Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

how to build a 1/5 onroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default how to build a 1/5 onroad

Its sad that there are not really any large scale onroad cars.
Sure, there are a few...very expensive...1/5 gas powered onroads.
But since onroad cars are light (compared to simillar sized offroad models) it should be easy to use a 1/8 (or even 1/10) brushless system to power a 1/5 onroad car.

Now, I have taken a stampede vxl and made it into a 1/5 scale. Not that hard to do.

But stretching and widening a typical 1/10 onroad probly wont work. the 4wd presents a problem, and widening one would be tricky.

So I have been trying to think of another chassis to turn into a 1/5 onroad. A 2wd buggy seems like a possiblity. Widening it is still a tricky thing. And a 1/5 onroad would probly need 17mm hubs to fit any properly sized tires.

I have considered trying to work off a 1/8 scale chassis. A ofna LXE2 or the exceed mad drift 1/8 could be possible. But each is over $200. If I am gonna hack a chassis, I dont wanna start with something that expensive.

Any other ideas?
And are there any larger onroad wheels that might fit 12mm or 14mm hex?
I have a place I can get a fairly cheap 1/5 car body...and I can get a 1/8 BL system for not much over $100.
I would like it to be 4wd, but cant think of an easy way to make that happen.

Also, wouldnt a 1/5 pan car chassis be kinda cool? The increased size might make it fairly stable, and the light weight would mean even a 1/10 brushless system would work.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: how to build a 1/5 onroad

The problem with on-road vs off road, especially in the large scales, is that on-road has to be done 'right'. An on-road car that doesn't handle is undriveable. An off road car with bad handling has far less drivability issues.

You will definitely need some way of mounting real 1/5th wheels, which means you need the square FG hubs.

I think you have set yourself an incredibly challenging goal there. If you said off road, sure. On-road, too many variables which require total understanding and correct installation, even worse of you go electric due to the savage power delivery, even well designed and built models with clutched engines are hard to keep in a straight line.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hummm tough one.

I think 1/10 scale would be out of the question.

and 1/8 scale is not even close, If u were to widen it, I dont think the suspension would be able to withstand the increase in force from the extra leverage. Sure it will work but for how long?

Dont be fooled by Redcat....
Im not convinced a Redcat rampage is 1/5 scale. espically when u compare it to other 1/5's out there its very small 2/3 the size
IMO its more of a true 1/8 scaler....well after all the HPI 1/8 bodies seem to fit them very well

Just to give u an idea of the size of a true 1/5 here is my 5ive compared to my 8ight.... keep in mind most people consider the 8ight to be big
Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 AM
phmaximus

another point to consider 1/5 scale wheels are going to put some serious torque on the diff and drive shafts.

For example

a 8ight buggy uses 3.30:1 where the truggy is 4.30:1 because of the larger wheels... so if u were to use 1/5 wheels on a 1/8 buggy u would want to go even higher again to reduce the torque placed on the ring and pinion gears. My guess with a diff that small maby something like 6.30:1. Sure a 5ive has the same ratio as the 8ight buggy, but its diff is over 3 times the size and strength.

have u seen how cheap the HSP/Redcat Fable RTR is???? it might be the cheapest way to get something close to 1/5 scale?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

another point to consider 1/5 scale wheels are going to put some serious torque on the diff and drive shafts.

For example

a 8ight buggy uses 3.30:1 where the truggy is 4.30:1 because of the larger wheels... so if u were to use 1/5 wheels on a 1/8 buggy u would want to go even higher again to reduce the torque placed on the ring and pinion gears. My guess with a diff that small maby something like 6.30:1. Sure a 5ive has the same ratio as the 8ight buggy, but its diff is over 3 times the size and strength.

have u seen how cheap the HSP/Redcat Fable RTR is???? it might be the cheapest way to get something close to 1/5 scale?
got a link to this model? I have never heard of a redcat fable.
Redcat did have a 1/5 rally car (which was really a onroad) but hasnt sold that for some time now.

