Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

using throttle to turn?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

using throttle to turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:59 AM
vtol_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using throttle to turn?

does it work well by using throttle differential to turn?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:10 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: using throttle to turn?

Well, if you are talking about only using throttle, I would have to first admit I have never tried that one.
On the surface, it would seem that it might be like a rudder only turn, but I don't think so.
If you reduce the thrust on one engine, the air flow across the wing also decreases, and so does lift on that wing. This would cause it to fall and pull back due to aerodynamic forces as the plane moves through the air. The other wing would rise and pull forward. You are heading into a spin. Did the WWII pilot do this on the P-38's, three of the veterins I have talked to say that yes, they did actually do this in a dog fight. I am not a full scale pilot, so cannot actually comment.
I do mix the rudder into the engines for aerobatic manuvers, such as hammer heads, and flat spins, but to actually attempt a turn using engines only......seems a bit chancy as we are not in the cockpit feeling our way through this......sounds like a gyro would be in order for safety.
Let us know how it works.........not me.
Good Luck,
Twinman
Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 PM
mulligan

Will work but...

Unless you have counter-rotating props, the effectiveness of turning with adverse thrust only will be different between left & right turns, as engine torque will be in the same direction (generally turning to the left). In other words, it will be easier to turn left by increasing right engine thust than vice versa. Also, it would help matters if you have up-thrust in both engines and/or the thrust line is below the CG (e.g., a low wing plane).

Incidentally, this is why twins with up-thrust generally have one degree more up on the left engine- to counter the natual adverse yaw of props rotating in the same direction and to make more even the flying characteristics when either engine quits.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:44 PM
vtol_guy

throttle will be linked with rudder to turn so i'm hoping it should be ok,

as long as she'll fly then i'll be happy, little teething problems like making the right turns as effective as left turns will come later on, as long as i have control over her then i'm happy! lol