Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rabbit Dry Lake conditions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rabbit Dry Lake conditions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
jpor22
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rabbit Dry Lake conditions

Hey fellow pilots in the upper desert. How is the lake bed for flying turbines at the present time. The weather reports say it's been windy the past few days but how does the lake bed surface look. Smooth, rutted or what?

Thanks,

John
Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Rabbit Dry Lake conditions

The area where we usually fly is mostly fine although there are a couple spots which can be easily avoided.  You won't have any trouble.  The EDF guys with tiny wheels are doing ok.  There are some large areas on the east side where it is torn up.</p>

The winds have been high for the last month with occasional days where it has been more calm.</p>

This is a weather station just across the highway about a mile away where you can see current and past conditions:</p>

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers....asp?ID=MD4819</p>

This is a site that has aviation type weather forecasting with good visuals.  I've selected Daggett which tends to mirror Rabbit to a certain extent:</p>

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...t=Get+Forecast </p>

</p>

</p>
Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM
jpor22

Thanks for the update Rick. The weather forecast says the winds/gusts will continue into the weekend. Thursday looks to be at 16 - 19 mph, the day I had plans to come up on but... I'm not sure in view of this forecast. I may just wait until the winds drop into the 5-10 and below range .

John E.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Thud_Driver

You'll just have to watch the for a good day.  Lately, we sometimes catch a break for a couple hours in the morning before it ramps up.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM
jpor22

Yeah, thanks, but with an 1 1/2 hr. drive to get there I'd prefer a more solid forecast for lighter winds. At present it seems that it will die down in the next couple of days.
I'd be game for coming up early tomorrow if it looked better than current forecast for morning winds at 18-20mph. But, I can slways fly another day with the airplane still in one piece!
Thanks for the two weather sites, quite helpful.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Thud_Driver

No problem.