Go Back  RCU Forums > RCU Rules & FAQs > RCUniverse.com FAQ
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 P51 Blue Nose

Community
Search
Notices
RCUniverse.com FAQ RCU''s most frequently asked questions.

Hanger 9 P51 Blue Nose

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM
groovedingo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 P51 Blue Nose

Can anyone explain to me how to position engine mounts on Blue Nose Mustang...I want to install a DLE 20. Cheers
Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 AM
chuckk2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The corrected manual on Horizon's web site describes the general process for a beam mount engine fairly well.
I don't know if the provided template matches your engine.
In general , you have to determine which way you want to mount the engine first. (Cylinder up, down, sideways, or at an angle.
Depending on your choices, the mount orientation will change, obviously.
The next concern is how to locate the engine so that the engine shaft and propeller hub end up in exactly the right place
at the front of the cowl. (Perhaps the hardest part) The engine mounts and or firewall may be offset deliberately to provide thrust correction, or not.
How I might proceed - -
Mount the engine on the beam mounts just snugly enough to get things aligned.
P-51s have a tight narrow cowl, so the engine will likely end up down or to one side.
I usually have the fuselage vertical, with the firewall up and more or less level so that the engine and beam mount
will just set there if possible. If not, small dabs of canopy glue or even CR can be used to hold it in place temporarily.
With a really difficult situation, you may want to make a flat template that can be attached to the beam mount
instead of the engine. The real problems occur when you need to cut the cowl for the engine. A fair amount of trial and error
may occur, and worst case, ordering a replacement cowl. (HAN24208, $28.99)
One of the H9 P-51 ARFs came with a clear cowl that you could use to draw on with a felt tip,
and see through.