Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New To the RC world

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Russ27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To the RC world

I am completely new to the RC world. I was looking to get a car. I can do modifications,(was really good with airsoft guns). I was looking to spend around 150$ all in all. Can anyone help?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150.00 wont get rtr unless you come across something on ebay or craigslist. Tamiya, Traxxas and Associated offers some stuff close in that range but expect to spend some more dough.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Russ27

Do you know where I can learn some more stuff about them and how to upgrade them and stuff
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Zonked

What vehicles are you most interested in ? There is several different forums here devoted to just about every make/model and every possible mod or upgrade possible.

The most popular seem to be electric offroad and there is a lot of information available in that forum. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-e...gies-more-147/

Welcome to RCU and have fun
Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Only RTR's I can think of are 1/18th scale

There is the HPI Mini recon for $100, or you could just get a pro-pulse which is the same exact truck for $60 for RC hobby Explosion. RC18s are around that price too(would recommend those over the recon, this is from personal experience)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Russ27

I am looking for something fast and durable
Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the world of RC... if u love modifying.upgrading,tinkering,ect ect, RC cars are awesome!!!

there are so many adjustments to start with that u can play with
most rc cars have heaps of upgraded and aftermarket parts
and not to mention bodies and wheels.... its crazy how many options are out there

with that budget it is going to be hard to find something... no impossible just hard,

U have a few options

U could look at a smaller scale vehicle but they have here own issues related to size.
Look for something 2nd hand and all running
Look for something 2nd hand like a rolling chassis for a project... can get expensive, but can be cheap at the same time
Look for a Tamiya 1/10 buggy kit.... great value these days and there is some great clones
Look for a Tamiya 1/10 touring/drift/rally car, limited to onroad and *soothe dirt or gravel
cheap out on a low end brand RC....generally ends up costing more in the long run....

The idea is to find something that will be durable (to a point) fast, with lots of after market support to feed that mechanic style instinct????
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ27
I am looking for something fast and durable
With that low of a budget what you are asking for is not impossible, but highly improbable. To make it with that budget you would literally have to hit someone selling their stuff off dirt cheap.
If you want new then it is impossible you would have to at least double your budget just for the vehicle.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Russ27

What is the difference of a 380 motor and a 540 motor
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Zonked

What is the difference of a 380 motor and a 540 motor
Different size motors. Generally use 540 size motors for 1/10 scale cars
Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Russ27

What would be a good starting car that comes with everything for around $175 or so
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

I was looking to spend around 150$ all in all................. I am looking for something fast and durable
It's just not likely gonna happen, honestly. Not with quality, anyway. In all my kit buying, exactly one time have I lucked into a vehicle that was ready to run and met those parameters; it was an RC10GT I scored for $103 shipped and it only needed a new pull start & one-way bearing, which ran $25. But generally speaking, any decent used kit you get into for under $150 you can expect to need repairs that will put you over that budget. And a new RTR for $150 is not liklely to impress you.

You could probably pull it off with a smaller scale (1/16, 1/18, 1/24), but I get the impression you're looking for something bigger.

Up your budget to $300, it opens the doors to all kinds of possibilities in new RTR nitro or electric 1/10 and 1/8 vehicles
Old 08-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Zonked

What would be a good starting car that comes with everything for around $175 or so
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XBXHM&P=3#tech

Very good truck and its already brushless. Will still need batteries and a charger and they can be had for less than 75.00 pending on where you shop.

2S batteries

Charger

Power Supply

About as cheap and reliable as it gets starting out. Will give you plenty of enjoyment
Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Russ27

How fast does it go, and could I get a 7.2 LiPo with it without any upgrades
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Zonked

On a 2s 7.4v lipo it runs about 30-35 mph on flat ground and will do so without any upgrades or modifications.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not going to find much for that budget Russ. "Fast" and "Durable" tend to be mutually exclusive, unless the vehicle has been modified. That's not to say one cannot buy an RC that IS fast and durable, but you're gonna have to have a much bigger budget.

Some folks might snicker at my suggestion or call me a fanboy, but I think the Duratrax Evader is a good first RC. Tower has the EXT2 for $129. The EXT2.4 is $169 but comes with a 2.4ghz radio system instead of the old AM Tactic radio. Both come with brushed motor systems. Since this is your first RC and learning to drive without hitting stuff is the first order of business, it's fast enough. I would suggest getting a front bumper for it.

I started with the Evader three years ago. Eventually I put in a better steering servo and a brushless motor system, a 2.4ghz radio, metal diff, aluminum shocks, and better wheels & tires. The brushless motor doubled the top speed. Brushless motors also last almost indefinatly, as long as they don't get over-heated and the bearings are maintained/replaced. I run this system: http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html That's about as inexpensive as brushless systems get.

