Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The importance of helping...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The importance of helping...

Tonight these two guys who live way down the street stopped by with their nitro rc car (see here). They said "word on the street" is I'm pretty good with RC cars"I guess because my neighborssee me constantly driving/wrencing)and needed some help with their RedCat Tornado. I've learned I love wrenching on other folk's cars as much as mine.

The guy who owned the car told me he just got out of the military and is "looking for a hobby". It got me thinking about the importance of helping others get in to "the hobby". It was obvious they both were extremely intrigued with rc cars, and the guy was really bumbed about not being able to get it to start. I assured himI would eventually get it started for him and not to worry. I fired up the Hyper 7 to show him how cool it will be when we get his car up and running. The way I see it, I can either be a snob and belittlehim for what he doesn't know, or do everything in my power to help.

My goal is to keep this young man in "the hobby". I'm sure there are a lot of folks just lke him (and just like I was seven months ago), You make an investment and then soon realize you need to know what you are doing and are afraid you've ruined you car and considering eating your losses. Other than our interest in RC cars, I doubt I have much in common with him. However, I think we all swear an documented oath (especially on forums like this) to help others the best we can.

I'm not looking for a Helping Hand medal or anything, just expressing that I'm fortunate I have the opportunity to drastically affect someone's interested in "the hobby". That is important as It benefits us all.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The importance of helping...

+1 to guys like you, you just got 5 stars.
You deserve another 5 for nitro help!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 PM
The_Shark

yep, I have been running nitro almost exclusively for about 10 years, I will always be willing to help someone tune at the track I go to. I could say its so very easy and they are clueless because they don't know what to turn, but no, I explain it, take my time and am patient.

here is the thing guys, no matter how skilled you become, be humble, because there will be a day when you don't know what to do and need someone's help, and If you are known as "that know-it-all" your going to be sitting there all alone. Just remember, we all where beginners at some point. Lay your opinion on the table and leave it up to the other person to use it or not, don't force it down their throat.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+5 to you too, but the hardest thing to watch is a guy that "thinks" he knows what to do...
The guy at my track is Stan, I'll leave his last name to be assumed, tune his engine on the money, he'll richen the hell out of it so he's fueling at 5 minutes with a .21.[]
Runs out of fuel every race, or flames several times.
Poor guy, if only he would listen.
(Hopefully he will read this thread too)
Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

+5 to you too, but the hardest thing to watch is a guy that ''thinks'' he knows what to do...
The guy at my track is Stan, I'll leave his last name to be assumed, tune his engine on the money, he'll richen the hell out of it so he's fueling at 5 minutes with a .21.[]
and thats when you tell him to run electric. for some people it never clicks...
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

+5 to you too, but the hardest thing to watch is a guy that ''thinks'' he knows what to do...
and thats when you tell him to run electric. for some people it never clicks...
From how he sounds this would prolly happen if he got electric from how he runs his nitros
Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow it's a regular man-hug-fest in here! Good going guys it's really nice to see the anthropological side of the hobby being lauded.

/dancing banana
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 AM
pcarluvr

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Tonight these two guys who live way down the street stopped by with their nitro rc car (see here). They said ''word on the street'' is I'm pretty good with RC cars ''I guess because my neighbors see me constantly driving/wrencing) and needed some help with their RedCat Tornado. I've learned I love wrenching on other folk's cars as much as mine.

The guy who owned the car told me he just got out of the military and is ''looking for a hobby''. It got me thinking about the importance of helping others get in to ''the hobby''. It was obvious they both were extremely intrigued with rc cars, and the guy was really bumbed about not being able to get it to start. I assured him I would eventually get it started for him and not to worry. I fired up the Hyper 7 to show him how cool it will be when we get his car up and running. The way I see it, I can either be a snob and belittle him for what he doesn't know, or do everything in my power to help.

My goal is to keep this young man in ''the hobby''. I'm sure there are a lot of folks just lke him (and just like I was seven months ago), You make an investment and then soon realize you need to know what you are doing and are afraid you've ruined you car and considering eating your losses. Other than our interest in RC cars, I doubt I have much in common with him. However, I think we all swear an documented oath (especially on forums like this) to help others the best we can.

I'm not looking for a Helping Hand medal or anything, just expressing that I'm fortunate I have the opportunity to drastically affect someone's interested in ''the hobby''. That is important as It benefits us all.
"He just got out of the military"? Call me patriotic cause I'd help him any way I could!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Wow it's a regular man-hug-fest in here! Good going guys it's really nice to see the anthropological side of the hobby being lauded.

/dancing banana
your asking me to throw some F-bombs aren't ya!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr
"He just got out of the military"? Call me patriotic cause I'd help him any way I could!!!
Ha! I think it was the fact he said he was "looking for a hobby" that stuck with me. The more people into this hobby the better, so I believe.There are FAR worse ways for people to spend their time/money.

I ended up getting his car started. Itook apart the engine (you guys know I have a problem and can't help myself), and let's just say I can seewhat happens when you starta new nitromultipletimes without anair filter. I actually had himtake it apartand simply instructed how. Seeing someone's eyes light up as they work on their nitro engine for the first time is greatness. Not only is he now hooked in to "the hobby", but he's a nitro head to boot! ;-). His brakes do need some adjusting and the idle is WAY off. I told him just to leave ti with me and I will get it working. Because I believe in teaching a man to fish, I'm going to roll tape when I tune his drive train and post it on my YouTube channel. This way he can explicitely see how to maintain those areas. Best of all, his buddy is now interested in getting a car (I'm trying to convince him on theHyper 7).

Hugfest or not, <u>you guys </u>have set the example for me on how to help others in the world of RC. My other hobby is bass fishing (which I've been into for 20+ years), and I assure you it's completely different with respect to how those hobbyists helpone another. Often times purposely giving misleading advice simply to stay ahead. Back in the day I was notorious for pre-fishing lakes the day or two before a tourney and telling EVERYONE what was working/not working. Ha!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 AM
pcarluvr

@Johnp2... You know there are guys on YouTube that fish using RC Heli's, You could combine the 2 hobbies???