Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

what would you start with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what would you start with?

a idea that has been in my head for some time is to build a 1/5 electric onroad car out of something else.

I would prefer 4wd, but ive considered 2wd to maybe make it easier.

The main goal would be to build a car for no more than $300. That means starting with a used chassis/driveline. The body alone would be $100 im sure.

A emaxx drive line and suspension arms and hubs came to mind. I don't think it would be to hard to stretch the width and length with custom chassis. 14mm-17mm hex adapters could make use of 1/8 onroad wheels. Not sure if there would be hub clearance issue tho.

starting with a 1/8 buggy was another thought. Maybe an ofna....

Yet another would to use a 1/8 front end....traxxas trans in the middle and axial axle in the back (2wd live axle)

Im not thinking of building a race car, and the size alone should mean that even a 2wd would handle decent.

Id be aiming for 30mph. so a 775 brushed system or a 1/8 brushless would be plenty of power.

what chassis or driveline would you guys start with?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fun project.... I guess I would start with a body.... Then when u have a body u can measure the required wheel base and track.

Only thing I've seen that's cheap is the smarttech/Carson touring car bodies but I think they will be closer to $200 including postage.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ouch, $200...why?
I wish redcat still made that 1/5 rally car. I can get their truck bodies for $60.
I know I have seen some 1/5 car bodies for around $100...might have been used tho.

I agree that final design would require body 1st. I was just trying to think what would be best to build it out of. If I got say an older emaxx, I can adjust the wheelbase and width to match the body. Obviously, Im not going to find a 1/8 model that will match up to a 1/5 onroad body in wheelbase or track.

I think 1/5 onroad is sadly lacking in the rc world. Yes, I know there are a few high-end 1/5 gassers....but even the offroads Baja's are now being offered in brushless form. And IMO, a offroad is much harder to build, as it has to be much stronger. A 1/5 offroad has much less to contend with. No jumping, mostly even ground ect. It should be easy for rc companies to make a 1/5 onroad chassis that is lighter than offroad versions. Lighter should mean less material, less cost, and since it would weigh less it should be pretty quick even with a 4 pole 1/8 scale system.

I still have a 1/5 rampage truck body.....been looking for a used 1/10 or 1/8 or even crawler to mod to fit that body. Even considered modding a Tamiya lunch box roller I have, just the wheel options made it not work.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 PM
phmaximus

Hey just thinking u could make the rampage body into a onroad car.... I would be very rare, I can't think of any long wheelbase onroad pickup trucks in any scale....

Because its its not as wide it should give u more chassis options....
im picturing a scale looking 1/5 truck with say... A slash 2wd front end and a wraith rear end....and if the front is a little bit to narrow u could widen it via the proline pro tack kit and spacer for the rear...
Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 PM
phmaximus

I do agree that there is a massive hole in 1/5 onroad... There are no low end models... Last year there was some but they are gone?

Dont know about u guys but I think it would be cool to see a 1/5 rally car with a licensed body for under $1000...

as for 1/5 brushless... I personally love the idea... But no one has perfected it yet.
the biggest thing is, run times vs cost..... The gasses are good for 45min... But to keep a brushless 1/5 going for that long it need the battery power...and those high discharge batteries are expensive

say for example a lot of guys have converted the losi 5ive to brushless. But the cost out weights the $1500 they original payed for the truck... Some are spending 1k just on a ESC!
The end result is somewhat scary.... 20hp brushless combo.....crazy, just crazy...where, Most people are happy with a 3.5hp gasser lol

what we need is companies like HobbyWing to start making even more powerful ESC..... Imagine a 300a xerun or ezrun... Or a 500a for the guys that like to run on 15s.... Wow 15s imagine that....then some random Chinese company to copy a FG onroad car...