I know that redcat's 1/5's are not as large as say the HPI baja 5t. I have heard some rag on the redcat because it is smaller.....
but if you look at the specs, its not a huge difference. The 5T's body is part of what makes it seem much larger.
5T............rampage pro
length: 817 ......740 (32'' to 29'')
Wheelbase: 570.........516
width: 480.................600 (19'' to 23.5''!)
Hight: 255.................350

So the extra length and full fender body makes it look much larger that it is. Dont be fooled, the 5t is not as wide or as tall as a rampage pro
The rampage body is small due to its type and not so much because the chassis is small.

Will 1/8 buggy onroad tires look right on a 1/5 onroad body? Or will they look too small? I have never seen 1/5 onroad tires 1st hand.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
phmaximus

opps my bad..... HSP fable, redcat xbe
on paper the rampage sounds like its close to a 5b or a 5ive-t, in real life its not. most of the width is from the offset of the wheels.

I guess in my mind, for the rampage to be 1/5 scale it really should be bigger than the 5t and 5ive-t with the same size body, kind of like the way a real monster truck is bigger than a trophy truck.

so sure its a very small 1/5 chassis with the wheels off, but its got a 1/8 body. So that would mean its 1/8 right?

IMO they should of made the chassis wider and longer rather than fitting a smaller body.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

opps my bad..... HSP fable, redcat xbe
on paper the rampage sounds like its close to a 5b or a 5ive-t, in real life its not. most of the width is from the offset of the wheels.

I guess in my mind, for the rampage to be 1/5 scale it really should be bigger than the 5t and 5ive-t with the same size body, kind of like the way a real monster truck is bigger than a trophy truck.

so sure its a very small 1/5 chassis with the wheels off, but its got a 1/8 body. So that would mean its 1/8 right?

IMO they should of made the chassis wider and longer rather than fitting a smaller body.
what 1/8 body is 30'' long?
the savage flux is only 21 inches long and 16.5 inches wide.
I have 2 of the rampage bodies, one for my 1/5 crawler and one for my 1/5 slash project.

the hpi 5t is 1/5 the scale of a real truck. the rampage's are 1/5 scale as a "general" rc scale. It has nothing to be scale off of. and until HPI releases that supossed 1/8 gas savage, all gassors are considered 1/5 scale or larger.

I have seen a rampage with the body off and it was comparable to the KM baja I had at the time.
Most of the width being from the wheels makes sence. why make the chassis wider when the MT sytle wheels will do the job.

They didnt want a truck to compete with the hpi's. That would be stupid for them really. They made a truck that is still very large that can be sold for hundereds less.
My KM baja got smoked by a rampage mt. I mean, as soon as I saw a rampage mt run...I knew I bought the wrong 1/5!

I wish I could buy a redcat XBE. Thats a beast of a brushless buggy!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM
phmaximus

bababaaaa... im a dik

I assumed that that excalade body was a HPI one, but i think its from a Kmart kids toy.

in all honesty I Wouldent mind a rampage... wonder if there will be a brushless version?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

bababaaaa... im a dik

I assumed that that excalade body was a HPI one, but i think its from a Kmart kids toy.

in all honesty I Wouldent mind a rampage... wonder if there will be a brushless version?
I thought that body looked too big to be a 1/8...LOL.
I wish I could go back in time and buy a rampage xt instead of the km baja I bought. Both are close in price...but with 1/5 scale you really want the 4wd handling. The KM was cool, but half the time you are spinning out or understeering.

Still havent come up with a good idea of how to build a 1/5 onroad on the cheap. Seems like it would be harder than the 1/5 stampede I did.

I should focus on my 1/5 crawler anyway
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
phmaximus

Save up for a 5ive...they are worth it, seriously best rc out IMO

this tax return im torn, to I get some big upgrades for my 5ive or do I get a chassis for a 1/6 crawler body I have???

I like that 1/5 crawler u did. and even DJMedics... might have to build one