Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tamiya Terra Crusher

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 05:49 AM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tamiya Terra Crusher

Anyone out there have a Tamiya Terra Crusher? Had any problems with the engine yet ?????
Old 05-22-2002, 09:43 AM
remten2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problem

Hi

I have a terra crusher and yes i am having problem with my engine..It runs fine for about 2 minutes then it's start to over heat and bog then dies....I thought i was running to lean so i took the needle 5 turns out but it didn't made any differrence....So now I am back at 3 turns out..I haven't figure it ou yet to what is causing this....

wizen
Old 05-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Tony Pacini

Default Terra Crusher

Disassemble the engine and check the piston/liner fit.....
Old 05-22-2002, 02:27 PM
remten2001

Default engine problem

OH well

I just ordered an a new K&B .18 engine with 12 fin cooling head so as soon this one arrives I am going to send the other one back to Tamiya...

The Tamiya engine is cheap ABN contruction .. To me is too easy to scew up...The K&B engine is ABC contruction i think it will be more reliable....

wizen
Old 05-23-2002, 05:31 AM
Tony Pacini

Default Tamiya Terra Crusher

I don't think the plating (nickel vs. chrome) is really the issue here (the plating looked OK on both liners I sent back to Tamiya). Many other RTR engines have nickel-plated sleeves (HPI, Yokomo) and seem to work fine.

The problem seems to be the lack of fit ("pinch") to start with. The last 2 car motors I bought (Megatech .16 and HPI Nitro Star .12) were both very snug. Even the worn out TRX-15 I pulled out of my son's thoroughly-abused T-Maxx has more fit left than the Crusher engines have when new. I believe they're wearing out prematurely because there's not much to wear to begin with! Break 'em in and they're just about done.....

I've smoked a few high-dollar pylon racing engines through the years (and it takes quite a bit to do so) but I've never torn one up so bad that I could push the piston all the way out through the top of the liner (as I could with the last Crusher motor I sent back to Tamiya.....).

Still waiting to hear what they plan to do this time -
Old 05-23-2002, 09:43 AM
remten2001

Default tc engine

Well

On http://www.terracrusher.net/index.htm there are some that are starting to have engine problem as well...I share the same point of view as for the piston sleeve fit...The tolerances should be recalculated ..These engine wear out to fast and Im sure they gonna have a lot of come backs...

They better stop being in denial and listen to the feedback poeple give them...If they go blind on the feedback poeple are giving ...Consumers will go blind on there product....
Old 05-28-2002, 12:35 PM
Venture30
My Feedback: (5)

Default nitro crusher

Can't adjust engine to run at temp. that will avoid damage low end to rich. The piston pushed out of the engine and still looks new. But i am going to do a complete rebuild and break the motor in again. Dave
Old 06-02-2002, 06:28 AM
Tony Pacini

Default Terra Crusher engine

Tamiya e-mailed yesterday saying that engine has been repaired (again). They say that they have no idea what caused the premature piston/liner wear but suspect fuel and/or needle setting are to blame. They said they've run their Crushers for months on O'Donnell's 20% nitro @ 3 turns out and haven't experienced any problems. I will recommend this combination to my customer.....

Tamiya has been gracious enough to cover both repairs at no charge (even though they couldn't identify a "defect"). This speaks highly of their customer service. This also makes it a bit easier to face my customer after 2 engine failures in less than a month.

I'm still concerned, though, that this piston/liner setup seems so fragile. In my store the RTRs attract mostly newcomers and therefore need to be a little more forgiving (ok, I'll say it............"IDIOT PROOF"). It's the newbies that buy these things and not only is it their first nitro car but it's usually their first R/C car (probably not a good combination). Who can resist! They're so cool! Sadly, though, even most adults find engine tuning to be an elusive skill. They don't like or understand the need for the constant tinkering (especially during break-in).

Will post findings after engine is returned.........
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
ThingsThatGlitter

Default RE: Tamiya Terra Crusher

Hey
In my constant quest to find wierd things, I just found a brand new unused red terra crusher, I dont know what to do with it lol..Are they good? I mean this one still has a sticker on top of the cooling head, now im wandering if I should sell it or collect it...Im more into big scale