Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine cut off and Futaba 14ch

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
telejojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cut off and Futaba 14ch

I can't get my engine cut off to work with my fasst 14ch futaba.I am using a 12fg and 14ch rec. and 2ail2flaps and alivator and aux3 which is channel 10 and nothing no matter which switch I put it on.I put it on a 7 channel and it worked fine.So what's up? I called Futaba or Tower and they said it may be the 14ch puts out 2.7 volts to the signal wire and the 7ch 3 volts.I have a 14ch in a corsair and it works.Something is not right I unpluged my gear servo and pluged in the aux 3 channel and it worked but not the rexcel engine cut off.I'm at my ropes end.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You may need to adjust the travel and limit endpoints for the channel you're using to control the engine cutoff device.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is the light staying on on the rcexl unit? or is it switching off but the engine staying running?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM
telejojo

The light is never coming on,there is nothing going through the cut off switch,
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Did you enable the switch your using?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:18 AM
telejojo

Originally Posted by Cyberwolf
Did you enable the switch your using?
I don't know what you mean by enable it's got to be enabled or it would'nt work the gear servo when I plugged it in.I look on the servo monitor and it's going all the way up and down when I hit the switch.It won't even lite the light on any position.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM
telejojo

I was using a 6017FS 14channel rec and it only puts out 2.7v to the signal wire I put a 6017HS rec. puts out 3v and the cutoff switch worked fine.So i guess you can't use a cutoff switch with 6017FS............why only 2.7v I don't know.I have 2 of the FS REC. that are worthless for any plane I have with a gas engine.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Cyberwolf

If you are using the gear switch for landing gear I doubt very much it can double duty and operate two functions at the same time. Another switch should be used for the engine kill.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM
telejojo

Originally Posted by Cyberwolf
If you are using the gear switch for landing gear I doubt very much it can double duty and operate two functions at the same time. Another switch should be used for the engine kill.
DUH I did that just to test the switch and of course would'nt work on 2.7v I unpluged the gear servo...............
Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Cyberwolf

Ok I missread your post, the gear switch should be active at all times,but the other extra switch's,sliders and knobs may not be unless they are enabled, your book explains how this is done and allows a person to move functions to different switch's,sliders and knobs'. I had similar issue's with my 7 channel reciever with the fail safe trying to get things to work W/O any luck. But on the other hand the 14 channels recievers work just fine.
I had a 7 cap the other day the engine kill would not work although the throttle worked fine, the reason was the fact the throttle kill button was not enabled.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by telejojo
I was using a 6017FS 14channel rec and it only puts out 2.7v to the signal wire I put a 6017HS rec. puts out 3v and the cutoff switch worked fine.So i guess you can't use a cutoff switch with 6017FS............why only 2.7v I don't know.I have 2 of the FS REC. that are worthless for any plane I have with a gas engine.
Well first off since your original posts indicated that you're using the Futaba 6014FS and not a "6017FS"..... I'll guess we're still talking about the original Futaba 14 channel rx, the 6014FS?

If that's the case, I'll tell you what Bax and other orange T-shirt fan boys will not; Futaba really laid an egg with that rx. They increased the processor speed which requires more power and generates more heat, They cut the operating voltage to the servos back to 2.7 volts to try and keep the heat down but it didn't really work. Created LOTS of issues for guys in hotter climates with the rx's shutting down unexpectedly at around 120 degrees F althought the test results some private individuals posted showed that temperature where they shut down could vary. Futaba pulled this same stunt with another troublesome rx some years ago and really wanted to shut Hitec out of being used with their stuff. Hitec did an end run around 'em and lowered the required signal voltage on their servos.

While some will claim they've used the 6014FS rx's without issue, there isn't a way in the world I'd use one of those rx's in a spendy model. Futaba never did admit there was a problem or they'd have had to fix or replace all those rx's and that replacement is what I'm going to recommend you do with those rx's. Futaba fixed that particular low signal voltage problem along with several others including the heat related shut downs, with the release of the 6014HS rx.

Just sign me a former Futaba user....

Last edited by Zeeb; 08-15-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 PM
telejojo

Oh yea BAX just blew me off saying Futaba works with Futaba and anything else you are on your own.Yes they f@$&% up on the 14ch. 6017fs and just won't say it.I will put them in a cheap glow plane but that's it, and I would'nt do that if I could sell them.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well first off since your original posts indicated that you're using the Futaba 6014FS and not a "6017FS"..... I'll guess we're still talking about the original Futaba 14 channel rx, the 6014FS?

If that's the case, I'll tell you what Bax and other orange T-shirt fan boys will not; Futaba really laid an egg with that rx. They increased the processor speed which requires more power and generates more heat, They cut the operating voltage to the servos back to 2.7 volts to try and keep the heat down but it didn't really work. Created LOTS of issues for guys in hotter climates with the rx's shutting down unexpectedly at around 120 degrees F althought the test results some private individuals posted showed that temperature where they shut down could vary. Futaba pulled this same stunt with another troublesome rx some years ago and really wanted to shut Hitec out of being used with their stuff. Hitec did an end run around 'em and lowered the required signal voltage on their servos.

While some will claim they've used the 6014FS rx's without issue, there isn't a way in the world I'd use one of those rx's in a spendy model. Futaba never did admit there was a problem or they'd have had to fix or replace all those rx's and that replacement is what I'm going to recommend you do with those rx's. Futaba fixed that particular low signal voltage problem along with several others including the heat related shut downs, with the release of the 6014HS rx.

Just sign me a former Futaba user....
This could quite possible be the most humorous, if not so misinformed post ever on this site. I'll file it with the 9/11 conspiracy buff postings.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by K-Bob
This could quite possible be the most humorous, if not so misinformed post ever on this site. I'll file it with the 9/11 conspiracy buff postings.
Truth hurts don't it????? lol

HUGE threads over on FG about the overheating shutdowns and low signal current issues with the 6014FS. Then there was even the JR/Spektrum magazine add which showed a DSM2 rx with the case completely melted and it still worked. Then there were the "white dot" 6014's followed by a "gold dot" as Futaba made modifications to the components of the 6014FS and finally a real fix with the 6014HS rx's.

Posts like yours should require that you also have a picture of you wearing your orange fanboy T-shirt included....
Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

HUGE threads over on FG about the overheating shutdowns and low signal current issues with the 6014FS. Then there was even the JR/Spektrum magazine add which showed a DSM2 rx with the case completely melted and it still worked. Then there were the "white dot" 6014's followed by a "gold dot" as Futaba made modifications to the components of the 6014FS and finally a real fix with the 6014HS rx's.

Posts like yours should require that you also have a picture of you wearing your orange fanboy T-shirt included....
Every radio mfgr. has had their share of major design problems. You have documented one of them but not 100% correctly. I could write volumes about the many issues and every company would be covered. Even the, I'm sure I only know a few of them. No orange shirt wearer here ...... I buy my own shirts and they are usually some shade of gray!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Every radio mfgr. has had their share of major design problems. You have documented one of them but not 100% correctly. I could write volumes about the many issues and every company would be covered. Even then, I'm sure I only know a few of them. No orange shirt wearer here ...... I buy my own shirts and they are usually some shade of gray!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember some others having problems with the Optical on/off switch on some Futaba RX's. Namely the 14 channel one. But it isn't just Futaba either. Some other brands have had the same problem. You can fix the problem by using a booster extension. The Booster extension has a circuit inside that amplifies the servo signal from 2.7 v or 3.0 v up to 5 v. This then fixes the problem where the optical switch can read the signal. A lot of us simply make our own using a hex inverter or a nand gate integrated circuit too. Choose a IC that has capability to read lower input voltages and output a signal that can approach the rail voltage (battery voltage). They do sell booster cables already made up for those who are electronically challenged etc.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

And pictures of JR/Specky fanboys such as yourself who, turn isolated, rare issues into great big conspiracies, should have their picture made with their head up their butt where they stay most of the time. I can't believe, well yes I can given the level of intellect displayed, that you would use the fact that a sub-par manufacturer would print a low-brow ad about their imminently superior competitor as evidence that a real problem existed.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:13 PM
earlwb

