Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

TWINSTAR with retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

TWINSTAR with retracts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TWINSTAR with retracts

Hi...
I was wondering if anyone ever attempted to install mechanical retracts to a Hobbico Twinstar.
Nothing wrong with the default set up of fixed gear, but I think it would look very slick if retracts were to be installed.
I noticed that in the nose of the fuselage as well as the wing underside, offer enough space for such installation.
I would like read your opinion on this matter.
Thanks in advance ...
Old 09-17-2003, 04:32 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: TWINSTAR with retracts

Doomking;

The problem with most twins of this kind is the length of the underbody between the leading edge of the wing and the back edge of the nose block. Or nose plastic on the TwinStar. This limits the length of the strut and wheel assembly that can be folded up, and with the longest strut usable the mains have to a bit short also to hold the plane in an attitude that will allow it to take off without a lot of difficulty.

The end result is less ground clearance, leading to the requirement for using three bladed props in many cases to keep the engines loaded and working. Personally, I prefer 3 bladed props, some people swear at them.

So. See how long you can make the nose strut, if you can still use the props you have on it now, and go from there.

HTH.

Bill.