You'll need batteries and a charger too. I'd get this charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html $50 and it'll charge anything.
Batteries. Well, the Evader speed control does not handle LiPo batteries, so you'd better start with NiMh batteries. NiMhs come in 6-cell and 7-cell configurations. 7-cell = higher voltage = higher top speed . NiMhs will do you just fine while you learn to drive. When you get the need for speed, then you can upgrade to brushless and LiPo.

You asked about motor sizes, 540 vs 380. Most 1/10-scale RTRs in the budget range come with a 540-size brushed motor. It's kind of a standard size. A 380-size motor is physically smaller than a 540. The physical size of the motor can has a direct bearing on how much power it can produce, because of the increased size of the rotor and number of windings. The brushless motor system I linked above has a motor that LOOKS like a 540, but is really a 380-size can with heat-sink fins. A "finned-out" 380. A smaller can would mean less power, but not when comparing a 540 brushed motor to a 380 brushLESS motor. Out of the box, the Evader will barely reach 20mph (which sounds slow, but isn't). Put that EZrun system in there, and it'll do close to 40mph! That's WAY fast if yer driving off-road. But the Evader is small (3.5lbs & 16in long) compared to a 1/10-scale short course truck like the Slash (21in long and 5lbs+) Those trucks need a 540, or even a 550 if it's 4wd.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by Zonked
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XBXHM&P=3#tech

Very good truck and its already brushless. Will still need batteries and a charger and they can be had for less than 75.00 pending on where you shop.

2S batteries

Charger

Power Supply

About as cheap and reliable as it gets starting out. Will give you plenty of enjoyment
That DOES look like a pretty good truck!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Russ27

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
That DOES look like a pretty good truck!
http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c852-firey...FY87MgodnG4AGA
what do you think about this buggy
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Zonked

Well I could tell you what I think and you would not like it. The price hooks people in and the fact they are junk is what either scares people from this hobby or finally decide to get something better.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
EXT2Rob

+1 on that. One of the quirks of this hobby that you'll learn, Russ. While it's pretty safe to buy electronics from China (er, safe, that is reliability-wise. We're probably being poisoned with lead...) buying whole cars is something that isn't recommended. Once the thing breaks, and it will, where do you get parts?

General rule is, buy a car that, ideally, you have local parts support for, is rugged enough for your needs, and fits your budget. Having a local hobby store (LHS) is handy for those "oh crap, I just need one of THESE" moments. I try to support my LHS and order parts thru them. I may pay a buck or two more sometimes, but I save on shipping, and they get their cut. Bigger orders I may order online. But I don't do that often.

BTW, NitroRCX and HobbyPartz are the same company. I order LiPos, from them, bought my charger there, and a couple servos and EZrun motor systems. All have worked flawlessly. Their return policy is generous and fare IF you have an issue, which likely you won't. Their only problem is keeping stuff in stock!! ARG! I'm dying to get a couple Gens Ace 5000mah 50C 2S LiPo packs, but the've been out of stock for months!! The problem of literally waiting for a slow boat from China......
Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Russ27

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
+1 on that. One of the quirks of this hobby that you'll learn, Russ. While it's pretty safe to buy electronics from China (er, safe, that is reliability-wise. We're probably being poisoned with lead...) buying whole cars is something that isn't recommended. Once the thing breaks, and it will, where do you get parts?

General rule is, buy a car that, ideally, you have local parts support for, is rugged enough for your needs, and fits your budget. Having a local hobby store (LHS) is handy for those "oh crap, I just need one of THESE" moments. I try to support my LHS and order parts thru them. I may pay a buck or two more sometimes, but I save on shipping, and they get their cut. Bigger orders I may order online. But I don't do that often.

BTW, NitroRCX and HobbyPartz are the same company. I order LiPos, from them, bought my charger there, and a couple servos and EZrun motor systems. All have worked flawlessly. Their return policy is generous and fare IF you have an issue, which likely you won't. Their only problem is keeping stuff in stock!! ARG! I'm dying to get a couple Gens Ace 5000mah 50C 2S LiPo packs, but the've been out of stock for months!! The problem of literally waiting for a slow boat from China......
Thank you for your time and wisdom! Thank you everyone else that helped also. One more question. What do you need to be LiPo ready ?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Russ27

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCUKNBB&P=ML
What about this one. It seems nice
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
EXT2Rob

There ya go! You're LiPO ready right there. The Arrma's have an all-metal tranny and the ESC has a programable LiPo Low Voltage Cut-Off, which is what you need to run LiPo. It has a brushed motor, but presumeably you can upgrade to a brushless motor somehow. Brushed motors use two wires, brushless use three, so I don't know how Arrma deals with that. Maybe an extra terminal on the ESC?

Here is a good writeup with some good info:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ead-first.html

You're still going to need a charger. And the Arrma ESCs come with a Tamiya Molex battery connector. Ditch it! Replace it with a Traxxas or Deans connector. Get one (male) for your charger too/

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 08-16-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 PM
EXT2Rob

Hey Russ, here is a link on LiPo Batteries that is good to have. Answers a lot of questions you may have about new battery technology.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html