Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

TC4 Brushless conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
JoeMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC4 Brushless conversion

Hi all,

I am looking to convert my 2004 Team Kit TC4 to Brushless and do not know what Motors to use in On Road 4WD cars. Been looking for a Combo Kit with ESC and Brushless Motor and have not found one yet. Looking for some input on what Kv Brushlessmotor and ESC combo works best in the On Road Cars.

Thanks for your input
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
LENYLOW

Default RE: TC4 Brushless conversion

All depends on how fast you want it to go. 2s or 3s lipo? The castle creations mamba max
Combos are what most people run in this car, really good esc,s and motors.
I have an mtroniks 5.5t motor and esc combo it's 2s max with the 5.5t motor but it's plenty fast
Enough for me. I'm up around the 60mph mark with it, so if you want more speed than that your
Looking at a mamba on 3s.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
JoeMaxx

Thanks for the input.

Thinkingabout runnning a 4900Kv Motor combo on this older car.It will only fit a2SLiPo battery pack which I already havethree 5000 40C 2S battery packs.

It currently has a 13T Brushed motor in it which runs in the 20 to 25 Mph range. I am thinking the 4900Kv will be about a 9.5 Turn motor in theconversion. It should add the extra speed I am looking for. I can adjustthe speed on it with Pinion and SpurGears. I am looking to run in the 30 to 40 Mph range.

I have the 2 Speed in my MTX3 to run in the 60 MPH range at the moment and need to gear it back down to a slower speed again so will run around a track again. Had it setup for a while for parking lots and it is way too fast for a track.

Thing that kills me when looking at Combos is they aremostly suggesting off road applicatons so it makes it a little difficult to decide. I should just be looking at the Motor TurnConvesion charts and decide from their since in the old brushed motor applications it was all Motor Turns and said really not much unless you were Spec Racing on a track with a certain size motor.

I do not race just a serious basher that loves to runon a track On Road and Off Road. Tracks are my playing field and I go to them on practice days.

I do not need insane speeds like your 5.5T which looking at conversion charts is a 7700 Kv brushlessmotorsounds like a lot of fun but will be too fast for where I like to run. You let me know how fast a car will run with this motor and that was very helpful. I was able to use the information and decide between different motors.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to get something sensored, it makes a noticeable difference in touring cars. Also, conversion charts aren't always accurate in respect of turns vs kv, they're just an approximation.

Joe you should run a higher kv motor in a touring car, they are lightweight, have thin tires, efficient drivetrains, all equal less strain on the equipment, I would say go at least 6000kv. In a well maintained car you shouldn't have any problems with temperatures a heatsink wouldn't solve, even if you went to, say, 8500kv, provided you geared sensibly.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM
JoeMaxx

Thanks for the Input Foxy !!

It is always considered and respected. I understand the conversion charts are an estimate for motor turns and the LiPobattery packswe run can change the turn ratings. It is a whole new world understanding what I used to know to what is now a days in Electrics. Used to be simple. So much more to learn.

On roads I like to run Foam Tires and they grip so much better then any rubber tire. I have all the tools Hudy Setup board and blocks for setting the suspension upalso a Droop gauge for on road setups.

Have to askfora little more advice.What shore tires would you run on an On RoadElectric car.In the past on myMugen MTX3 I wouldgenerally run around a 40shore tire for an smoothasphalttrack in the heat of summer when the track is hot but since thisTC4 car is lighter would the same tires work for it? I do not want so much grip that it will flip over but do not want to spin into a wall either. I also understand every track is different but the one I ran on 7 years ago is very smooth and prepared than can be high grip when it is 90 + degrees outside. Took me a long time to setup my Mugen MTX 3 toget around the track without flipping or spinning. Eventually found a good setup for this car.