an RB WS7 II in either, and you'd be happy....but let's learn to drive one first

The PBS RTR will get you in the high 40's, low 50's....it's a fast and stable buggy, parts are readily available, and OFNA parts interchange quite often. Only thing I would recommend for ANY buggy, is to:

#1, stay away from pull starts. They are inefficient, put strain on the motor, and break all the time

#2, put a good steering servo on it. Something with at least, 80-100 oz of torque. A good throttle/brake servo wouldn't hurt either, but definately the steering is important
Old 09-05-2003, 01:52 PM
bigjdubb

So between a 7.5 sports and a Hyper 7 PBS which would you choose? The regular 7.5 would be nice but man they are expensive. My LHS sells Ofna, Kyosho and Mugen parts so that isnt a problem, but I dont want to spend $700+ building my first buggy.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Kuma

If your LHS carries parts for the brand you want to pick, that's best to do, If you go for the MP7.5 Sports, it's a fairly good choice since you can very easily upgrade it fully to a Kanai 2 in the future. My LHS doesn't carry Kyosho, so I got an OFNA, but am considering a different buggy for next summer and perhaps will go with a Hyper 7 (PCR hopefully) or Mugen. Also the GS Storm RTR is a good buggy, good enough for a beginner and comes with a super nice radio.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:27 PM
dagass

If you're looking for a good "beginner" buggy that won't break the bank and that can grow with you, give the Ofna Ultra MBX Pro RTR a look. It's a solid platform that can be improved over time with a variety of available hopups. That fact that it's only $350.00 is a plus too.

A couple of the guys on RCU have one and will attest to the fact that they are extremely tough and seem to hold their own at the track. Are they in the same league with a Mugen or a MP 7.5? No! But they are still very good buggies and you get alot of performance for your $350.00. I run the Hyper 7 PBS and it's a fantastic buggy however at $500.00, it's not exactly cheap. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Kuma

I've been told the 9.5 parts are compatable with the MBX, that's another nice way to upgrade- If this is true I'll probably max out my MBX with 9.5 parts. The MP7.5 is definately a better car due to its advanced design and technology and lower CG, but comes with a high price. A good driver with an MBX can beat an average driver with a MP7.5
Old 09-05-2003, 07:21 PM
bigjdubb

I will most likely get a lesser expensive one for now and get my foot in the door. If I can learn to drive the lower end cars well then I should only do better with the better cars. I dunno, $350 now 1 yr later sell it for next to nothing and spend $600+ on a new one....screw it I will just buy the lesser expensive one now. I will most likely tear the crap out of it anyway (I am used to driving a Maxx).
Old 09-05-2003, 07:35 PM
studysession

I have an OFNA Hyper 7 PBS - LOVE IT!!!

Go for any middle of the road OFNA and you will be very happy. Let us know what you get.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Kuma

Forgot to mention, if you go with an OFNA MBX, you won't be disapointed, it's quite durable for just about anythying. I let my father drive my car yesterday and there was one jump that he'd go over and land on the top edge of the landing bump and flip the car over violently, I was afraid something broke after he did it 7 or 8 times, but the only thing broke was a crack in the wing.

Pic of me standing while the MBX zips by.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107704_38715.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	59844  
Old 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
firstime

Try the Tamiya Terra Crusher
I've heard it's good
Old 09-05-2003, 09:10 PM
dagass

Ummmm...... The Terra Crusher MAY be good, but I don't think it falls into the 1/8 scale buggy category!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Savage_Dias

MBX Pros rock! I haven't had mine on a track because there isn't one around here so I can't vouch for it's racing ability. As far as bashing goes they're definately worth getting. Mine is stock & it blows away the stock trucks I've had it against (Savage, Rush, T Maxx). As far as jumping goes, I can clear 6' & land in grass without a worry & I know I've had it over 15' in the air thanks to a downhill jump. The only thing that slowed me down was a tree limb that sent me spinning in more ways than I could count.

edit I've also been told that new MBXs come with a .26.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

Originally posted by firstime
Try the Tamiya Terra Crusher
I've heard it's good
Not really applicable to this thread.... :stupid: