Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG 17 Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 AM
johnpope60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito FG 17 Setup

I began breaking in my new FG17 a couple days ago. First day it ran great for about 15 minutes. Then it started cutting on / off--- on/ off ---on /off. I thought it was almost out of fuel but the tank still had almost 3 ounces left. I ran it again yesterday with the same results. Ran great for 10 - 15 min. Then started on and off. on and off. Any ideas ? Thanks as Always
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi john sorry i answered in the glow thread and the memory must have a short circuit somewhere i thought you said you had a fg21.The 17 is the old 82 right? and saito have had their share of problems converting them to gas which they willingly fix i might add.Operater errors arn't unheard of either and it pays to read the engine manual carefully a few times because the translation is a bit iffy.The main gripes with early gas conversions were carb/ignition and plug related.Use the cm6 plug and check ignition.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've helped tune an FG14 and the manual wasn't even close concerning the needle settings. They have since updated the manual. After getting it tuned for break-in it's running OK but it's a constant adjustment to keep it running right. I've also been frustrated along with the owner of an FG20 trying to get the thing to run above half throttle. After two replacement carbs and three updated manuals we are about ready to throw in the towel. I know some have been successful with them after making modifications and/or replacing components but it shouldn't require that..........not for the price they ask for these engines! The only good thing to say about it is that it idles like a Swiss watch!,,,,,,,,but that's about it.
I hope you are lucky with your FG17 and it ends up running OK, Be prepared to fiddle and keep fiddling with the needle settings.