As I remember it, those receiver overheating and shutting down issues happened way early when Futaba first released their FAAST 2.4ghz systems. That was because people were treating the RX's like the old 72mhx FM RX's and were wrapping them up in thick foam padding to protect them and that caused them to overheat. But actually everyone else with 2.4ghz radios and RX's had the exact same problem, it wasn't just a Futaba issue either. At the time the voltage regulator inside the RX would overheat and turn itself off for a while. It needed a little air circulation. When it was fall, winter and spring it wasn't a problem as it was colder then, but when summer kicked in and everything got hot, then it would happen. But nowadays we just velcro the RX to something and leave it open, it doesn't need thick padding, etc to protect it from engine vibration. Heck Spektrum on their super duper giant scale RX's with dual battery feeds has screw mounting tabs for mounting inside the airplane. Anyway since people figured out they don't need to wrap the 2.4ghz RX's in thick foam padding, then no one has the overheating problem anymore.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by K-Bob
And pictures of JR/Specky fanboys such as yourself who, turn isolated, rare issues into great big conspiracies, should have their picture made with their head up their butt where they stay most of the time. I can't believe, well yes I can given the level of intellect displayed, that you would use the fact that a sub-par manufacturer would print a low-brow ad about their imminently superior competitor as evidence that a real problem existed.
Believe or not, the JR/Spektrum rx continued to function at 325 degrees F, a whole h*ll of a lot more than where the first 6014FS rx's were shutting down. And for earlwb who has a more reasoned approach; yes Futaba started recommending that the rx's not be completely wrapped in foam but that didn't have anything to do with the switch to the 2.4GHz band 'cause they didn't have any problems with their earlier lower channel rx's, or did they???? Nope that was the tx's and the Zero GUID issue wasn't it???

Any way, common computer issue when you speed things up and cram more functions onto the chip/board assembly it requires more power. More power generates more heat so they try to cut the operating voltage on the processor so it doesn't get so hot. Ask Intel about heat and the Pentium 4 processors. So when Futaba cut the power to the guts of the rx, there wasn't enough to run 3.0 volts to the signal buss. And then the overheating shut down issue surfaced with a vengence mostly in the southwestern USA and individual testers demonstrated that the tx could shut down at temps as low as 105 degrees F. Not unusual for those geographic areas or models with canisters or pipes inside the fuselage to warm things up.

Enter the "white dot" 6014's; new board and components and guess what? A 3.0 volt servo signal voltage but they still shut down when hot. Now we see the "gold dot" rx's and again another change of the components and the overheating shutdown issue seemed to be cured. Now we get a 6014 "HS" for high speed which Futaba claims is the reason for the release but funny thing, it only high speeds on the first six channels....

And that's not the only rx. How 'bout all the monkey business with the 5014 72MHz rx's? I rember seeing an official recommendation from Futaba to cut some of the antenna length off to try and cure the problems with that rx until they released the 5114 which had a fix. Now we can talk about the R149 rx's; well no I don't really want to get into that mess, I lived it once and that was enough.

No your mixture of low brow insults and attempt to show a superior vocabulary have done nothing to convince me nor anyone here who wasn't already a fanboy of some system.

As for earlwb's suggestion about a boosted signal line; Spektrum has put out some warnings about that, not sure if it's just straight boosted lines or reversing Y-harness. Hitec has some signal boosters for the big digitals that was supposed to cure the 7950's woes but it didn't really cover the fact that Hited really messed up with that servo. Don't know if they ever did figure that one out, a pretty sharp lady from Austrailia came up with a fix but Hitec couldn't see their way to buy it from her. Huge threads on those issues over on FG as well.

Okay I've droned on long enough, the OP has what he needs to know and further discussion with K-Bob is pointless.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
earlwb

Ok then, so since the 14 channel receiver outputs a 2.7 volt signal. Then a booster cable would work with the optical switch. Thanks for confirming the output signal voltage level. But yes, you are correct in that not all servos would like it. Fortunately the OP is using a optical switch.

I forgot to say that not all booster cables will work as they may not like the lower output signal voltage either.
But here is one specifically designed for the 2.7v that the Futaba 14 channel receiver outputs. http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Servo-Sig...oster-Amp.html
That ought to do the trick with the optical on/off switch unit.

Last edited by earlwb; 08-18-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo correction