Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

do i need a discarger

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 10:46 AM
mad_taffy2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need a discarger

hi do i need 1 of these or do u guys have ne tips on what u do please
Old 09-18-2003, 11:39 AM
dg2b

Default RE: do i need a discarger

For nicads, it is recommend. For nimh, not really but I do it anyway.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:15 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

A discharger depends on what you are doing with the batteries, if you are running electric cars, its a must in my opinion. If running nitro and you are worried about your TX and Rcvr batteries, its all in what you are running and what you are happy with.

Nicads will develop memory overtime and must be cycled or discharged and charged to eliminate the effect.
Nimhs are said to be more resistant to memory but I have found that some cells benefit from a cycle from time to time.

A discharger will allow you to see the performance of a battery and you will know ahead of time before it goes bad.
You can use a lightbulb to discharge and a wall charger to charge but in my opinion you are in the dark with the wall charger.

I cycle my batteries once every few months in my cars, I cycle my plane batteries every month and I always monitor the charge. Its bad news to have a battery go bad in your plane. The cars are not as bad if you have PCM or failsafe as the failsafe will keep the car from WOT if the battery fails. I do check my packs with a voltmeter while running to ensure proper voltage.

Keep in mind that all cells have a lifespan, while some cells will last quite some time, they all will go bad at some point. In a cycle a bad pack or cell will show up by falling short of its rated capacity. When this happens its time to chunk the pack, or in some cases take the pack apart and find the bad cell.

I should add that the great planes triton is a great charger/discharger for the money. It charges just about anything, cycles and has memory for packs and such.
Its DC only so you would also need a power supply...Tower carries it.
In my opinion one of the best chargers out there. There are others available if you are on a budget. The superbrain is a great charger but it does not discharge, you can get away with it as long as you discharge with a bulb or something and always make sure to watch the capacity going in when you charge. Keep in mind with the bulb that it is sometimes possible to discharge to the point that a cell actually reverses...This is bad news. The discharger allows you to set the discharge voltage.

Dbow
Old 09-19-2003, 01:36 AM
mad_taffy2k

thank you very much for such an informative reply after what u said i will be getting one the end of the month my packs are all brand new and seem to be fine but ill start cycleing them soon thanks again

jon
Old 09-19-2003, 05:46 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Im glad the information was helpfull, make sure you do your homework on the charger and get something that you will be happy with. The Triton is in my opinion one of the best, however it may not be the best for you. Check out all the options and make sure you purchase something you can afford and does exactly what you want it to.

For more precise detailed information the battery forum here at universe can answer just about any question you might have. In most cases a search will produce a plethora of information. You could also check out Reds battery clinic, this guy is very knowleagable and has much information on his web site. Im sure you will stumble across it in the battery forum or do a search there for the site. I think it may be rcbatteryclinic.com.

Good luck

Dbow
Old 09-19-2003, 10:44 AM
dg2b

dbow - great detailed response. Thanks. I will also check out the Triton.

I have been using a dynamite vision and have been looking at the intellipeak digital pulse and novak millenium pro. For discharger, I am using the Trinity Realtime 2. It allows for nimh discharging and been working fine for me. Checking voltage after discharge seems to do the job.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:31 AM
caddbitch

2 things first i owned the Dynamite Vision though sufficient I now know it sucks. Secondly the intellipeak has a built in discharger with a auto cut off and this charger is really sweet, brought back to life packs i thought were dead and only took a few cycles (cycles being discharging followed by charging and repeating the process 2 or more times in a row) and i get a better charge then I ever did with my Vision charger. Best money I have spent in a while.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:43 AM
dg2b

ORIGINAL: cadd*****

2 things first i owned the Dynamite Vision though sufficient I now know it sucks. Secondly the intellipeak has a built in discharger with a auto cut off and this charger is really sweet, brought back to life packs i thought were dead and only took a few cycles (cycles being discharging followed by charging and repeating the process 2 or more times in a row) and i get a better charge then I ever did with my Vision charger. Best money I have spent in a while.
Thanks for the good feedback on the intellipeak.