Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Anyone with accual supercharger, intercooler, or nitrous experience.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Anyone with accual supercharger, intercooler, or nitrous experience.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Moparman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone with accual supercharger, intercooler, or nitrous experience.

Thanks "guver", most people tell me I know too much for being a 19 year old. I just have a passion for anything mechanical. The way my turbo is designed allows the bearings to be lubed by the unburnt oil in the exhaust, which means that the engine must only be richened to accomidate the additional airflow. If anyone wants to continue this dicussion please join me on the "RC turbo design problems..." forum I started so we can leave this forum open for what it was supposed to be for. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
dfn_doe

Default RE: Anyone with accual supercharger, intercooler, or nitrous experience.

If anyone is interested, I just wrote a pretty long post about some of the techinical caveats of designing a forced induction system for an RC 2-stroke motor. Click here, it's post #7.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:38 PM
SinCityJets

I love my nitrous system. It adds a ton of low end. There's a guy on ebay selling the kits right now for $30 less than what I bout mine for! And he is selling the nitrous for super cheap.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:53 AM
VeeAte

I for one say go for it.
The drag racing guys tear engines down after every run and inspect/replace parts. RC motors are cheap anyway so if you blow one I don't think it will kill your mortgage.

You could run a second fuel line to the same point the nitrous is injected with a valve operated by the same servo that lets the nitrous go. So when you hit the switch you are getting an additional hit of fuel as well to stop it leaning out. Most likely a hell of a lot of bother, but then I love playing with this sort of thing.

You could also prop the engine right up and use the nitrous to spin the prop up to top engine speed very quickly.

Then again I am not two stroke expert. I say go for it. This sort of experimentation is what sometimes leads to new innovations which are marketed and benefit the whole hobby in some way or another.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:52 PM
bobcat7811

Just mount you a couple of model rocket engines on the back and be done with it!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 AM
terence_01

Hi. I've got an idea on how too cool down the nitro petrol of the RC engine. I just want to find out at you guys if it's going to work. Were can I upload an image of the idea for you guys??
Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
nitrorcjunkie

ok, ok, what was the original topic of this thread???? oh yeah, N20, turbos and superchargers.....Nitrous....... the purpose of running N2o on a vehicle, be it r/c or 1/1, is to pack more oxygen and fuel into the cylinder for a 'bigger bang'. N2O is 1/3 oxygen, so if you introduce N20 into the motor, you must add more fuel to compensate, or risk detonation (premature exposion of the air/fuel mix). In a 2-stoke glow engine, part of the nature of the beast is for a portion of the air/fuel mixture to pass thru the engine unburned, so in my opinion, running too lean just because you add N2O to the mix isn't really an issue. However, in the confined space on an r/c chassis, the N2O injection is close enough to the combustion chamber to offer some degree of 'intercooling' to the mix as a result of the liquid N2O turning to gas, thereby making the A/F mixture more dense. Cooler air is denser than warm air.
Performance gains on 1/1 cars equipped with nitrous can be HUGE, but it is expensive. Is it really worth it on a R/C car? Sure there's the wow factor, but really......
Old 10-20-2006, 03:21 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The thing about 1 to 1 cars and nitrous you have a pump that all so injects more gas as well as the nitrous to keep from frying your engine. Now on the nitrous systems for RC you do not have this so I have to wonder how long before you fry and engine!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:50 PM
smaxx3.3

about the supercharger it is crap it will make boost but it is all wasted cause the intake and exhusts ports are open at the same time. therefore just blowing fuel out the exhust,makeing run times shorter, adding extra weight to your car,at least you could say you have a supercharged r/c car
Old 10-21-2006, 12:53 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: smaxx3.3

about the supercharger it is crap it will make boost but it is all wasted cause the intake and exhusts ports are open at the same time. therefore just blowing fuel out the exhust,makeing run times shorter, adding extra weight to your car,at least you could say you have a supercharged r/c car
I cannot do anything but totally agree with you here also. This is yet another thread on forced induction and I'm sure it will go hrough the very same cycles as the other threads. Oh well, I hope more technical posts will appear instead of the usual "yes it will" and "no it won't."
Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: dfn_doe

