Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

4WD to 2WD...will this hurt anything

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 09:56 PM
AznAbyss952

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD to 2WD...will this hurt anything

I use my car as a basher, I haven't found any places near me where I can race my super nitro rally, so I just bash, but if I take the front dog bones out will this hurt parts on my car?
Old 09-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Aterlatus

Default RE: 4WD to 2WD...will this hurt anything

I recently lost a part off my drivetrain which caused me to go to RWD.

You should've seen the donuts

It was uncontrollable - the front of the car just wasn't stiff enough to handle RWD, so it'd fly out of control before you got past 1/3 throttle.

Still, the donuts were amazing
Old 09-16-2003, 10:08 PM
AznAbyss952

but will anything break on my car? And I'm not talking about if I crash.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Aterlatus

In the hour or two that I was running my car in that state (until I realised what'd caused my loss of control), I didn't break anything...

I'd probably recommend removing part of the drive chain rather than the dogbones though - I can imagine the dogbones providing an extra level of structural integrity to the front of the car...
Old 09-17-2003, 03:00 AM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

does your car have a central diff, if so youd need to lock it. also take out all the dogbones ie central and front. you dont want the front diff bleeding power when its not needed and the front wheels will spin more freely and independently without the dogbones in (thats why some real cars have front hub locks)

the car is going to handle way different, especially its turning ability because the front tires wont be driving it into a turn. the car will id say understeer more especially under power unless you change set up to make it turn in better. either way handling will suffer

if you run in 2wd then all the engines power is running to 2 wheels not 4 so the rear drivetrain will be running twice as hard (in reality less than 2ce as hard) than when in 4wd. it can probably handle this but parts will wear out quicker cos they are under more stress.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:02 PM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

you need to take out the center dogbone to the front.. or if it's belt driven.. take off the belt... running to the front. I had a 4-tec 2wd. with a 21 in it. thing would just do donuts, weird peel outs.. it wasn't controllable.. it was dangerously way too fast. it's like a engine on wheels... but it was fun while it lasted.. I sold it because it's just fun to do those goofy things.. nothing else..
Old 09-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Qlone

Just for fun I converted my HPI rs4-3 to front-wheel drive only. It worked quite okay really, but there was a lot of wheelspin when driving...
Old 09-17-2003, 05:13 PM
AznAbyss952

I'm gonna do it as soon as I get my new engine. How can I tell if my car has a central diff.?
Old 09-17-2003, 07:19 PM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

see if you can rotate the two central dogbones in opposite directions if so it has a diff if there isnt s a diff the central dogbones will only turn together as if there one solid axle
Old 09-18-2003, 10:05 AM
maUru

ORIGINAL: nodolarsnosense
the car is going to handle way different, especially its turning ability because the front tires wont be driving it into a turn. the car will id say understeer more especially under power unless you change set up to make it turn in better. either way handling will suffer
rwd causes oversteer not understeer (if you are talking about 2wd back wheel drive) - fwd causes understeer

4wd tends to understeer unless drifting
Old 09-19-2003, 01:23 AM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

what you said mauru is true (it is just that the front tires wont gripon my rear wd car, c when accelerating so it understeers), but for any car with resonable front grip you would be more likely to get oversteer with rwd, understeer with fwd and better handling for awd which is tweeked to slightly understeer in real cars.
sorry i lost my marbles for a sec