Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Need my M-05 faster...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 AM
Bonzai316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need my M-05 faster...

Hi there everyone

I have been racing for quite a while now, and I race in the mini (Tamiya M-03 / M-05 class)

I have done some hop ups etc.

I need to know what more can I do to pick up my lap times with a few seconds. (We race on tar tracks), and there's 2 other racers that is a tad faster than I am on the straight.

Here's my setup:
  • Sport Tuned Motor (Highest Brushed motor allowed according to Tamiya Cup Rules), only other motor allowed 14T sensorless Brushless (Too expensive and I'm not a big fan of brushless yet...)
  • Standard Tamiya ESC
  • Aluminium Steering parts
  • Bearings all around
  • Re-inforced Gear Set
  • Coated 20T Pinion Gear
  • M-Grip Tyres Radials
  • Normal Grease in Gearbox
  • 1 degree toe-in on front

My weight on my car is now 1.270 and minimum is 1.200...so cant really go less there.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

installing standard 1/10 scale size touring car wheels and tires will gain a few MPH. i remember back in the late 90's that was a big thing to do. it looked stupid, but it was faster.

and oil shocks if you don't already have them. majorly helps out handling and tunability.
also universal drive shafts. i know my M03 cornered smoother after i installed a set.

Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 01-14-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

performance wise where do u suspect it might be lacking?

if u want some more speed and acceleration
clean out all the oil from the bearings and lubricate them with a garage door lube.(dry silicon spray) U will be amazed but how fast they will freely spin.
Then clean all the grease from the gearbox and use the same lube....but... this time coat the gears. let them dry overnight, then repeat 1 more time.

and why u are at it why not add some more silicon.....if u want less chance of front inner wheel peeling out coming out of the turns, clean all the grease from the diff and fill it up 1/3 way with some 300k diff oil and seal it with some RTV... keep in mind it will leak...so will need checking before each race meet.
or get one of these and fill it up
http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-m0606-...Path=1102_1106

And if u are after some more balance. buy 4 cheap ebay special scales. then play around with the ESC and receiver placement until u can get the left to right weights within 10% of each other.
Allso its a good way to see if there is any dominate springs and where they are, is it Right hand front, left hand rear or Left hand front and right hand rear

Last edited by phmaximus; 01-15-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Bonzai316

Thanks for the replies.

The bigger wheels wont be an option, as it's not really race legal. Also the M06 diff is not legal.

Im thinking about the universal shafts, and I also thought of the oil lubrication on the gears instead of the grease.

I would like to get more acceleration around the corners.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 AM
R32GolfTA06

I usually change my pinion gears to make the car go faster or slowly, as this helps gear the car up or down..
Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are u able to use the stock diff just oil filled?

i should clarify, the bearing oil mod is not primarily for speed. It's more to do with rolling resistance.it might even pay to take the motor out and give it a push and make sure everything is nice and smoothe.