Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

build help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 AM
newbie22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build help

hey i wanted to get into this hobby and i was wondering how expensive it would be to build a 4x4 from scratch and what some good ideas are for it. thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 AM
gokemidoro

Default RE: build help

Having done what you're asking about a number of times, It's easiest to put it this way - get yourself something already built, like an RTR.

To build from scratch, one usually has a wealth of spare parts lying around (axles, links, shocks, chassis plates, driveshafts, electronics, etc., ), to build from scratch from, then goes out to buy the fewparts required to complete the build, if needed. My last three crawlers were made this way, and no extra parts were purchased to complete them. That's how much "extra" stuff I have lying around, so building them up was easiest and cheapest, as no money was spent to do it.
Not everybody has this, and it took me years to accumulate it all, so a lot of thought and effort (andin nearly all cases, a LOTofmoney) is required to build from scratch.

Then there is the "roller." For example, G-Made offers a roller called the R1, and all that is required is electronics to complete. You may consider doing this, so you can see what is involved with what you're proposing.

This hobby is a good one, but you have to be prepared to spend a certain amount of money to not just be in it, but to stay in it. Parts will break, and new parts will need to be purchased, and then there are the parts that everybody wants - option parts - that not everybody can afford.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting into RC, on the contrary, it is a great hobby, and pastime! I'm only advising you of the things we, in the hobby accept, as part of the deal.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 PM
newbie22

what is the common scale for 4x4 rc trucks because i see alot of everything from 1/8 to 1/16. which is the best to choose?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: newbie22

what is the common scale for 4x4 rc trucks because i see alot of everything from 1/8 to 1/16. which is the best to choose?
1/10th is the scale you commonly see in magazines and online, and is the scale most people start with, no matter what car or truck they buy. In Crawling, 1/10th is also the most common, and has the largest market share as far as kits, rollers, RTR's as well as option parts, and is the scale I would choose.

Now, are you seriously considering one? I used to compete in crawling, so I can give you some recommendations on affordable ones that are made well, and have reputations as the better ones in the business, in either kit, roller, or RTR. If so, I will give recs on one or two to start you off, and should keep you busy!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM
newbie22

i am thinking seriously about it because it something i can do with my family but i havent saved up near anough money to start up i stil have a couple hundred to save up i was just getting as much info as i can so i have a good knowledge base to start off with.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
gokemidoro

O.K., well, here's a few things you can look up and see if they fit your prospective budget, and what you want to do and accomplish:

Venom Creeper. This particular model is a kit, and is deemed "obsolete" by competition standards, but has a number of things going for it, not the least of which is price. Check it out at RC4WD online, and they also have some suspension kit packages of the Creeper that will make the Creeper a better starting point than the base kit.

Tamiya re-released Clod Buster. This is also a kit, and somewhat expensive, but you get what you pay for. This is also one of the models credited with starting the whole RC Crawler craze. It's been around for decades, and folk still look on the Clod as a great model, though it will require a LOT of work to get it "rock ready."

Axial Wraith. This model comes as a kit or RTR, your choice. I have the RTR, and it required some work, but out-of-the-box is a fairly capable machine, even though it is not a "pure" crawling machine. The kit is, in my estimation, better, because you can start with the parts you think you'll need, even before building, and end up with exactly what you want, though again, it won't be a "pure" crawler.

Axial XR10. This model IS currently being used in competition, and has most, if not all the things required to crawl, and crawl WELL. It IS rather inexpensive, as kits go, but the extra things you'll need (motors [yes, it uses two], steering servo(s), ESC and receiver/transmitter), will add up to more than the kit cost, easy. If you don't intend to compete, this model may be overkill.

Of course, there are others (and I'm sure others will pipe in, with their recommendations!), but these immmediately come to mind, and are at least a place to start. I suggest you go to online sites like TCS Crawlers, CKRCCrawlers and RC4WD. They will have info and pricing on what they sell, and even some articles on crawlers that will help educate you on what you need to know.

THEN, there are the scalers. These are not crawling machines, per se, but are more for the detail-oriented builder. My suggestion? Only one place to start with a scaler - Axial SCX10. A number of companies (Proline, among them) make scale parts and accessories to outfit a scaler. Both TCS amd RC4WD should have these parts for you to look at. Scalers can run up a big tab, if you're not careful, though, so bear that in mind.

So that's a start! Since you still have some time, study up on what you might consider, and ask around. Don't just take my word for things. Others may have better ideas, and I haven't competed in years, so things may have changed. I do know all those companies I mentioned are still in business, so take a look at what they offer, and see if they have what you might want!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM
The Mad Modder

There's also Tamiya's CR01. I find it a good combination between scale looks and crawling capability. My brother bought one for his first crawler, but I drive it more than he does.
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...ns&pn=TAM58405

For my first crawler, I converted a HPI wheel king to one. It crawls well, but took some work to get it just right.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM
newbie22

well i was looking at more of a scaer i guess then i think they are pretty cool. but i have no idea where to start any suggestions welcome. Also whats the difference between the brushed and brushless motors performance wise?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: newbie22

well i was looking at more of a scaer i guess then i think they are pretty cool. but i have no idea where to start any suggestions welcome. Also whats the difference between the brushed and brushless motors performance wise?

I'd all but forgotten about the CR01. I'm with Modder...The CR01 would also make a great starting point for a scaler. The thing with scalers is the amount of detail you want. More detail = more cost.

The differences between brushed and BL is power output. BL is more efficient. There isn't anything wrong with brushed, but it does seem to be disappearing. Many brushed motors are no longer available. Brushed motors can also be immersed in water, where BL can't. Water is the enemy of all electronics, so you can't get an ESC that is not waterproof wet, but the brushed motor will be unaffected by it, where a BL will go pop.
BLcan be used for crawling, and many competitors use BL, but the extra cost is what makes going BLan issue for many.

I run BL only in my on-road cars and trucks. Those seem to benefit most by BL power, and they never get wet, so it's an easy fit. My Wraith runs a 55T brushed lathe motor, on 2S Lipo batteries, and seems to have enough power, though more would be nice, it does well enough for what I want it for.

Recommendations? I don't have many, but here's a couple:

Venom crawler system. This one is a brushedESC/motor combo, and is around $100. It's compact,and willfit nicely in a scaler, since room is at a premium on a scale chassis.

NovakGoat. This one is BL, and EXPENSIVE, but is the most powerful system I have ever used.

Anything Castle. All are BL, and Castle's ESC's can be programmed (via CastleLink, which is extra, butan important extra!) with213% drag brake, which will hold an 8-Lb. crawler on the rocks, usingCastle'slowest-rated motor!

The last two would benefit from waterproofing, and are not really necessary for a scaler, but if you looked at those crawler companies' websitesImentioned above, they have power systems they offer, inboth brushed and BL, so my advice is to take a lookat what you think wouldfit your purposes and budget. I think you would be better served witha brushed system.