If anyone is interested, I just wrote a pretty long post about some of the techinical caveats of designing a forced induction system for an RC 2-stroke motor. Click here, it's post #7.
Read your post and truely enjoyed it. You seem to have a good grasp of the concepts. Are you adept at physics and such and can you express these concepts mathematically? I am trying to learn as much as possible, but I have yet to see any posts that are engineering grade. If you know these equations and how to factor in all the variables correctly, please post them. I don't care how complex and technical it gets, I want to know it all. If I don't understand it, I will thnik on it until it get it.

Check out my posts on this link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4615784/tm.htm

P.S: please post on the link I provided; I am watching it as new replys come up. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:27 AM
smaxx3.3

but rb innovations supercharger is $189.00 for the t-maxx. if you need more power just buy a new motor. there are some pretty good motors out there for $189

hear is a link: http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog...e04ffc31cf7cd4
Old 01-20-2008, 01:33 AM
plane_maker

ORIGINAL: smaxx3.3

Please bare with me on this one. Let use go through the cycle of a two stroke engine. We will start at TDC (top dead center). At TDC all ports are closed, the fuel air mixture is compressed and at this point the glow plug ignites the IP (ignition promoter) ie. the nitro in our fuel. The combustion then forces the piston down which creates positive preasure in the cranck case where the fuel/air mixer is waiting for the intake port to open. The piston is now at BDC (bottom dead center) which exposses the exhaust port, the intake port and the boost port. Yes, at this point all of the ports are open the fuel/air mixture that was in the crank is now rushing right out the exhaust. With or without a turbo/supercharger there is some blow by which is what makes 2 cycle engines so inefficent. But, modern RC 2 cycles rely on shock waves in the exhaust/tune pipe to force some of the fuel/air back into the combustion chamber. Manufactures have spent time and big money into engineering, not just the engeines but the exhaust as well. Now, as the piston travels upwards there are several things happening all at once. The motion of the piston traveling upwards is creating a negative crank case pressure, the exhaust port and intake ports are closing and as the piston reatches TDC the port on the crank shaft that alowes air to be sucked in through the carb and into the crank case is now opening. But, for engines that have a boost port, there is a breaf moment that the exhaust port and intake port is closed but the boost port is still open letting fuel and air that is still in the crank case enter to the combustion chamber. This is were your power gain is acheaved. The extra fuel and air that was crammed into the crank case has now entered into the combustion chamber. Yes there is more blow by, yes there is more fuel consumption but there was a larger amount of fuel/air that was able to make it into the combustion chamber ie. more fuel/air equals a larger explostion which equals more power. I don't want to sound like a know it all but if my math is right the more fuel/air that you can cram into a combustion chamber the bigger the exsplosion the bigger the power. I agree that for the price of the super/turbo chargers on the market today you should just start adding CC's. About $250 for an engine and $180 for a charger. That comes to a grand total of $430. You can by alot of engine for that amount of money and out perform any super/turbo charged engine out there. Untill manufactures can get the price down at or below $100 it would not be cost effective. Sorry about the book
Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Weiser

My opinion "just say no"
Stay away from nitros, or super chargers, they are simply eye candy and will burn your engine out faster, much like in the real world.
But good luck keep me posted on your decition or venture.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Cameo1992

I have got twin turbos on my nitro rc car, with a custom made blowoff valve, but because the engine only cool on air I couldn't run my exhaust straight to my turbos cause the first time I did it wrecked my engine after a few hours of use so now I'm just running a line out of my exhaust to the from of my car going thro 2 fuel coolers then back to the exhaust runs so good now,
Now I'm in the middle of constracting a 4speed clutch bell and gear box then hopefully start manufacturing turbos and 4 speed transmissions and sell them to the rc market, please let me know your thoughts on this cheers
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please don't resurrect old threads. Thanks.