Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

help - lite machines corona

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

help - lite machines corona

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 09:45 PM
njwordy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - lite machines corona

Hello all,

I have been having problems with my lite machines corona. This is the first helicopter i have built or flown.

I bought the kit that comes with lite machine's own motor (electro fusion 7 or something like that) and it cuts out for a split second every once in a while while flying. This only happens at a specific throttle setting. Unfortunately, this is the setting i use for landing the helicopter. I have already had to replace a broken tail boom and the section at the end of the tail boom where the gearing for the tail rotor goes because of the many crashes this problem has caused.

I researched the problem, and found an article that talked about chokes that limit interference from radio or engine components. It sounds like this is the problem i have. Should i buy a choke and install it between the speed control and the motor?

I also had another idea. I have a spare reciever battery pack lying around, and i thought i could use that to power the reciever instead of the main 7 cell battery in an effort to fix the problem. I don't know if this would work, and if it did, would it be too heavy?

any help would be great

thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 09:59 PM
KnimRod

Default RE: help - lite machines corona

Sounds like glitching. This is sort of common with brushed motors because the brushes arc on the commutator. A brushed motor can be a major source of radiated noise. Clean the com per LMH maintenance instructions and check brushes for wear. Do you see lots of arcing from the endbell of the motor? Improper timing and excessive wear of the brushes or com can cause this and the resultant interference.

The single best thing I did to resolve all of my Corona glitching issues was to move the electronics away from the motor (except the ESC). The receiver was moved to the the right rear of the crutch where I no longer had to use any servo extensions and I built a small platform on the crutch, above the tailboom for the gyro.

Glitching? What glitching?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Wright Flyer

The EF7 motor is basically crap (am I allowed to say that?) it overheats and can even seize and can also cause the ESC to melt completely (ask me how I know!). Glitching is just one of it's many symptoms. Most people replace the EF7 with a Kyosho Atomic Force for $20 from Tower Hobbies.

Better yet splash the cash and get a brushless (like Mega 16/15/3) - your Corona will thank you for it!

Cliff
Old 09-25-2003, 04:14 PM
njwordy

If i bought an atomic force or mega brushless motor, would i need a new speed controller, and will the originial pinion gear from the lite machines kit fit on it?

also, what do the numbers 16/15/3 on the mega motor stand for?

thanks
Old 09-29-2003, 03:08 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Hi, if you get a brushless motor, you will need a sensorless esc made for brushless motors commonly referred to as brushless esc.

Yes, the stock pinion will fit on it and work fine, you may have to go to 8 cells though on that Mega, the stock fusion motor does suck (ask em how I know too! lol) but it is pretty powerful, I even ran mine on 6 cells and was fine. but the Mega is milder and will need more voltage although 7 cells may be ok for a little while. The 16/15 has to do with the size of the motor and the /3 stands for how many turns.

oh, btw, if you got the Atomic Force motor, you can use your existing esc as this motor is brushed...